FRONT PROJECTION

Started by Bud_Clay, April 25, 2005, 09:59:29 PM

Bud_Clay

Please, I beg of someone to help me out with this:

I want to project with 16mm and capture off super 8 film.  My trouble is
A) How do you match up exact film rates so it doesn't shoot off balance of the projection?
B) Will the background (16mm projected image) appear as shit?

Thank you very much anyone who replies.

Ghostboy

I really don't know specifics, since I've never tried anything remotely like front (or rear) projection, but I imagine that:

a.) if your 16mm projector has a frame rate setting, make sure it's set to whatever the camera is set to. I know a lot of home-movie style super-8 cameras are set for 18fps, so hopefully either your camera or projector has variable speeds. Although it's not really the frame rate that matters, but the shutter angle.

b.) As long as it's in focus, it should look fine - or as good as super-8 footage can look, at least.

Bud_Clay

thank you for your reply.

i am shooting at 24 fps with super 8. i don't believe my 16mm projector has a frame speed, it is Eiki SSL - O.  i think all i am capable of doing is setting this projector above me 5 feet as i shoot super 8 below it.  You say shutter angle? Does this just mean setting the projector left side of the camera? Perhaps I should attain a semi-reflecting mirror? I'm not sure how useful such a thing would be. And I am also weary of how starting the projector, (no matter, even if I am shooting the same number frames projected), that they will match up perfectly. Lets say my projector already projects at 24fps, which would make sense, and I shoot at 24fps. Who's to say I could match the frames with one another? That seems a talent only superman could be capable of matching exactly.