Scene construction

Started by SoNowThen, July 24, 2003, 11:12:39 AM

Alethia

just write and let it be........if it feels right, then it is.......

atticus jones

surely every bottie is entitled to their opinion but...

why the phuck did you find it necessary to follow up my post with such non thought out tearful shit...

and fuh kin lay off the (word...word...) style hack jab

that dot dot dot is my candy trick...

snackin off it it will giff u cavities...

bigga than the wuns in yo head
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

Alethia

eat...........me............

fulty

Wow, this is such a great thread.
Can we go back to page 1?
me, that was a beautiful post.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

modage

Quote from: fultyWow, this is such a great thread.
Can we go back to page 1?
me, that was a beautiful post.

i hardly bother visiting the pta thread anymore.  because theres just so much not worth reading here, whereas if any of the other damn directors get visited theres probably something worth reading there.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

markums2k

No, no, this is a great thread.

A lot of the stuff I write, there are deliberate little hints of analogy or theme... maybe some people will get it, maybe some won't.

I hardly ever take things deeper than the literal meaning though, when I am the viewer.  Personally, I get more enjoyment that way; enjoying the performances, the aesthetics, the sounds.  But if I ever direct a film, I want the symbolism to be there for people who want it.

I think, if a film ends up with some unintentional nods to it's overall theme, then that's good.  Wouldn't that be a demonstration of how focused it is, if it's reinforcing central ideas without even trying?  Sort of, accidentally on purpose.  :-D

mom me

Hello,

I have procrastinated getting involved here but my personal relationship with the user named me requires that i say something.  To begin, I know who me is.  He will not like that to be public knowledge but it is true.  I have oftened wondered if anyone here knows the truth about this situation.  Comments such as those made by users like Eward not only hurt my feelings but make it apparent the subtle and not so subtle indications me has left in regards to his identity have gone unnoticed.  I do not wish to betray me, only to say I am here feeling a maternal instinct to protect him and appreciate his unique indivduality.  Sorry honey.  I will try to stay out of your way, I promise. But you are a child to mom me.

By the way, Fulty I think you are very kind.  I lived in the "other valley" for a while before my recent time here in Reno, NV.

Anyways, thanks to the kind people who run this message board.  It gives an old movie lover like me something to keep busy with when I am not gardening or playing keno.

Love,

Mom me

There are those who know and those who don't ;
You should have listened to your mom me!

aclockworkjj

SoNowThen

Quote from: methere is form................................there is freedom

in form you remind others that they have seen this before

in freedom you reveal the depths of something one may not know or may have forgotten

i write furious uncensored salt in the wound truth
for a moment in the process it is all i know or care about

if the truth i find fills 180 pages then so be it
see truth doesnt have a page count

the raw guts of my love i then shape
to hopefully delight in a reminiscent curious way
often times it shapes itself
the subconscious is a mighty warrior for truthtelling

there will be layers of course
for truth is simple and complex
everchanging yet always the same
a paradox

will i know every related string in the tapestry
sometimes yes and often no
yet if my cloth holds both air and water
laughter and tears
if my cloth endures both fire and earth
criticism and scholarly review
then it is good

in the simplest expression of goodness
it balances discipline and freedom
choice and duty
love and fear
me and you

Beautiful beautiful beautiful fucking beautiful!!!!
I like my thread, but we should seriously close it, because it ain't getting any better than this. Me, I have no idea who you are, I catch hints super fucking badly over the inet, but I have my ideas.

Love and peace to all! I'm shooting next week. It will be inspired thank goodness. You get down and need to be lifted up. I'm lifted now.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Vile5

First at all this is a great thread!

Quote from: Newtron...It's simple structure, introduce and expand. In narrative form what occurs, according to the ambition of the writer, is less mechanically structured than driven by the instinct of the writer. This instinct is not so far removed from technical skill in thematic balancing that it needs to be separated from what you identify as mathematical precision. Basically, in this case, PTA must obviously have a great understanding of what's going in the story, and being faced with a three-hour epic to keep alive, he structured it in a way that would create a multitude of layers and relationship not only within each scene but between them. Like all good movies are supposed to do...

