protecting your work

Started by Johnny Cusavo, July 20, 2003, 06:58:17 PM

Johnny Cusavo

Hi everybody,

I just joined this forum today thanks to a friend who linked me to it.
What I wanted to bring up as a 20 year old amatuer
Writer/Producer/Director, what type of copy protection, if any, have people been using..? What I learned after starting to write short screenplays years ago and just recently after starting major projects, is that, mailing your script to yourself before releasing it in any form can protect you in court. Not that I'm paranoid but I noticed a lot of people on this forum have posted scripts for feedback.
I think it's a great way to learn about the screenwriting process and I'd like to whip something out for the forum one day, but before I do I'd like to hear some peoples thoughts on the subject, since I haven't seen it posted.

Thankyou for your time.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tdotfilmfan

Here is an easy and cheap way to protect your scripts.  This works in Canada, I don't know about the US, but it should be the same.  Just print your script, and send it via registered mail to yourself.  Don't open it.  As long as it has the date on it...it should hold up in court

Best of luck

mindfuck

I've actually never heard of anyone doing that registered mail thing. Just register your sceenplay with the Writers Guild. I wouldn't worry about theft too much, especially at your age. It's much easier for someone interested in making a movie out of your story to just buy your screenplay than it is for them to steal it.

TheVoiceOfNick

DO NOT mail it to yourself... this WILL NOT protect you in court... at least not in the United States. There is only ONE WAY to protect yourself in court... and that is to register it with the copyright office... www.Copyright.gov. Use form TX. Don't cheap out... this is very important. You can also register with the WGA, but this won't protect you in court.

Nick

ReelHotGames

Registering yoru script with both copyright office and wga is advisable if you intend to submit it anywhere, but sending it to yourself via registered mail and NOT opening it, does give you some added assurances and if your just on the worry wart side, try it instead of spending the cash on copyright registration. Which can get expensive IF you have no plans other than to shoot your film yourself.

If you are going to be submitting it to anyone then you really MUSt register with the WGA and copyright office.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Johnny Cusavo

Hey thanks for the advice everybody! Glad people are looking out for others on this forum. Hate to see one of somebody's brilliant ideas in somebody's else's mutated hollywood mess of a movie, ripped off and you have no way of proving in court you wrote it and to top it off they made a sham of you're beautiful piece of art.. That would be a real bummer.. I think it can happen to people. Especially With a lack of fresh stuff out there like "Adaptation," or "Punch Drunk Love," or maybe they're after more original stuff like that.. Which would be great if you can aspire to write a work of genius.
In an interview with Oliver Stone I listened to from years ago.. right after wallstreet came out.. he said that it's a good climate for talented young writers to break in.. I hope he was right and that it's still valid today.
As for me I'm just going to keep on plowing ahead. I just finished a 23 page script today maybe I'll share it on this thing. No more poor-man's copyright for me, I'll do it the right way!!
But there's one other thing.. When more than one person is the authors of a script would it be harder to get it made without having the written or verbal agreement of both parties.. Or you guys had a fight or whatever. That's if to say they got recognition as a writing talent or you did and anything with they're name on it can generate problems or legal issues.. when you never got it copywritten correctly or at all..!!??  
I don't know, I guess it's always good to talk to an attorney about such things in the future if they arise.. and to trust the people your working with.. I 'd like to know what my fellow screenwriters thoughts are.. Damn these forums are cool!        
Take care guys.

TheVoiceOfNick

If you're serious about being a writer, do things the right way... always. Always consult an attorney if you are doing something for business.. $300 in legal fees now will save you thousands later on. If you've got a good lawyer, keep him/her!!! Build a relationship and make sure they are with you on every step of your journey... either that, or become a lawyer yourself!

Nick