Fact...or fiction?

Started by imawombat, August 01, 2004, 08:53:13 AM

imawombat

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/07/28/MNR.TMP

Hey guys-

Saw this article online that mentions PTA's upcoming project...Is this accurate?  Anyone know anything about this?

Senate honcho Burton feeling the pull of Hollywood

Phillip Matier, Andrew Ross
 Wednesday, July 28, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the budget battle behind him and term limits on the horizon, state Senate President John Burton appears to be entertaining a new role in life -- Hollywood actor.

No kidding, Arnold.

Word is that the San Francisco Democrat, who will see the curtain drop on his long public service career at year's end, has been offered a role that's still being written for him in a film by Paul Thomas Anderson, the director-producer whose credits include "Hard Eight," "Boogie Nights," "Magnolia" and "Punch-Drunk Love."

"He plays a grouchy, loudmouth politician, so it won't be much of a stretch,'' said Burton's L.A. attorney pal Paul Gough, who also happens to be Anderson's uncle.

Gough says that when Burton and Anderson ran into each other Thursday night at the high-profile Kate Mantillini eatery on Wilshire Boulevard, the producer warned the senator that just because he was comfortable talking to a TV camera doesn't mean he's ready for film.

"Sometimes, politicians will freeze up in front of the movie camera,'' Anderson said.

"Yeah,'' shot back Burton. "You mean the way actors freeze up when testifying before the Senate.''

By the way, the acting bug seems to be spreading. No sooner did actor Arnold Schwarzenegger land the part of governor than ex-Gov. Gray Davis started showing up in TV commercials for Yahoo. He's even hired a Hollywood agent.

The Dianne factor: Sen. Dianne Feinstein will make tonight's big nominating speech for John Kerry -- and in keeping with our Hollywood theme, here's the back story.

Feinstein and Kerry hit it off from the day they were introduced, and the two struck up a conversation about an issue near and dear to both of them -- Vietnam POWs.

"They bonded early,'' says a Feinstein confidante.

Ever since, the two have been staunch allies in the Senate. When Kerry's presidential campaign was sputtering badly last year, Feinstein stood steadfast.

"She stayed with him when he was roadkill,'' the source says.

And speaking of Feinstein, quite a crowd of delegates, fat cats and political loyalists turned out at the big luncheon the senator hosted Monday at Boston's Westin Copley -- an event co-sponsored by Southern California Edison and Disney.

"Not an empty seat in the house,'' says our source.

The biggest crowd pleaser: San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, who drew a standing ovation.

The lunch low point: A SoCal Edison exec trying to explain the important role his company played in helping California weather the state's energy crisis.

It also didn't go unnoticed that embattled Disney CEO Michael Eisner, who has been a major Democratic contributor, did not attend. The company sent Disney chairman and ex-Sen. George Mitchell in his place.

Then again, as our source put it, "Eisner's stock is not real high around here,'' especially after he refused to distribute "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Mixed reviews: Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger got his budget, but his "girlie-man" outburst may have cost him points with his fans.

Soundings in swing districts across the state show a 10-point drop in the stratospheric approval ratings the actor-turned-politician enjoyed just a few months ago.

"He's gone from a high of 68 to 70 percent in March to the high 50s -- which is still good, but the luster is gone,'' said Democratic pollster Jim Moore, who has been testing voters in swing districts in preparation for the November election.

It's not that Arnold's disapproval numbers are getting any bigger -- it's just that Democrats who had been supportive of the Republican strongman's "nonpartisan" stands on workers' compensation reform and the earlier budget bailout are having second thoughts.

"Now they're back to the 'undecided' column,'' Moore said. "His 'girlie-man' remarks have some worried that we may have another Jesse Ventura on our hands -- which is something people were afraid of when he first got elected.''

A top Schwarzenegger adviser, who asked not to be named, said Moore had a point.

"Look at the mood of the country these days," he said. "It doesn't take much to get people polarized, and there were a few appearances where the governor was uncharacteristically partisan. But that's over now.''

