top 5-10 favorite bands/solo artists right now

Started by Ernie, February 27, 2003, 10:23:44 AM

Ernie

Ok, so we've had a top 5 actors thread, a top 10 directors thread...now here is the music one. Post your top 5-10 musicians as of right now. Here's what I'm listening to a lot....

bob dylan
electric light orchestra
heart
the mamas and the papas
radiohead
sigur ros
sparklehorse
spiritualized

Are there any other Sigur Ros fans around here? I wondered how their new album was, I haven't heard it yet...I've mainly been listening to their old one.

joke08

frank sinatra
remy zero
belle and sebastian
bright eyes
the white stripes

I like sigur ros, haven't heard the new album, but they love it at my college radio station. wunh.org
i am an inactive dj there and do some production work, but since i'm not a student, i've been out of touch lately.
i've been drinking more wine lately.
it's good for you pop.
yeah, well anyway, i've been drinking more wine
(vito to michael, Godfather I)

Pubrick

thank u for not saying "of all time" cos that can get boring.. so, currently playing:

the Notwist (make sure u enter, great site)

Flaming Lips (yoshimi battles robots & soft bulletin), Radiohead (tracks from upcoming album), richard ashcroft, and DJ Shadow cos it helps me sleep.
under the paving stones.

Dirk

Mogwai
Radiohead
Sigur Ros (new album is excellent and they're going to have a single coming out in April with 2 new b-sides and their three videos0
Beck
Coldplay
GY!BE
Explosions in the Sky
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

phil marlowe

In the speakers at the moment:

Nick Cave: Nocturama
Snoop Dogg: Paid tha Cost to be da Bo$$(or whatever it is)
Norma Jean: Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child
N.E.R.D.: In Search Of...
Tom Waits: Franks Wild Years
The Dillinger Escapeplan and Mike Patton: Irony is A Dead Scene
Beck: Mellow Gold

Ernie

Quote from: Pthank u for not saying "of all time" cos that can get boring.. so, currently playing:

the Notwist (make sure u enter, great site)

Flaming Lips (yoshimi battles robots & soft bulletin), Radiohead (tracks from upcoming album), richard ashcroft, and DJ Shadow cos it helps me sleep.

Yeah, I hate doing the "of all time" things, it's impossible for me to do them w/ music and movies...there's too many choices.

SHAFTR

Radiohead
Beck
The White Stripes
Badly Drawn Boy
Zwan
The Beta Band
Pete Yorn

also....
Prince
The Rolling Stones
for their past work
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ernie

I just downloaded some new tracks from the new Sigur Ros album and...wow, it's great to hear more amazing stuff from them.

Anyway, I had a question that I've been meaning to ask since I discovered this freaking cool band...how the hell do you pronounce their name?

Is it either of these....

see-gurr-ross OR cy-gurr-ross

Those are my only guesses. I didn't know if maybe guys had seen them in an interview or been to one of their shows and found out how it's pronounced. I'm becoming a pretty big fan so I want to know how to at least say their name.

EDIT - Oh my god, I just downloaded Track 4 from () and....let me get a little High Fidelity on you here....I think it's probably one of the top 5 best songs I've ever heard. That guitar riff is otherworldy...fucking unreal stuff. Do yourself a favor and download Untitled Track 4 from (), Sigur Ros' new album if you haven't already...it's too good for words.

Raikus

Coldplay
Queens of the Stone Age
WILCO
Starsailor
American Hi-Fi
Badly Drawn Boy

And currently relistening to:
Flickerstick
Sister Hazel
Ben Folds Five
Rolling Stones
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

phil marlowe

Quote from: ebeaman69how the hell do you pronounce their name?

Ask Sigur Rós... i believe he is in some way related to the singer...

Rudie Obias

Quote from: ebeaman69

Anyway, I had a question that I've been meaning to ask since I discovered this freaking cool band...how the hell do you pronounce their name?

not too many people know this but it's actually pronounced...

***SUGAR ROSE***

now there, i've lost scene points cuz i let that secret out!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

phil marlowe

I think you could express it a bit like this:

cigger-ross

with the cigger kinda like in cigerette but it's really an u but i cant explain it because the sound don't really exist in the language of english. and the r in "ros" is rolled kinda like in spanish...

Ah, why do i bother? You goddamn  useless americatrash(to use an expresion used before) don't get it anyway... you don't have the tounge nor the man-ness of a true northern viking...

MacGuffin

How do you ask for "()" at the record store?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Quote from: rudieob
Quote from: ebeaman69

not too many people know this but it's actually pronounced...

***SUGAR ROSE***

now there, i've lost scene points cuz i let that secret out!

Oh, really!? Oh my god, how fucking cool is that, thanks man. I didn't even think of that possibility, what a cool name. Your not lying to me are you? I just want to make sure I won't sound like an idiot talking about them.

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffinHow do you ask for "()" at the record store?

Lol...I know, I guess you just have to say "sigur ros' new album" or something...or else just "parentheses". You know, I don't of any record store near me that would have any of Sigur Ros' albums anyway, that's why I bought an MP3 player, it's the best thing in the world next to DVD's. It's so much easier.