Out of Sight

Started by Stefen, February 18, 2009, 02:47:06 PM

Stefen

This movie is fucking awesome. I think it's 10 times better than any of the Ocean's flicks. Everyone is spot on and it doesn't get too cutesy cool for it's own good the way the Ocean's flicks do.

I wanted to get some opinions on what others thought of it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

It's a perennial favorite of mine. It's a movie that has been in my movie collection forever and seems to be watched at least once a year. It's not like L'Avventura where i plan yearly viewings, but I'm always finding myself going back to it. More importantly, it's one of my staple films to recommend to new people. Since I don't believe anyone would like most of the films I like, I always consider Out of Sight to be a good recommendation because most people can enjoy it.

It comes from the same mold of Ocean's Eleven, but yea, it's a lot better. The new Oceans film was fun, but it catered so much to the heist of the film that that became an anchoring plot. Out of Sight does have a plot, but it is so loose and free with it. The story has many tempos and always takes a lot of fun turns. It's funny, but the Out of Sight reminds me of the original Ocean's Eleven more than the remake does. The original Ocean's doesn't have the back and forth story structure, but it is pretty loose and fun with the story like Out of Sight. It was a shame to see how compact the scenes in the remake were.

Another thing I like how the film tempors the casual cool aspect of the characters. All of them display a David Gordon Green kind of awkwardness. Considering the light hearted humor of the film, it works pretty well and is one of the few times I noticed a more mainstream film risk making full fledged stars look not only goofy, but also vulnerable at peak moments. It works for the slim psychological interest that the film has in the characters. Overall, it's a comedy and piece of entertainment, but this nice touch was refreshing.

Also, for good ancedotes, the editor of Out of Sight was Anne V. Coates. She won an Oscar for editing Lawrence of Arabia and still works today (her last film being the Golden Compass), but Out of Sight is one of the few films on her recent filmography.

modage

its great.  i used to enjoy soderbergh, what happened to that?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Quote from: modage on February 18, 2009, 03:15:16 PM
its great.  i used to enjoy soderbergh, what happened to that?

He decided that making lots of movies was more important than making great movies.
My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

i don't buy that because before he could make lots of great movies.

polkablues

Sure, when he was only making one or two per year.  Now he's up to three or four.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SiliasRuby

This film is in my top 100 and what a great little crime one it is. It's tarantino-like in the best way.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

JG

out of sight is great. schizopolis is an awesome movie as well.

picolas

Quote from: polkablues on February 18, 2009, 07:07:43 PM
Sure, when he was only making one or two per year.  Now he's up to three or four.
hmm.. according to 'db, if you count che as one huge movie, he's been down to one movie a year since 2005. i dunno. maybe they're just getting released like that, but it looks like he was more prolific in the five years before.

i need to rewatch Out of Sight btw. thanks for the reminder, thread.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 18, 2009, 03:11:46 PMAlso, for good ancedotes, the editor of Out of Sight was Anne V. Coates. She won an Oscar for editing Lawrence of Arabia and still works today (her last film being the Golden Compass), but Out of Sight is one of the few films on her recent filmography.

I wholeheartly believe that this is one the best edited/structured films ever. The bar pick-up/lovemaking scene alone is to be studied.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

i have a big out of sight poster in my room (this one: http://www.impawards.com/1998/out_of_sight.html) and it's funny to me that people who see it are like, why do you have a j lo george clooney movie poster in your room?

i loaned the movie (and ratcatcher) to my friend three years ago and then she moved to LA. i went to la to visit and saw them on her shelf. i took them back home. scratched to shit. both completely unwatchable. i need to return them to netflix asap.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gold Trumpet

Watched Out of Sight again last night. I had a friend over and she said we should watch a movie, but when she looked at my book cases of DVDs, she didn't recognize anything. When she asked if I had any comedies, I lowballed her with American Pie 2 (yes, I own it on VHS) but she wasn't interested so I mentioned Out of Sight and talked it up a little bit. Worked out well because she liked it and wondered why the movie wasn't more popular.

Stefen

^That's what I get from everyone I show it to. They say, "Why haven't I heard of this?"
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

this was like the first great movie that I saw on my own will, knowing that it would be great.  this was sodeburgh's best film, and steve zahn and don cheadle were so great in it.  it was just a flawless movie, great soundtrack, editing, cinematography...etc.  I was seeing a girl who suddenly decided to take a low-paying job in detroit for the good of the nation, and these days I picture her in those out of sight detroit shots a lot.
I'll never let anybody talk shit about j lo because of the movie.  fuck I have to buy it now and I'm broke.
Don Cheadle's delivery of "nah, these my suits." was one of the greatest lines ever delivered.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton