PDL $ ?'s

Started by SoNowThen, June 09, 2003, 11:24:07 AM

aurora

You will also find Magnolia was cheap compared to PDL because Tom Cruise worked for free

Quote from: auroraYou will also find Magnolia was cheap compared to PDL because Tom Cruise worked for free

I know he worked cheap but I didn't hear "free"

Also.. why are you all talking about flying a cast/crew to a location?

The more expensive part is the film/developing etc...  im sure the airfare is a much lower percent of the cost of the film
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

godardian

Quote from: 82
Quote from: auroraYou will also find Magnolia was cheap compared to PDL because Tom Cruise worked for free

I know he worked cheap but I didn't hear "free"

Also.. why are you all talking about flying a cast/crew to a location?

The more expensive part is the film/developing etc...  im sure the airfare is a much lower percent of the cost of the film

You have to feed and house that cast and crew in addition to their wages, as well. And maybe deal with local unions/equipment providers, etc.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Reed RothchildIt was the Piano shot at the first, they had to use 1894803 of those little piano's.

but the piano doesn't get broken...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

The Silver Bullet

Not that I give a flying fuck about what Punch-Drunk Love cost, but did Anderson even take the majority of his crew to Hawaii?

Usually what'll happen is a whole other crew [bar the DOP and other essential crew members] will be hired in the new locale.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Silver BulletNot that I give a flying fuck about what Punch-Drunk Love cost, but did Anderson even take the majority of his crew to Hawaii?

Looks like it. There were only a small amount of crew members listed under Hawaii crew at the end credits (drivers, extras casting, catering, etc.). There is no listing for Utah crew so it looks all went there too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Silver Bullet

I guess it isn't really that shocking, not with PTA. From the commentaries, interviews and behind the scenes stuff, you can gauge that he regards his crew as one big family. Hawaii though? Christ...

Me wonders if he knows each person by name.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

godardian

Quote from: bonanzataz
Quote from: Reed RothchildIt was the Piano shot at the first, they had to use 1894803 of those little piano's.

but the piano doesn't get broken...

...not in any of the shots they were able to use. Is what I think was being implied...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sal

Quote from: SHAFTRAccording to IMBD it made $17,791,031 in the US, so it didn't really lose that much.  I'm thinking once you add international it came close to breaking even, and once DVD sales/rentals come in...

But how much does DVD cost to press and distribute?  Obviously not substantial, but is home distribution part of a film's initial budget?