the apprentice

Started by ©brad, January 29, 2004, 09:24:57 PM

©brad

okay, let me preface this by saying i am emphatically, adamantly, fanatically against reality tv in all its forms.

but...

well, first queer eye and now this. as much as it pains me, i really enjoy this new show.

so okay, everyone says the girls are flopping their chesticles around and that's why they're winning every week. BUT, i think the guys just suck. i can't imagine out of 16,000 applicants, these are the best candidates. (well duh, obviously they pick good looking ppl and a few retards (sam) to drive up those ratings)

but anyhow, anyone else watch?

Pubrick

nah i dont' watch.

but i wanted to mention that out of reality tv i had lost all hope, until late one nite i saw the full re-run of the first season/round of The Next Top Model, with tyra banks u know? and goddamn i liked that show. never really liked modelling and all that shit, so i think it's just a fluke, but that elyse chick was the best thing that ever happened to reality TV. end.
under the paving stones.

ono

I'm in the same boat as you: really against reality TV, but am kinda liking this show.  Problem is, I was watching Bill Maher's show on HBO, and he had a really good point: it's bullshit because week after week the girls play the pussy card (Maher's words, pretty much).  That isn't business smarts.  It only puts the efforts of honest women back, say, oh, fifty years, and is degrading to everyone involved in the show.  At least tonight a woman who works for Trump called them on it.

The black chick with the fucked up name is one of the most annoying bitches I've ever met in my life.  I hope she goes next, though there aren't too many other great women there.  The idea of pitting men against women was bad in the first place.  Seems to me the men were much more business-savvy, especially with the airplane ads, but again, the pussy thing got in the way.  Decent show, but I wouldn't really make an effort to watch it unless I don't have anything else to do.  The Friends and Will and Grace lead-ins will really help the show.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Reality TV is that fad that sucked even before it was conceived.

There's no real exception.

People who know they're on camera don't act "real."  It's insulting to the intelligence of America by thinking that they don't understand this...wait...America...nevermind...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pedro

about that not acting real comment...well, i think with the real world (the show), especially, people are acting how they would normally.  most of the manufactured "drama" comes from editing.  what happens over time is, you stop to realize that there's a camera there.  I recently shot a documentary.  The first hour's completely unusable.  However, after that time, the subjects start forgetting there's a camera there.  That's just how it works.

NEON MERCURY

.. i like reality tv b/c it's real..sitcoms and other shows suck b/c they are not real....

pete

I liked that reality show waaaay back then that got cancelled called American High.  It was like Freaks and Geeks, but with non-actors.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Weak2ndAct

While I might not be a huge fan of the show, there's something very wonderful about weasel arguing in the end and Donald Trump annoucing "You're fired!"

Kal

I'm just pissed about the way these ladies are winning... and Yes the guys are just idiots... The good thing is that Donald Trump is running it and he knows perfectly well which are idiots so at the end I think he will hire the best candidate... and maybe he will fire him/her fast

SoNowThen

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaProblem is, I was watching Bill Maher's show on HBO, and he had a really good point: it's bullshit because week after week the girls play the pussy card (Maher's words, pretty much).  That isn't business smarts.  It only puts the efforts of honest women back, say, oh, fifty years, and is degrading to everyone involved in the show.

Y'know, I'm definitely not the first one to defend women, but I think this is bunk. Why shouldn't they use all their weapons? Men have been unashamedly using every which way to try and get ahead for the last forever amount of time, it's only fair that gals can too. Look, if we're so stupid as to get hooped in by a chick's looks (and we are), then more power to them. Now, a truly smart gal would know just how much she can rely on her chest, and at which point to switch over and prove her intelligence -- and if she can do that, in this day and age, she can pretty much have the world.

EDIT: I don't want anyone to misconstrue this into me saying "sleep your way to the top". That's not it. There is a very clear line between being sly and cunning and advantageous, and being a whore.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Quote from: SoNowThenLook, if we're so stupid as to get hooped in by a chick's looks (and we are), then more power to them.
Speak for yourself.  Not all men are taken by a woman with nothing to offer but good looks, which, let's face it, is all that most of the women on The Apprentice have going for them.  I haven't seen any real flashes of intelligence on any of them.  There's a word for women like that, and it's called "slut."

SoNowThen

Okay, maybe "looks" was a little too specific, but if there's one guy on this board who can tell me he's never been taken by a woman before, then I'll call him a liar.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Raikus

Quote from: aclockworkPReality TV is that fad that sucked even before it was conceived.

There's no real exception.
American Chopper

Although now it appears they've really sold out to AOL. Watch the Superbowl.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

©brad

well the girls don't act like they've had any business training whatsoever. some of the guys do.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Raikus
American Chopper

Never watched it.  I'm sure it isn't great enough to miss if we completely nixed Reality TV altogether.

We should deal with the disease swiftly.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye