Upcoming Releases

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 07:13:19 PM

mogwai

Quote from: Pubrickany idea what u ppl would charge for sumthing like that, mogs?
about £29,99.

that's $70,11 (aud)

Pubrick

awesome, thanks.

and just to flesh out this post a bit, i'll mention that it's a shame there's no commentaries. u just know u'd hear him snuff it during one of them.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

We recently received a communication from Metrodome regarding their forthcoming release of the 4 Films by Lukas Moodysson boxed set. It appears that some fans of Show Me Love are less than enthusiastic about the film's proposed 4:3 transfer. Here is Metrodome's official line on the subject:

We have received quite a few missives from disgruntled DVD buyers about the May release of Lukas Moodysson's 4 Disc Box Set and would like to address the concerns and displeasure from the most honest viewpoint, free from conjecture and "back seat" DVD production that unfortunately fans the flames of discontent rather unfairly.

While the sentiments of those who have emailed us are understandable, it is an all too familiar chorus from consumers who, quite frankly, are not at all familiar with the processes of independent distribution - an arena which is sadly not as blessed with the unlimited ancillary funds of a major studio. I fully expect this reply may "not be good enough" for many who wrote in and while I apologise and echo their disappointment as a consumer that the "definitive" release of "Show Me Love" is not on the horizon, I also am all too aware of the logistical reasons that are not always obvious to the average consumers, reasons that impact greatly on these niche releases.

Quite simply, Memfis do not have a widescreen video master available. The digi beta was originally created for the VHS release by Momentum in 2001. Unfortunately, due to "Show Me Love"'s status as a smaller arthouse release, it was not cost effective to pay a substantial amount upfront to convert this in a 16x9 transfer and lose picture information which would have done a disservice to the film, or - always the most desirable - create a band new widescreen transfer via telecine from the original negative.

We understand that completists are expecting the best possible releases of their desired product, but the reality is, that the business side of the equation takes precedent. It is a business after all. We were aware that many fans would not take kindly to this but we wanted the box set to come out in conjunction with the release of 'A Hole In My Heart' and we simply couldn't wait for the possibility that this may happen at some point, someday, hopefully sooner rather than later. As an independent distributor we can only work with what we've been supplied. This may be undertaken in the future by Memfis themselves, but we wanted to make a true retrospective of Moodysson's work available that included his newest and his first pictures together for the first time.

We are often at the behest of the original production company or sales agent with regards to these kinds of releases, in this case, Memfis Films in Sweden who have generously supplied  and sub-licensed us with a film to create a definitive retrospective of an important European talent, which is in a 4:3 Letterboxed transfer identical in ratio to the video release of 2001. It is not panned and scanned. In addition, as opposed to the current Region 1 edition, we have not used burnt in subtitles and have them as player generated. Memfis and Lukas Moodysson themselves are quite happy that we will have the best possible version of the film, from the materials supplied to us, available for the UK market.

For a UK market that is substantially smaller than the market for, say, Criterion or other major independents, the cost effectiveness must unfortunately be taken into account lest we lose money on "wish list" releases and risk not being able to release anything at all in the future. With the continued support and understanding of the DVD community, we will be able to prove that the vibrant sales of such perceived niche product are worth the initial investments by the companies involved.

Ravi

What happened to you, man?  You used to be so cool, but now you're all about the money.  You've changed, man, you've changed.

cine

frank whaley
swimming with sharks
dolphin signature

something fishy's going on here..

MacGuffin

Other titles newly announced from Buena Vista include My Left Foot: Special Edition on 8/16...

:multi:

Quote from: M
June 7

Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Commentary with actor Kevin Spacey
Commentary with Director George Huang
Commentary with Director George Huang and Actor Frank Whaley
Back to the Tank: Swimming Ten Years Later
Shark Tales: Life as a Hollywood Assistant
Let's Do Lunch: A Conversation with Colleagues
Deleted Scenes
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=6615&n=1&burl=

Title: Ben Hur
Starring: Charlton Heston
Released: September 2005
SRP: Price TBC

Further Details

Warner has kindly sent over artwork for a four-disc collector's edition of Ben Hur which should be arriving in shops this September. The set has yet to be officially announced I'm afraid, so details are still pretty sketchy at the moment. However, we can confirm that the set will feature an all-new transfer from newly restored 65mm elements, as well as the original 1925 silent film version of Ben-Hur. As for the extra material, you should expect an all new documentary, scene specific commentary by Charlton Heston, a Making of an Epic Documentary, screen tests and more. We'll bring you the full spec rundown, just as soon as we get it.

Redlum

Available subtitles: English, Spanish
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
Biography: Anna and the King - The Real Story of Anna Leonowens

Finally! Such a good film.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Variety is reporting briefly today that Warner Bros. will finally release the fully-restored, original 1933 version of King Kong on DVD later this year, likely shortly BEFORE Peter Jackson's re-imagined version hits theaters on December 14th
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

well duh, Variety.   :roll:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

On 9/6, look for The Deer Hunter: Special Edition (SRP $26.98 ), a 2-disc set featuring anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary with cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, video of the acceptance of the Best Picture Award, the Anatomy of a Scene featurette, deleted and extended scenes, production notes and the film's original theatrical trailer.

Also on 9/6, you'll get The Sting: Special Edition (SRP $26.98 ), a 2-disc set featuring anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 audio, The Art of The Sting retrospective documentary, the film's theatrical trailer and production notes.

Again on 9/6, Universal will street its To Kill a Mockingbird: Special Edition (SRP $26.98 ), also a 2-disc set featuring the original full frame video, Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 mono audio, DTS 5.1 audio, audio commentary with director Robert Mulligan and producer Alan Pakula, the Fearful Symmetry "making of" documentary, the A Conversation with Gregory Peck featurette, video of Peck's Academy Award Best Actor acceptance speech, video of Peck receiving the American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award, a video excerpt from an Academy tribute to Gregory Peck, the Scout Remembers featurette and the film's theatrical trailer.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I thought To Kill a Mockingbird was 1.85:1.

Redlum

Hmm at first DTS and a 5.1 soundtrack seems a bit absurd for TKAMB, but then I remember the score and it I can understand the appeal. But apart from that its the same special features I believe.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaviI thought To Kill a Mockingbird was 1.85:1.

According to the previous DVD release (although not anamorphic) and IMDB, it was. It must be a typo.

Quote from: ®edlumBut apart from that its the same special features I believe.

All this is new:

Quote from: MacGuffinthe A Conversation with Gregory Peck featurette, video of Peck's Academy Award Best Actor acceptance speech, video of Peck receiving the American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award, a video excerpt from an Academy tribute to Gregory Peck, the Scout Remembers featurette

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: ®edlumHmm at first DTS and a 5.1 soundtrack seems a bit absurd for TKAMB, but then I remember the score and it I can understand the appeal. But apart from that its the same special features I believe.

Well, there are DTS versions of From Here to Eternity and Dr. Strangelove...

TKAMB CE looks more like the "I Love Gregory Peck Edition."  Is the doc the same one included on the previous DVD, LD, and widescreen VHS?