is PTA "the one"

Started by Mellow Fellow, May 14, 2003, 02:19:13 PM

Mellow Fellow

many old directors agree, and also virtually every actor, that PTA is the best thing to happen to hollywood since, well, i dunno, but thats not the point. even the wachowski bros hero Neo is really named Thomas Anderson. coincidence? i think not
Some people say I was an embarassment to the nation. Well, I say, that depends on what your definition of "was" is, jerk.

SoNowThen

The only person who can come close to him in terms of younger writer/directors is David Gordon Green. And maybe Wes Anderson. But he's still the best.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

I dunno if there is just one... that would be maybe not enough, unless he was going to do a film every single year. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the only people whose films I'll see automatically- automatically, even if Adam Sandler's in it!- are:

-Paul Thomas Anderson
-Wes Anderson
-Martin Scorsese
-Alexander Payne
-Todd Haynes
-Lynn Ramsay
-Todd Solondz

...used to include Neil Labute, before Possession and Woody Allen before Jade Scorpion.

... there are probably some others, but they're either dead or I'm drawing a blank right now.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

You forgot JLG, he's still alive and kicking, and manages to do a movie every now and then.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

wes anderson is nothing next to pta

but paul needs to come strong next time, or he is in trouble

let us not forget that most of the good will pta has gotten was from boogie nights, thats the film that will stand the test of time

after that film, hollywood handed over the keys to him

after pdl :: shruggs:: i dunno i still think is his next film is a bomb his career will be in trouble

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenYou forgot JLG, he's still alive and kicking, and manages to do a movie every now and then.

Yeah... and I liked In Praise of Love. I guess his lack of proliferative output and recognition caused me to forget him. I'm sorry, Uncle Jean!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenThe only person who can come close to him in terms of younger writer/directors is David Gordon Green. And maybe Wes Anderson. But he's still the best.

Couldn't agree more. Right now, they are the only two young guys that really stack up to PTA, who is the best. Don't get me wrong, there are many other AWESOME young filmmakers...but PTA, Wes, and DGG are already gods...they are the ones that could quit now and still be gods forever. Spike Jonze is definitely almost there...David O. Russell is definitely almost there...Alexander Payne could make it soon...Cameron Crowe could make it w/ more Say Anything's and Almost Famous's..Shyamalan showed some really raw fucking talent for the first time with Signs, he might make it if he makes more films like that and less like Sixth Sense and Unbreakable with all the gimmicks and shit... Guy Ritchie may never get back to Snatch's status from what I hear...I don't know if Soderbergh is still considered young...and Tarantino is right up there w/ Spike Jonze and David O. Russell on the close-to-godly-status, Kill Bill could seal it.

Then there is Scorsese, who is at least as good as PTA...at this point probably better actually...but that's only at this point.

SoNowThen

oops, shit, I forgot Tarantino. Yeah, I'd put him in my top three young heroes, to make it four.

markums2k

Quote from: Hot Puerto Rican Lovewes anderson is nothing next to pta
after pdl :: shruggs:: i dunno i still think [if] his next film is a bomb his career will be in trouble

In my opinion, Royal Tenenbaums is severely underrated.  It's really wonderful in so many ways.

But I agree with the closing point.  Obviously, when a director goes into a project you or the majority of the audience don't particularly find interesting, it may be the end of a beautiful thing.

Boogie Nights is my favorite movie of all-time, and Punch-Drunk is a close second.  Emotionally and technically, both films hit me in just the most perfect way.  PTA keeps talking about doing a musical, and I just couldn't imagine anything more boring.  With all due respect, I hope he occupies himself with something a little less fruity...

...but then again, I thought the South Park movie was gonna suck and I was pleasantly surprised.

MrBurgerKing

I think you guys are forgetting to mention Ang Lee and Werner Herzog. Two masters and commanders of the cinema. Unfortunately, it's not cool to put these guys on 'best of' lists. I realize this is a thread devoted to younger talent, but even if it was a thread devoted to older talent, those names would be left off.

I believe Mr. Truffaut himself said that Herzog is a master of cinema. I'd be inclined to agree. I'm also inclined to agree that Wendys chicken nuggets are a slice of heaven, but that's another story.

Gold Trumpet

For me, many of the directors named in being of competition with PTA only seem like they are just good directors. I might be hard to please, but I have yet to be overtly impressed with Wes Anderson who I feel is moving more away from his characters instead for an obcession with cute tricks of style that don't do much on their own. I love David Gordon Green, but I really need to see All The Real Girls before making any judgements. Others can be argued for various reasons. I am perplexed though by people naming Herzog and Godard. Sure, they are making films, but 1.) Herzog's new film was his first in 11 years and seems in no hurry to make a grand come back and 2.) Godard's prime is quietly behind him, and not just behind him, but way back in the 60s. The overwhelming news I heard on Praise of Love was that it was a soul less return to his style of his prime and nothing more. I haven't seen the film so can't specifically speak on it, but as being the one, you should be getting the praise critically to go with the film. There is too much bad mouth on that movie to really think it is putting Godard back on top and heralding him as leading the new generation of filmmakers. Even the people who liked the film say it is a return to his old self, which contradicts the term anyways.

