2013 Xixax Awards CAMPAIGN THREAD

Started by polkablues, March 03, 2013, 09:08:17 PM

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on March 19, 2013, 04:24:26 AM
Quote from: classical gas on March 18, 2013, 11:33:52 PM
'A Separation' for best screenplay, like, ever!
plus, best actress! 

anyone...?

Damn, I really have to watch this and the XIXAX awards seems like a good enough reason to do so as soon as possible.

I have now seen it and YES!!! Also every actor will be considered.
Si

Sleepless

Okay, I forgot all about A Seperation. Add it to my list of movies I've got to try and cram-watch before the deadline. Shit, that's Friday!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

Alps is still the best movie I saw last year. Yorgos Lanthimos is probably the most gnarly filmmaker right now. Nobody is on a hotter streak. You either have the storytelling or the cool shots, but he's one of the rate ones who has both.

It used to be available to stream on Netflix, but it doesn't appear it is anymore.

The Dark Knight Rises is still the worst movie I saw last year. Because it was fucking dumb. Don't even get me started...

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Lottery

Quote from: S.R. on March 20, 2013, 12:19:09 PM
The Dark Knight Rises [/i] is still the worst movie I saw last year. Because it was fucking dumb. Don't even get me started...

Surely not, Prometheus came out the same year. Next to TDK, TDKR is a massive disappointment. But by itself, it's quite an entertaining collection of scenes, which aren't entirely logical but still fun. The movie goes off the rails/sabotages the tracks with dynamite in the second half though.

Sleepless

I'm really struggling with my nominations. Although there are still a handful of (mostly foreign) films from 2012 I have yet to see, for a lot categories I'm struggling to get more than 3 or 4 truly decent nominees. I feel like there's at least one really good film from last year which I just can't remember, but none of the "best of" lists I'm finding are reminding me of what on earth it could be. Does anyone have a list to an exhaustive list?

And since this is the campaign thread I just wanted to throw out a couple of suggestions which are certainly worth checking out if you haven't already:

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alexandro

I think the performances by the female leads in those two films are truly worthy of consideration.

I have to throw this one out, although I don't know if it would be elegible:

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, by Nuri Bilge Ceylan.

It is a masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned. A perfectly crafted police procedural, with an outstanding cast in which everyone has moments to shine, and a pace that allows a simple anecdote to stretch to the point of becoming philosophical. I was really surprised with this film, and highly recommend it to anyone.

Alexandro

Yeah but in the nominate thread, Polka said A Separation was elegible, didn't he?
and I mean, really, it was close to getting nominated because not enough people saw it. it's too fucking good.

Jeremy Blackman

Ah, I missed that. Since we already made that announcement, and since it didn't get enough votes last year to actually get nominated, let's keep it eligible.

Deleted my post above to prevent confusion.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless