I'M SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT HENRY - Short Film

Started by matt35mm, March 24, 2012, 03:59:47 PM

matt35mm

Here's a new short that I've made. I hope you'll enjoy it.

I'm So Sorry To Hear About Henry

http://vimeo.com/38908439

SYNOPSIS: A young woman in denial over the possible death of her brother catches her friend in the middle of a shameful act.

RUN TIME: 6 minutes 44 seconds

TECHNICAL INFO (if you're interested):
Shot on a Panasonic GH2 (hacked)
with a Canon 28-70mm f/2.8L lens
and a Lumix 14-140 f/4.0 lens

Edited in Adobe Premiere CS5.5 + Magic Bullet

pete

wow, there's a lot going on in there. great job.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

Thanks, Pete. I appreciate it. Thanks for watching, and I'm glad you liked it.

Reel

That was really impressive! You seem to be in complete command of how you want the visuals to guide the story. It all worked for me, I felt like I was watching "a real movie." Go figure.

So many questions! Well, here's what I think is going on, spoilers!

Sooo Henry caught the 28 days Later bug and bit Addie so she had to kill him. Now she doesn't want anybody to know, but she's becoming a zombie and came to pick up Jane to FEEEEEEED. am I close?

Seriously though, what is going on with this story? I'm gonna have to watch it, like ten more times.

wilder

I really enjoyed your short and watched it a couple times -- it's really inspiring that you pulled this off in a week!  I'm a bit hazy on the story, too, but you can definitely see your visual style evolving here and coming into its own. You can really tell how much thought you put into this and how much you care about what you're shooting -- and that made me very interested in every shot / cut / line, etc. The dynamic between the girls and the staging when one was in the bathroom and the other was leaning against the wall outside I thought was pretty clever. Good luck with your next thing, I'm definitely excited to see what you make next.

Jeremy Blackman

I liked it a lot. The gratuity of the act that opens the short maybe overshadows some of the subtlety, but otherwise I really liked it.

My favorite part was the pretend phone call in the bathroom.

For the record, I thought the story was totally clear.

Pubrick

I like the font but would have been better if you spelled out the title in puke.

Neat short, definitely looks good.

The ending is a good Hard Eight reference.
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

Thanks for your kind responses everyone! I've really enjoyed reading the various interpretations/reactions to what's going on in the movie. I love hearing people say they want to see it more than once.

So this film will playing at Cannes in the Short Film Corner. It's a film market, not part of the competition, so it's not hard to get into (something like 75% of submissions get in--although they said they're trying to be more selective this year). I only applied because my friend/co-producer was going to Cannes anyway as part of some internship, and with an accepted film he would get a badge to actually go do all the Cannes things (movies/panels/workshops). I wasn't planning on going.

Then I go to a Q&A with David Gordon Green and a few of us stick around to chit chat afterward, and he asks what I'm up to and I explain this thing and he made a strong argument for going to Cannes, even if nothing comes out of it other than just going to fucking Cannes and experiencing it. At the very least I'll have a badge to go watch some movies and stuff.

This all happened tonight so now all I can think about is whether or not I want to spend all my money to go to Cannes. I'll have this movie and I'll have finished another short that I'm starting to shoot soon, so I'll have two things to show whoever the fuck I end up meeting there. And my co-producer is going and he said he knows people and is more about trying to get a job in LA.

So yeah, I'm spilling all of this because it's still swirling around in my head.

pete

ah! my film is going to cannes the film market too! I won't be there, but maybe our films will hook up.
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

That awesome, Pete. What's the movie?

I've decided to go. I'll have this movie at the market and a new movie (shooting soon, can be completed by mid-May). I didn't make this with any expectation, but since I'm going to this thing anyway I might as well try and sell it and the other one. Long shot, but worse shorts have sold.

At the very least, I have full accreditation, which gives me access to all the Cannie Cannes things. And if I ever end up going again, I'll already have a lay of the land.

pete

it's the Death Grip movie. I have no idea what's happening except that the sales agent convinced the two filmmakers/producers to go.
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

That actually makes perfect sense for a movie like that. There are a lot of people there looking to buy, and that looks like a fairly easy sell in terms of being able to get people interested in watching it.

Best of luck!

pete

I'll make a facebook introduction and you guys should meet up.
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

That would be great. I would definitely love to do that. Thanks so much, Pete.

Cloudy

Hey man,

Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed that. Great job! Have fun in Cannes, you better find a way to catch Killing them Softly or Lawless.

P.S. I loved your short's nods to your influences. The soul of the film seemed to exude Von Trier, with grueling camera movements from a PTA film. What a combo.

Great job!