Exactly!! and something that i've learned is that if you don't know what you want to say with your script, you won't be able to know how to write it, maybe at first you can feel that you have a million of ideas and that your story will be great, but then you won't have idea about how to continue...so i think this is the key: know exactly what you want to say
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

tpfkabi

well, i don't know about you, but i don't write in a chronological order. i imagine a lot of people write this way.
for instance: with the script i'm working on now......i've known the beginning for over  a year........later, i knew how i wanted to end it...........i also knew some scenes that had to go in the middle somewhere............now, the actual process of writing is filling in the gaps and making the beginning go to the end...........this is also the tricky part...........i did the first third of the screenplay in March? or so........began a new job and haven't touched it since...........from day to day, little connecting scenes come and i write them down
============================
actually, i''ll be totally honest......the part where i stopped was a little personal, so i haven't wanted to go back there.
here's the sitch.....i had a big crush on a gal for a while........i told her how i felt and she rejected me.........sometime before that, she told me about this first date she had with the other guy that she liked (but he didn't like her, ha!)...........it was so hilarious (the first date) that i think it really needs to be put on film and that's where i've stopped.........i kind of feel like i need to ask permission and also, i want to get it pretty accurate because i've forgotten pieces of it.............it's just a can of worms i don't want to open............i wonder if people can sue you for using parts of their life????????well, it seems WEs Anderson and Owen Wilson do this and actually use people's names......so i guess it's ok
===============================
oh, my original point..........when you write the film out of order, this allows you to put little things back in the earlier parts of the film..........example of something like that is the snow globe in Citizen Kane......so yes, i imagine a lot of times things are intentional...............another example.....all the birds in Psycho
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alethia

Quote from: mom meHello,

I have procrastinated getting involved here but my personal relationship with the user named me requires that i say something.  To begin, I know who me is.  He will not like that to be public knowledge but it is true.  I have oftened wondered if anyone here knows the truth about this situation.  Comments such as those made by users like Eward not only hurt my feelings but make it apparent the subtle and not so subtle indications me has left in regards to his identity have gone unnoticed.  I do not wish to betray me, only to say I am here feeling a maternal instinct to protect him and appreciate his unique indivduality.  Sorry honey.  I will try to stay out of your way, I promise. But you are a child to mom me.

By the way, Fulty I think you are very kind.  I lived in the "other valley" for a while before my recent time here in Reno, NV.

Anyways, thanks to the kind people who run this message board.  It gives an old movie lover like me something to keep busy with when I am not gardening or playing keno.

Love,

Mom me

sorry if what i said hurt feelings.  i was half kidding anyway and plus there was no reason for him to say that.  if he doesnt like my post that's his problem, but he doesnt have to be a dick about it.

mutinyco

It depends on the filmmaker. I'm sure the Coens know exactly what they're doing. Elia Kazan used to go line by line of a script to plot out character motivations. I don't think PTA does that. I think he writes from his emotions. I don't think he intellectualizes his writing very much. It's too underdeveloped and messy. However, once he's on the set working with the actors that's when he deals with it -- let's the actors help shape the scene. His films are very free form, in terms of process.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

©brad

Quote from: bigideasoh, my original point..........when you write the film out of order, this allows you to put little things back in the earlier parts of the film..........example of something like that is the snow globe in Citizen Kane......so yes, i imagine a lot of times things are intentional...............another example.....all the birds in Psycho

my writing teacher recently told me that very very few writers, good writers, if any, write in chronological order. its the biggest mistake u can make, so she says. "write the scenes u want to write first, the scenes u have in ur head. then write the scenes u have to write." i trust her.

ono

Love the new quote, ©brad.  White Men Can't Jump.  :yabbse-thumbup:

And yeah, when I write, it's usually building ideas on top of ideas, and then filling in the "filler" that needs to be there, after that.  And hopefully when I'm done, there will be more ideas that are solid than filler.  Chronological isn't the way to go.