Questions for PTA

Started by depooter, October 30, 2003, 06:04:07 PM

MacGuffin

"Not rules. Principles. McKee writes that a rule says you must do it this way. A principle says this works and has through all remembered time." - Donald Kaufman - "Adapation"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

depooter

Ok. Guys is this it? slim pickings......I'll try and put something together..

thanks
Greg

coffeebeetle

That hurt Greg...that really hurt.  :cry:
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Ernie

Quote from: depooterOk. Guys is this it? slim pickings......I'll try and put something together..

thanks
Greg

Just go by Newtron's thing, that's probably best. Just as long as it has a big bold italicized capatilized question about his next project, I think everyone will be satisfied. Then everything else that Newtron posted is pretty relevant, I'd do that stuff.

Alethia

dammit, i couldnt think of a good question!!!!!!!

ABKman18

PTA, Should an artist have to explain their work or should it be allowed to speak for itself?  I am a beginning film student and this issue has been driving me up the walls as of late.

Adam

©brad

Quote from: Weak2ndActYou can't break the rules of the game unless you understand them in the first place.

exactly. u got to know the rules in order to break them. that's why tarantino's stuff works.

mckee's Story really should be read by all screenwriters. any screenwriting teacher (any good one) will tell u that.

Ernie

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: Weak2ndActYou can't break the rules of the game unless you understand them in the first place.

exactly. u got to know the rules in order to break them. that's why tarantino's stuff works.

mckee's Story really should be read by all screenwriters. any screenwriting teacher (any good one) will tell u that.

That's cool, I never thought of it that way. I've read books similar to his and definitely gotten some inspiration to go against it, it never occured to me.

Weak2ndAct

Lame, timely analogy:
Think of it like Morpheus' explanation of the Matrix.  It's built on a foundation of rules.  Some rules can bent, others can be broken.

SoNowThen

Quote from: ©brad

agreed

this was the first movie instruction I ever took (way back in grade 11), and he was a great intro to screenwriting, as well as having really good taste in movies (I made a list of titles he talked about and spent the summer watching). of course now I break most of the "rules" laid down, but as you guys have said, one must try and know them first. he really does have a great point, though. early Fellini, Altman, Bergman is all by the numbers, fairly audience friendly stuff (I mean Altman's tv work). these guys didn't master their form just by fucking around...

My question to PTA is this:

Give us your top 15 movies, and write a little about why for each one (kinda like that article you did for Boogie Nights, the influences one, that had Goodfellas and Singin' In The Rain, etc).

also,

in the forseeable future, will you continue to work with Elswitt, or are you entertaining other DP's for different looks for the next few films (not that I don't like RE, just wondering)?

and this last one's a plea:

please get Tichner back to edit your next film

merci
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

what excites you in cinema?

what was the last movie that made you cry?

what was the last movie that really scared you?

what was the last movie that really made you laugh?

what was the last movie that you were just absolutely obsessed with (besides your own, of course)?

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: SoNowThenplease get Tichner back to edit your next film
What, do you think Leslie Jones did a shitty job or something?  Explain.

SHAFTR

If you can get my question about PDL and it being an art film in there...that would help me so much.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

aclockworkjj

after listening to PBH's fresh air interview...I liked hearing how syndey came about.

Working as a volunteer PA.  How did you manage to do this?  Working for free?  Shit, I see pro bono PA work all the time, unfortunately that won't pay my ridiculous rent...

...what was your personal situation like at the time you were able to work at the tv station?  How the hell could you get by?

Pozer