Yossarian

Started by budgie, February 02, 2003, 11:17:28 AM

budgie

Just read Catch 22, never seen the 1970 movie version (is it any good?), but thinking another would be appropriate now.

But who would play Yossarian? The only actor I can think of is George Clooney, but he's too old.

And who could write and/or direct it? Don't say Spielberg and friends, because he'd do something like pad out Nurse Duckett's role as a major love interest and have her waving a fucking hankie at the end.

Also, Yoss-air-rian or Yoss-are-rian?

MacGuffin

No remake. Although I don't remember how faithful it was to the book, the Mike Nichols version (with Buck Henry's script) is brilliant. Alan Arkin is choice casting. Beautiful cinematography. And if you can find the DVD, it has a great commentary track with Soderberg interviewing Nichols.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Ive seen Catch 22, never read the book but found it to be just ok. Maybe it was my frame of mind, it was late at night.

life_boy

Love the book but haven't seen the movie in a while.  I remember liking it, but I'm not sure how much.  I got the DVD for Christmas but haven't watched it yet.

polkablues

"Catch-22" is one of my favorite movies.  I saw it before I read the book, and couldn't get through the book as a result.    Alan Arkin and Charles Grodin both gave the best performances of their careers.

The only current actor I could even imagine playing Yossarian is Ron Livingston.
My house, my rules, my coffee

CollinBullock

As an interesting side note, my dad wanted to name me Yossarian when I was born.  But my mom wouldn't let him, so they named me something else.  But my dad still called me Yossarian for the better part of my life, so I internally think of it as my name.  I kind of wish they had named me that officially, it's a cool name.
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam