Peter Pan?

Started by ProgWRX, December 09, 2003, 03:08:41 PM

Ravi

I saw Peter Pan earlier this week.  I have vague memories of seeing the Disney cartoon when I was little, and I had the Mary Martin version on tape, but I never watched it, so it was like I was seeing the story for the first time.  This was a charming and enchanting film.  I liked the darkness and the tinge of sadness about being stuck in Never-Neverland as well as the budding sensuality in Peter and Wendy.

A few weeks ago on Now with Bill Moyers, Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are) said he didn't like Barrie because of his romantization of childhood.  There was some of that in this film, I suppose, but the film questions how happy someone could be in perpetual childhood.

Finn

Glad you finally got to see it. I saw it for the fourth time at a dollar theater while visiting Tallahassee. It's great to see it late at night on a Wednesday!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

i hope more people get a chance to see this when it comes out on dvd.  because just about everybody here who did see it loved it, so i hope it gets around to some more people.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02i hope more people get a chance to see this when it comes out on dvd.  because just about everybody here who did see it loved it, so i hope it gets around to some more people.

If I don't like this movie after seeing it, I will personally feed you to a crocodile.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

get out your crocodile-proof, thick rubber corpse-handling gloves, then. or be prepared to invest in a plank.

modage

Quote from: picolas;get out your crocodile-proof, thick rubber corpse-handling gloves, then. or be prepared to invest in a plank.
no way!  just check out these rave reviews....

"A lot better than Hook." - ProgWRX

"Yes, it was good. VERY good." - Cinephile

"This movie just kicked my ass!  It's Peter Pan like you've never seen it before. This movie is definintely going in my top 10 for 2003." - themodernage02

"Man, this movie was amazing. In fact, I think it's perfect. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd put it over both Whale Rider AND Finding Nemo as far as family films go this year. Pure magic. The 'I do believe in fairies' scene made my hair stand on end.  I wish I had seen it yesterday" - Ghostboy

"This movie was great.  But.....did anyone else think the teeth of the girl who played wendy were fuckin huge?" - eward

"Went into this expecting something good with all the nice hype here and got even more than I expected. Excellent movie." Gold Trumpet

"I really loved this movie. Rachel Hurd-Wood as Wendy is just wonderful! She's adorable, charming and winning." - Quoyle

"This was a charming and enchanting film. I liked the darkness and the tinge of sadness about being stuck in Never-Neverland as well as the budding sensuality in Peter and Wendy." - Ravi
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MacGuffinIf I don't like this movie after seeing it, I will personally feed all of you you to a crocodile.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: MacGuffinIf I don't like this movie after seeing it, I will personally feed all of you you to a crocodile.
All of us? Come on, Mac, didn't you read? Even GT liked it! At least spare him.

Banky

this movie is playing at my theatre. Its cc though so i think ill wait for dvd

Finn

After themodernage02's post, I feel like a true critic. :-D
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

FooBoy

Man, I disliked this movie. I really wanted to like it, since I loved the whole Peter Pan story as a kid. But damn, I sat there cringing at half the scenes, and I definitely think half the supporting actors where miscast. Jason Isaacs as Hook was really the only actor who was great. I cringed at the "I do believe in fairies" scene, as well as every time Tink came on screen. I saw this film with my younger brother, who hated it even more than me.

I was expecting a kids' film, but I think kids' films can still be intelligent. I didn't find this quality in the film. Hell, I was so annoyed with it, that I snuck into another film afterwards, which turned out to be Scary movie 3. Now I hate the Scary Movie films, but I actually enjoyed this one, probably since it had the opposite effect that Pan had on me - I saw SM3 with low expectations, and found myself having a good time with it.

Sorry to bash a film everyone loves and all, but a bit of contrast in opinion is a good thing, right?
->FooBoy

Ravi

Quote from: FooBoy
Sorry to bash a film everyone loves and all, but a bit of contrast in opinion is a good thing, right?

No.  Dissent must be crushed.

I saw it again with three friends and they all really liked it.  More people would have liked it if they had given it a chance in the first place, but unfortunately the marketing didn't make the film look any good.

MacGuffin

P.J. Hogan Makes Friends at Paramount
Source: Variety

Paramount Pictures has signed P.J. Hogan (Peter Pan, My Best Friend's Wedding) to direct Let's Make Friends, a comedy about male bonding, reports Variety.

The film centers on a man in his 30s whose life is perfect, except for lacking a best friend. His quest leads him to a water deliveryman, who promptly turns the lead character's life upside down and imperils his relationship with his wife.

Steven Wayne Koren (Bruce Almighty) is writing the project.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Just when I think I won't buy any DVDs this week I see Peter Pan in the Best Buy ad.

picolas

Quote from: RaviJust when I think I won't buy any DVDs this week I see Peter Pan in the Best Buy ad.
where does this story go?