For me, the very most exciting filmmaker with the greatest potential is Fernando Meirelles. What he did with City of God was an amazing feat of filmmaking genius in my mind (more specific thoughts found in city of god thread in NS forum) and even more so when the film had a budget of only 3.3 million but seemed like a major epic. His choice for the film he wants to make next only furthers his adventurousness when he wants to tackle the very large topic of the north/south conflict that is going on in the world of power vs. poverty. The film is said to be set in around 20-some countries and intersecting various stories to explain the whole thing and still, will only cost a mere 24 million. The other director I think also in the top 3 (with fernando and PTA) is Hayao Miyazaki who made his very best film in Spirited Away and one of the best action movies ever in Princess Mononoke. Again, don't see the english dubbed version of Spirited Away, because it only takes away from the magic and wonder of the original. Best film of 2002 imo.

~rougerum

MrBurgerKing

Hey The Gold Trumpet, nice analysis on the current state of this post.

Now that I read my last post, I can't understand it in the context of this thread. I was hungry at the time and about to go to Wendys. I will defend Werner Herzog another day, but in the meantime let me say that Terrance Malick has only made three films in 30 years!

Is it fair though to consider _____ the next best thing after one or two movies?

Is it fair to eat a salad when you go to Wendys? Might as well eat ask for a chocolate cake when you go to Pizza hut.

The Silver Bullet

MY TOP FIVE BEST WORKING DIRECTORS TODAY

01. Martin Scorsese
02. Paul Thomas Anderson
03. Quentin Tarantino
04. Wes Anderson
05. Darren Aronofsky

All of them are an A+++ in my book. To say that PTA is the "One" is ridiculous, and once again the rabid fandom of Xixax puts me off the guy a little [if only because I myself never want to be heard calling anyone on Earth the "One"].

Quotewes anderson is nothing next to pta
I hate shit like this. He is something. Something very substantial. Scorsese is calling Wes Anderson the next big thing, not Paul Thomas Anderson. Personally, I think the five directors I listed [and Alex Payne who is my number six] are all so very different. They don't need to even be compared in the first place.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetFor me, many of the directors named in being of competition with PTA only seem like they are just good directors. I might be hard to please, but I have yet to be overtly impressed with Wes Anderson who I feel is moving more away from his characters instead for an obcession with cute tricks of style that don't do much on their own. I love David Gordon Green, but I really need to see All The Real Girls before making any judgements. Others can be argued for various reasons. I am perplexed though by people naming Herzog and Godard. Sure, they are making films, but 1.) Herzog's new film was his first in 11 years and seems in no hurry to make a grand come back and 2.) Godard's prime is quietly behind him, and not just behind him, but way back in the 60s. The overwhelming news I heard on Praise of Love was that it was a soul less return to his style of his prime and nothing more. I haven't seen the film so can't specifically speak on it, but as being the one, you should be getting the praise critically to go with the film. There is too much bad mouth on that movie to really think it is putting Godard back on top and heralding him as leading the new generation of filmmakers. Even the people who liked the film say it is a return to his old self, which contradicts the term anyways.

For me, the very most exciting filmmaker with the greatest potential is Fernando Meirelles. What he did with City of God was an amazing feat of filmmaking genius in my mind (more specific thoughts found in city of god thread in NS forum) and even more so when the film had a budget of only 3.3 million but seemed like a major epic. His choice for the film he wants to make next only furthers his adventurousness when he wants to tackle the very large topic of the north/south conflict that is going on in the world of power vs. poverty. The film is said to be set in around 20-some countries and intersecting various stories to explain the whole thing and still, will only cost a mere 24 million. The other director I think also in the top 3 (with fernando and PTA) is Hayao Miyazaki who made his very best film in Spirited Away and one of the best action movies ever in Princess Mononoke. Again, don't see the english dubbed version of Spirited Away, because it only takes away from the magic and wonder of the original. Best film of 2002 imo.

~rougerum

Okay, first off, GT, I agree that Fernando Meirelles should be on the list. But you should read the rest of the posts closer. None of us said Godard is on the list under PTA, godardian just mentioned the "working directors" he still liked. Naming Godard was a TANGENT. Of course his prime is way over, no one disputes that.  Oh, and once you see All The Real Girls, you'll have no problemo with DGG on this list. Whew.

SHAFTR

I saw "In Praise of Love" and I was really disappointed.  The film does lack soul and that inevitably weighs it down.  It doesn't have the heart or the spark that films such as Breathless have.

I think it is foolish to rank PTA over Quentin Tarantino.  In a historical context of films...Pulp Fiction is and will be more important than Boogie Nights (although I love both).

I think Wes Anderson is worthy of that list as well.
Fincher, Nolan, Soderbergh, Mendes and even Rodriguez have made a collection of solid films.  I could put Kevin Smith on this list but I won't...so the flames don't start coming again.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"