PTA-a-thon.

Started by Jon, June 01, 2003, 04:55:46 PM

Jon

On June 24th, as most of you know, PDL comes out on DVD, and I was thinking about having my own little PTA marathon on the nights before (since I don't think I could watch or have the time to watch all on the 24th), and was wondering if you guys wanted to have a thing where:

June 21 we all watch Sydney at some point.

June 22 Boogie Nights.

June 23 Magnolia, obviously.

And, of course, PDL on the 24th.

If we wanted we could chat about the simalarities, etc, or just bask in the glory of knowing we all did it.

No matter, I'm gonna do it, and wondering who else will?

godardian

Quote from: JonOn June 24th, as most of you know, PDL comes out on DVD, and I was thinking about having my own little PTA marathon on the nights before (since I don't think I could watch or have the time to watch all on the 24th), and was wondering if you guys wanted to have a thing where:

June 21 we all watch Sydney at some point.

June 22 Boogie Nights.

June 23 Magnolia, obviously.

And, of course, PDL on the 24th.

If we wanted we could chat about the simalarities, etc, or just bask in the glory of knowing we all did it.

No matter, I'm gonna do it, and wondering who else will?

If I'm home those evenings (a medium to high likelihood), I'm in. I LOVE nothing more than director-themed movie marathons. I like genre-themed ones, too, but... the auteurist in me is very pleased with this idea.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Cecil

im in. ive been waiting to have a pta marathon.

Jon

Theoretically speaking we wouldn't all have to do it at the exact same time, if we can't get it together, just at some point during that day.

godardian

Maybe I'll forego my planned online pre-order and just pop into Best Buy day of release to pick one up. That way I'll be sure to have it on hand. PDL, I mean. I like the security of that pre-order, though... what if Best Buy sells out before I can get there?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Jon

Quote from: godardianwhat if Best Buy sells out before I can get there?

Are you kidding me? I think you are.

SoNowThen

Just wanted to comment on something. Isn't it funny that we all call Hard Eight "Syndey", out of respect for Paul? I wrote him a letter after Magnolia, and I made sure to refer to Syndey, just so he knew I knew. I was amused at myself. Hehehehehe. Seriously though, I have to go on record saying Hard Eight sounds so much cooler, even if it deflects what the movie is really about.

BTW, Godardian, do you really think anyplace will be sold out of PDL? You had to fucking chain people in their seats to get them to stay in the theatre for the whole thing, in my neck of the woods.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jon

Quote from: SoNowThenJust wanted to comment on something. Isn't it funny that we all call Hard Eight "Syndey", out of respect for Paul? I wrote him a letter after Magnolia, and I made sure to refer to Syndey, just so he knew I knew. I was amused at myself. Hehehehehe.

I used to make sure and do it, but now it's just habit.

Xixax

Great idea. Let's set a time for this each evening that week, and all meet up here in the xixax chat room while we all watch the film simultaneously. We'd simply have to start the movie at the same time.

I've been thinking about doing something like this for awhile now. This seems like as good of a reason as any!

9PM Eastern (US) seems like the most logical time.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Gold Trumpet

I'll do it. Especially considering it has been around a year since I've seen Magnolia and Boogie Nights. I caught Hard Eight early this year once. I feel I am slacking in the PTA fan department, though PDL felt like a movie I could watch over and over again with pleasure. That movie will likely stand next to my Miyazaki's on pleasure and wealth to watch all the time.

~rougerum

Ernie

Damn, I would definitely do this any other time during the summer but over that particular weekend, I'll probably be going to a wedding in ohio (far away) which I actually really do wanna go to, I've never been there before and I'll get to stay at a Marriot (always wanted to stay at one of them)...probably won't have anytime for Sydney on the night of the wedding (the 21st)...I'll have very little time for Nolia or Nights as I'll be packing back up on either the 22nd or 23rd...then I probably won't be able to pick up PDL till I get home so I guess I can't really participate. I'll be a poser and try really hard to watch Magnolia (haven't seen it in ages) and Boogie Nights though if I can...this is a cool idea.

Alethia

MrBurgerKing

I'll grill some burgers for the occasion. How do you like your burgers cooked? Don't make me overcook the meat, nothing worst than a wasted slab of dead cow.

ono

Quote from: ebeaman...Nolia or Nights...
...and people thought shortening Paul Thomas Anderson to PTA was lazy and in bad form.  ;)

Anyway, I'm in if I can get Magnolia (;)) and Sydney back from my dad.  I loaned him Magnolia a while back, telling him it was my current favorite.  He hasn't watched it yet, as far as I know.  I loaned him Sydney too (told him Magnolia and Sydney were by the same guy), and he wasn't too impressed.  Understandable, since it's mostly simple noir, but it's better than most movies IMO.  The beginning, at the very least, is priceless.  But I digress.

godardian

Quote from: MrBurgerKingHow do you like your burgers cooked?

Flame-broiled, and shame on you for implying there's any other choice.

I wouldn't be worried about PDL selling out, except that it seems like whenever I say to myself, "This is a movie that's not going to be big, it's not going to draw huge crowds, I'll show up ten minutes 'til showtime," the movie is ALWAYS, without fail, sold out. Similar things have happened with DVDs. I don't wanna convince myself there are going to be plenty of copies. What if they only order so many, thinking the same thing you guys are thinking? I hate going out to buy DVDs at soulless mega-stores, anyways; it's too depressing to drive out to one and trudge past all the underpaid workers under the fluorescent lighting just to find they don't even have what you want.

But I'll still hold out some hope that it'll be there.