Happy Anniversary XIXAX.com

Started by Fernando, January 07, 2004, 01:31:39 PM

Fernando

Quote from: XIXAXWell, here it is. Thanks for stopping by.

Why did I start this message board? Well...

In March of 2002, Greg from ptanderson.com and I started up a message board to discuss PTA's films. From this message area, a community of rabid film fans grew.

Then, at the end of December, 2002, Greg decided to pull the plug on the message board because the content had strayed so far from the original intent of the message area. The users were spending more time talking about their OTHER favorite films and goofing on each other than they spent talking about P.T. Anderson's work. In time, the message area was somewhat out-of-place for the PTA site, so the site's owner yanked it - rather abruptly.

This left the PTA community orphaned with no real place to go.

A couple of PTA community regulars started some other message boards to try to "gather the flock" so to speak, but they were quickly met with difficulties. The first attempt was shut down due to bandwidth consumption. A second PTA community was constructed, but it contained popup ads. I still wanted a place (without popups) where I could read and talk film with other movie buffs. So, I created this little message system from some free software and a domain name I purchased on a whim a few years ago.

What does Xixax (pronounced "sick-sacks", "sicks-axe" or "sex-acts" if you prefer) mean? From what I understand, it means nothing. The word comes from an old German punk rock diva, Nina Hagen. Her album NunSexMonkRock has been one of my favorites since I was a kid, and it contains a song called Born in Xixax. That's about the extent of it. One evening I decided to look and see if this 5-letter dot-com name was taken. It was available, and on an impulse I snatched it up. At least now it's something useful.

Have a good time here. We'll see how this message area thing goes!

-Michael
:lol:

Good work Micheal, I've enjoyed tremendously this site, I'll post later what for me have been the highlights of this first year.

Also I want to thank Mac and Mini-Mac for their huge contribution in news of any film, dvd, future projects, etc.

To the admins which I think have done really good work.

For their humor: Slorg (you'll always be tremo to me), P, Cecil (wherever he is now), GDIDM, Mr. BK.

For their knowledge: Again Mac, Godardian, SNT, Ono, Cinephile.

And all other members for making this a great place to be and particularly all girls at xixax, I love you all.

Xixax

Yup. We came to life on 08 Jan, 2003 at 10:13 am.

I'd say it's been a pretty fun year overall.

I miss some of the peeps that spent a lot of time here in the beginning, but I like the newbs, too.

Now, if Sphinx, life_boy, XL Negro, bluejaytwist, bonbon85, atticus jones, Michael Alessandro, Buck Swope, and about 2 dozen other hipsters would find their way home, I'd be really, really happy.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

context, context, context.

Sigur Rós

I miss AlguienPantalones eventhough he was a troublemaker. Does anyone have his e-mail?

I also miss Sphinx cause he was such a fatherly-figure to all of xixax.

©brad

Quote from: Sigur RósI also miss Sphinx cause he was such a fatherly-figure to all of xixax.

nah, sphinx is more of an all-knowing little brother.

i think either mike or mac are the fatherly figures around here, atleast for me. RK seems like the cool uncle that snuck you a beer or two when you were little and had to sit at the kiddie table.

we've done this before i think.

kotte

I have to apologize to Mike. I do see him as a mentor... :)

The Guff as well. May he never leave.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: ©bradRK seems like the cool uncle that snuck you a beer or two when you were little and had to sit at the kiddie table.

That is the sharpest observation you've ever made!

I predict that 2004 will be the year where Mac reveals that he is in fact Colin Farrel.

SoNowThen

cheers boys (and gals)

to another great, fun, messy, pissed off then happy again, passionate, film-loving year!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

©brad

Quote from: Sigur Rós
Quote from: ©bradRK seems like the cool uncle that snuck you a beer or two when you were little and had to sit at the kiddie table.

That is the sharpest observation you've ever made!

thanks! um, i think.  :?

oh yeah, i would also like to congratulate the site and everyone who has stuck w/ it. we've had a tough year indeed, and went through a many of internet message board crisiseses. but we made it. the site is the best it's ever been, if you ask me. i'm excited about 2004. (even though, movie-wise, there's not much to look forward to. no LOTR/matrix sequels to drool over, nada :( )

has a massive xixax reunion ever been discussed?  i've been  curious about this.

©brad

Quote from: chuckhimselfohas a massive xixax reunion ever been discussed?  i've been  curious about this.

we got folk in every continent, save antartica. it'd be costly.

if we had one i'd say we do it in vegas or barcelona. both excellent party spots.

kotte

Quote from: chuckhimselfohas a massive xixax reunion ever been discussed?  i've been  curious about this.

eh? We're all here. Do you mean, bring back the 10- old members that made an impact on the board?

Quote from: ©brad

if we had one i'd say we do it in vegas or barcelona. both excellent party spots.

now you're talking to me baby, that i like.

kotte

Quote from: chuckhimselfo
Quote from: ©brad

now you're talking to me baby, that i like.

ahh, you mean in person... :)

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs