a _______ __________ film

Started by sphinx, January 21, 2003, 03:00:09 PM

sphinx

what do you guys think about the 'a _______ ________ film' credit?  also includes 'a ___________ picture' and all other variations.  pretentious?  deserving?  discuss

RegularKarate

I don't think it's that bad.  They need to identify the director somehow.  They usually say who's in the movie even though you can see them on the screen, you don't usually see the director on the screen, except when they do that "A Howie Mandell Film" thing.

The one that I don't really like is the "A Film by____________" as if no one else helped.

I know those are both pretty similar, but... you know

Xixax

Totally deserving, IMO.

It's like saying something is "A _______________ CD".

It's who made it... Yeah, a lot of other people are a part of making it, but ultimately it falls in the lap of that person. Sink or float, I think it's deserving.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Cecil

i dont think its pretentious at all.

©brad

PTA does the "A P.T. Anderson Picture" as do his idols Jonathan Demme and Martin Scorsese. I like that.

I'm not the biggest fan of title sequences. I think some can be cool, but I rather save the titles for the end and just get on w/ the movie. Plus, I like to see the director's name right at the end when it cuts to black. Like Magnolia, watching Claudia smile and then cut to "Written and Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson" is kind of chilling.

Jeremy Blackman

You know what I really don't like? Lars von Trier's opening credits thing.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: cbrad4d
I'm not the biggest fan of title sequences.

I like when a movie just starts. You are sitting in the theater, you see the corny CGI rollercoaster/THX ad for their theater and bam, the scene starts, no credits or nothing.

RegularKarate

It depends on the movie with me... title sequences that is.

If it's an adventure or epic at all, I like the movie to start, get me sucked in, then go into a great title sequence.

I really liked PDL just starting like that, I've noticed no opening credits is becoming a trend again and that really works with some movies.

Victor

Quote from: RegularKarate
I really liked PDL just starting like that, I've noticed no opening credits is becoming a trend again and that really works with some movies.

i wonder if it was originally concieved that way. when i first saw the artwork, i thought, wow, cool way to start the movie and put the titles in. but then the opening titles never came up, which is cool, but one has to wonder if it had sometihng to do with adam sandler/emily watson getting the "name before title" credit, which would have forced all of the credits to be in the opening.

the opening title for 'trainspotting' comes to mind. it always seemed a little out of place. its much cooler when it pops up at the end. i wonder if the original european version has the title at the beginning as well.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Gold Trumpet

Fuck opening title sequences to hell. No purpose put into a movie, should be at end. some title sequences have been good, Pulp Fiction the best and only one where I would keep it in. Catch Me If You Can had one so good i think it was competing with the quality of the film. But, in general, fuck opening title sequences.

But if it must be done, at least keep it to a minimum amount of time. Most Kubrick films were very good at it and Speilberg's Minority Report was very good, but when they start getting really in depth on crediting everyone, its not a good way to approach the movie and get me interested in watching it if I am being forced to daze off for 5 to 10 minutes.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

The opening credit sequence for "Catch Me If You Can" was one of the best I've seen in a while. "Seven" is still one of the tops for me.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

What was better then, the opening title sequence of Catch Me If You Can, or the movie itself?

I think when a title sequence is that good and creative and gets asked this question, then it is a bad sign because people are bringing back memories too much of something that shouldn't be really that important at all.

~rougerum

phil marlowe

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetFuck opening title sequences to hell.

~rougerum

:shock:

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhat was better then, the opening title sequence of Catch Me If You Can, or the movie itself?

Someone who would ask such a question didn't enjoy the movie. It's like being asked, "How'd you like the film." And you reply, "...Great credit sequence."

QuoteI think when a title sequence is that good and creative and gets asked this question, then it is a bad sign because people are bringing back memories too much of something that shouldn't be really that important at all.

You mean to tell me that you've never acknowledged a stand out part of a movie, whether cinematography, art direction, costumes, etc? Items that shouldn't draw your attention away from the story, but because something about them strikes you, you do? "Wow, what a cool shot," "nice piece of music," etc. Something that sticks in your mind long after. A title sequence is just another part of a film. Sure it's to credit the players, but when done artfully it should be acknowledged, just as any other "unimportant" aspect of a film. One can separate the different parts of a film and appreciate them individually, credit sequences are no different.

A credit sequence at the beginning of a film should set a tone (along with the score) to put you in the mood and frame of mind for what you are about to watch. Look up the master of credit sequences (Saul Bass) and watch it done the right way.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Lester
Quote from: RegularKarate

i wonder if it was originally concieved that way.

From the script:

1. LOGO

Presentation cards with white, red, blue, blue-green backgrounds, then:

CUT TO:

2. INT. WAREHOUSE - EARLY MORNING

CAMERA (STEADICAM) holds on a man in a suit, sitting behind a desk, on the phone: BARRY EGAN (Adam Sandler)
----------------------------------------------------

it all kind of goes on from there