Ben Folds, anyone?

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, June 11, 2003, 01:27:09 PM

Pedro

Rockin' the Suburbs is fucking wondrous.  His stuff with "the five" is better.

godardian

Quote from: godardianHe's okay. I wish his stuff had more bite. He seems clever enough to pull it off. He should listen to some punk rock.

Or some Morrissey (and pay attention this time, Ben!). Get a few good Smiths/Morrissey albums, you eliminate the need for 75% of your standing record collection. Guaranteed. Especially on the Ben Folds front. Morrissey's funnier, sadder, AND more clever.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: godardianHe's okay. I wish his stuff had more bite. He seems clever enough to pull it off. He should listen to some punk rock.

Or some Morrissey (and pay attention this time, Ben!). Get a few good Smiths/Morrissey albums, you eliminate the need for 75% of your standing record collection. Guaranteed. Especially on the Ben Folds front. Morrissey's funnier, sadder, AND more clever.

did you just quote yourself ?

children with angels

Really like Ben Folds. I think his stuff with the band was better: it had more energy.

Anyone heard/like Fear Of Pop (Ben's piss-take electronica/funk/monologue album)? William Shatner performs one of my favourite songs of all time on that record.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Ghostboy

I prefer the solo album. It has so many great songs....Annie Waits, The Ascent Of Stan...and then The Luckiest, which is just so beautifully sincere. Listening to his music makes me want to get better at the piano...while simultaneously making me think "Why bother?" because he's just so darn good.

children with angels

Oh yeah, the solo album's great, but there's someting about the production of it: it sounds so smooth, as if every little bump and quirk has been ironed out. The songs are generally still great, but Ben Folds Five's albums had a slightly more live, energetic feel about them to me. And most of my favourite songs he's written are on the older albums: Philosophy, Underground, Evaporated, Smoke, Narcolepsy, Song For The Dumped... ahh: too many to name. However: Still Fighting It, from Rockin', = one of the best songs ever (that = slight overstatement for dramatic effect).
"We always do..."

RegularKarate

Quote from: GhostboyI prefer the solo album. It has so many great songs....Annie Waits, The Ascent Of Stan...and then The Luckiest, which is just so beautifully sincere.

I'm gonna get my ass kicked for saying something like this on the playground, but we played "The Luckiest" at our wedding.  It's a great fucking song.

(for the record, we also played "Anyway you want it" by Journey)

I agree, the solo stuff is prime.

children with angels

Quote from: RegularKaratewe played "The Luckiest" at our wedding.

That's beautiful, man!
"We always do..."

xerxes

Quote from: GhostboyI prefer the solo album. It has so many great songs....Annie Waits, The Ascent Of Stan...and then The Luckiest, which is just so beautifully sincere. Listening to his music makes me want to get better at the piano...while simultaneously making me think "Why bother?" because he's just so darn good.

i'm right with you man   :(

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: GhostboyI prefer the solo album. It has so many great songs....Annie Waits, The Ascent Of Stan...and then The Luckiest, which is just so beautifully sincere.

I'm gonna get my ass kicked for saying something like this on the playground, but we played "The Luckiest" at our wedding.  It's a great fucking song.

I agree, the solo stuff is prime.

no i think thats kind of cool, there are other things in this world worthy of ridicule

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm glad we got off that Miles Davis and SNL tangeant for a second.

(Of course when I say 'Got off that Miles Davis' anything you'd auotmatically presume trouble...or quite a weekend.)
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

And that's enough to kill a thread 2 months old.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarateI'm gonna get my ass kicked for saying something like this on the playground, but we played "The Luckiest" at our wedding.  It's a great fucking song.

Couldn't find any Radiohead wedding songs?  :(

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: RegularKarateI'm gonna get my ass kicked for saying something like this on the playground, but we played "The Luckiest" at our wedding.  It's a great fucking song.

Couldn't find any Radiohead wedding songs?  :(

"Punch up at a Wedding" wasn't available at the time.

We really did go through a lot of music to decide what we used where... Radiohead just make the cut.  Not because we don't like radiohead, because we love them (it took me a couple years to convince her how good they were), but you know...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Thought I'd ressurect this sumbitch by saying that I had 80 some Ben Folds songs, and recently found out i'm missing a whole bunch more.  Does anyone know when the new CD comes out?