Cattle call: While all TV eyes are on the main podium, there's been a casting call over at Boston's Westin Copley, as a stream of California Democratic officeholders try out their potential gubernatorial chops at the state delegation's breakfast meetings.

Reviews so far from attendees we spoke with: Attorney General Bill Lockyer -- smart, funny but a bit dull.

State Controller Steve Westly -- seems to have had some coaching, but has yet to find his voice.

Treasurer Phil Angelides -- true believer, clear on views, but yet to inspire.

"It's like one big audition -- only what they really need is a hook,'' quipped former San Francisco mayor-turned-pundit Willie Brown.

"Hey, no one sounds good at that hour of the morning,'' counters Rep. Anna Eshoo, D-Atherton.

Nevertheless, everyone seems to be making it onto TV at some time of the day.

"And with good reason -- have you seen the ratio between delegates and the press? It's something like 3 to 1,'' Brown said.

"You want to know what the luminary level is at? People are asking Gray Davis for his autograph!''

Chronicle columnists Phillip Matier and Andrew Ross appear Sundays, Mondays and Wednesdays. They can also be heard on KGO Radio on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Phil Matier can be seen regularly on KRON 4 News, and also on Sunday night at 9:30 on his own show, "4 the Record." Got a tip? Call them at (415) 777-8815 or drop them an e-mail at matierandross@sfchronicle.com.

Page B - 1

Get 50% off home delivery of the Chronicle for 12 weeks!  
©2004 San Francisco Chronicle | Feedback | FAQ

Chronicle SectionsDatebookCommentaryFoodSportsNewsBay AreaHome&GardenBusiness
these things do happen

coffeebeetle

If this is true...veeeeery interesting.  I can see this guy playing a loud-mouthed, grumpy politician.  

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

meatball

imawombat, how is your avatar like it is?

mogwai

and i thought pta stopped making movies.

imawombat

Quote from: meatballimawombat, how is your avatar like it is?

:?: hey meatball...

i'm new here (hence the low post count), but my avatar looks normal to me...what's up with it?

by the way, i dig your psh avatar :-D
these things do happen

Finn

Nice avatar, I had never seen that pic of PTA until now.

As far as the thread goes...Yippie! :-D
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I've been waiting for a debut from this director for a while.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

meatball

Quote from: imawombat
Quote from: meatballimawombat, how is your avatar like it is?

:?: hey meatball...

i'm new here (hence the low post count), but my avatar looks normal to me...what's up with it?

by the way, i dig your psh avatar :-D

PTA's head and hands are so big, he has child proportions!

Stefen

Yeah for real, whats up with his handles? Maybe thats why him and apple aernt together anymore, she was so tiny. He probably just wanted to hang out with Sandler fulltime.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: StefenYeah for real, whats up with his handles? Maybe thats why him and apple aernt together anymore, she was so tiny. He probably just wanted to hang out with Sandler fulltime.
what handles? those are shirt creases.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: StefenYeah for real, whats up with his handles? Maybe thats why him and apple aernt together anymore, she was so tiny. He probably just wanted to hang out with Sandler fulltime.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about his grippers, they are huge. Whats the matter with you?/.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Stefen
Quote from: Pubrick

What are you talking about? I'm talking about his grippers, they are huge. Whats the matter with you?/.
oh right. i thought u meant love-handles.

his grapplers are indeed freakishly huge in that pic.
under the paving stones.

ABKman18

I found this on imdb and I was just wondering if anybody else has seen it.
Its a post on the PTA messageboard there, from this guy who knows someone who is working with pre-production on PTA's next film, from what he says.
here is the post:

"I have information I got from someone who is involved in the pre-production of Paul Thomas Anderson's next film. I wasn't allowed to give out the title but Sean Penn and Jennifer Jason Leigh have been cast and shooting starts in January. As far as that Senator goes, I have no clue. Its being released by Columbia Pictures/ Revolution Studios. Produced by Daniel Lupi and Joanne Seller, and music by Jon Brion and Michael Penn."

It seems in line with what we've been hearing...

ElPandaRoyal

Somehow, this sounds like B. S. to me. However, I'm wishing it isn't  :wink:
Si