INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Dr_Chile

Timothy Simons had this to say about INHERENT VICE on the Veep Facebook page....

"It was the most nervous I've ever been and also the most fun I've ever had. PTA was amazing to work with."

https://www.facebook.com/veep/photos/a.276955355715290.66119.270240406386785/624617367615752/?type=1&comment_id=2030796&reply_comment_id=2030830&offset=0&total_comments=82&notif_t=photo_reply

Punch

Now it's all but certain that Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice won't be going there either. This morning I spoke to an industry friend who's seen Vice (and who thinks it's brilliant and mesmerizing in an atmospheric, non-linear sort of way) and says that Anderson, currently doing the sound mix, doesn't really want to subject Vice to Cannes and would rather take his time and tinker around over the summer and then unveil it in Telluride/Venice/Toronto.

This follows what a friend told me a week or two ago, which is that Cannes topper Thierry Fremaux "has been courting and wooing PTA like mad to get Inherent Vice to Cannes, and that PTA has been telling him since January that it would be very tight for him to get post-production done in time and that he wouldn't show it to Thierry until then. Perhaps PTA would privately like to go to Cannes, but I'm also told that Warner Bros. is against the idea, considering it too early given its December release date. If PTA insists and finishes the film to his satisfaction over the next couple of weeks, he could probably prevail over Warner Bros, but the latest I hear is that everything is still very much up in the air."

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2014/04/double-downer/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=Daily/Hourly+Hollywood+Meditation&utm_content=Opinion,+wisdom,+tin+foil,+attitude
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Lottery

Quote...It's brilliant and mesmerizing in an atmospheric, non-linear sort of way.

Niiice.

Drenk

QuoteMix together The Big Lebowski and Altman's The Long Goodbye, turn it into a two-and-a-half hour PT Anderson epic and you're getting close to the awesome experience of Inherent Vice. Even Joaquin Phoenix's performance has echoes of 70′s Elliot Gould with a touch of The Dude. But don't get me wrong, this film is its own animal. A drug-fueled detective story filled with great psychedelic music and beautiful, grainy cinematography, it's both hilarious and confounding at times. But Anderson does an incredible job of making the incredibly complex plot both comprehensible and entertaining. Even though he's apparently said he's still tinkering, it felt like a finished film and will definitely go down as one of my favorites of his.

http://thefilmstage.com/news/first-impressions-from-paul-thomas-andersons-inherent-vice-which-will-skip-cannes/

So the movie is done? Eight months to wait? It's fine if he wins Oscars, but Oscars should consider to kill themselves.
Ascension.

squints

You had me at...

Quote from: Drenk on April 14, 2014, 04:56:53 PM
QuoteMix together The Big Lebowski and Altman's The Long Goodbye, turn it into a two-and-a-half hour PT Anderson epic and you're getting close to the awesome experience of Inherent Vice.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Lottery

Some words from Keith Jardine.

QuoteSince that time and his subsequent break from fighting, Jardine has stayed busy with stunt roles and even landed a sizeable part in the upcoming movie 'Inherent Vice' where he shares the bulk of his screen time opposite Academy Award nominated actor Joaquin Phoenix.

"I did a couple stunt roles in Transcendence and A Million Ways to Die in the West, but what I'm most proud of, I did a deal with P.T. Anderson and Joaquin Phoenix. P.T. Anderson's the director of directors.  He wrote and directed 'Boogie Nights', 'There Will Be Blood', a lot of Oscar winning movies so that was a true honor for me," Jardine said.

"That's up there with the proudest things I've ever done, along with my best fights and everything.  My manager called me and said they're having trouble casting this role, do you want to come down here? I had to fly to LA on my own dime and I walked in on a cold reading, talk about nervous, but I didn't know it was for Paul Thomas Anderson.  I walked in and I did this cold reading with some pretty sick dialogue, it was a few pages, and we went over it for about two hours and I went home and about a week later I got a call that I got the role."

The reality of that casting process was Jardine landing the role in spite of being a fighter instead of because of it. As it turns out being a professional fighter turned actor was actually a hindrance to his new career because some casting directors tend to pigeon hole fighters in a type cast role, and even then, if they wanted a professional mixed martial artist, why not go for a bigger name like Chuck Liddell or Jon Jones? So it was refreshing when Jardine found out on his first day as part of the cast of 'Inherent Vice' that no one had any idea that he used to be one of the top fighters in the UFC.

"Until the day I arrived on set, they had no idea I was a fighter.  It was just because of the look and being able to do the look," Jardine revealed.

The filming for the movie was a real experience for Jardine, who had been a part of some pretty serious projects previously, but mostly as a stunt actor and not in speaking roles.  This time he had a script, actual lines, and even some back and forth with the star of the movie.

"All my action was with Joaquin, such a great guy. Super humble, super sweet, just a great guy," Jardine said.  "I could tell you stories.  Like we were at lunch and he was like there's this one part in the book where this happens and he'd say 'go read this and see what you think' and next thing you know I'd be over in my trailer and they'd bring me a bunch of lines from that part of the book.  It was crazy."

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/keith-jardine-one-more-round-040214

ElPandaRoyal

Ahah. As soon as I searched his name on Google and saw his face, I immediately thought he could only be Puck.
Si

Axolotl

Quote from: Drenk on April 14, 2014, 04:56:53 PM
Mix together The Big Lebowski and Altman's The Long Goodbye and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, turn it into a two-and-a-half hour PT Anderson epic and you're getting close to the awesome experience of Inherent Vice

Jeremy Blackman

Maybe it's post April 20th fatigue, but I feel like if PTA manages to make all of this not annoying it will be a cinematic miracle.

Lottery

Axolotl

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 25, 2014, 06:56:44 PM
Maybe it's post April 20th fatigue, but I feel like if PTA manages to make all of this not annoying it will be a cinematic miracle.
I hate stoner culture as much as the next guy, but that pic is not at all a good representation of  the book or that scene. So it won't be annoying unless you think The Big Lebowski is annoying because the Dude smokes weed.

Jeremy Blackman

Alright. The Big Lebowski is definitely not annoying.

Alexandro

so, there's a possibility that an animated rabbit lights up a joint to a handcuffed joaquin phoenix and we're worrying?

now im worried its not going to happen

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

It won't. but don't worry about it. have y'all ever felt worried about a PT Anderson movie? I think he pretty much quells those sensations as soon as the first frame hits...