Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

cine

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetEISENSTEIN SILENT YEARS boxset (looking like 2004) (probably containing STRIKE, BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN, OCTOBER and others?)

I'm actually looking forward to this a great deal as well. And Criterion NEEDS more Ozu. Well, at least I do.

modage

BREAKING NEWS OVER AT THE CRITERION WEBSITE!

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

I just checked. nothing. What breaking news?

~rougerum

SoNowThen

Dude, School Of Rock director approved triple disc special edition coming next year!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

only if my computer loaded the image in time for me to get the joke........

~rougerum

Ravi

themodernage02, I am digging your avatar!

rustinglass

rules of the game! great! that's one of kusturica's favourite films!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Gold Trumpet

From Variety:

Mon., Sep. 29, 2003, 6:16pm PT

Rialto to re-release '65's 'Algiers'

Pic to be revamped, slated for January release

By GABRIELLE MITCHELL-MARELL

Rialto Pictures will re-release "The Battle of Algiers," Gillo Pontecorvo's 1965 film depicting the Algerian uprising against the occupying French in the late 1950s.

Pic will be revamped with more detailed subtitles.

Rialto will theatrically release the film for the Classic Collection, which acquired the rights from Casbah Films of Algiers.

It is slated for release in Gotham, Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington, D.C., in January.

The Classic Collection will handle DVD release for the fall of 2004.

"Algiers" was originally released in the U.S. and Europe but was banned in France for its negative representation of French colonialism.

It picked up the grand prize at the Venice Film Festival in 1965 and was nominated for three Academy Awards.

"It's a very famous film in cinema circles, but you cannot find the tape or get it online," said Rialto Pictures co-prexy Bruce Goldstein.

"There is a tremendous demand for this film that goes beyond a cinephile audience because it offers an incredible parallel to what is going on today," he added.

"Algiers" will be the sixth film Rialto and the Classic Connection have partnered on to re-release.

Previous ventures include Jean Renoir's "Grand Illusion" and Georges Franju's stylized horror pic "Eyes Without a Face," slated to open in Gotham, L.A. and Chicago on Halloween.
--------------------------------

As note, the Classic Collection refers to Criterion. Not just bad journalism, but on the back covers of some discs, they even refer to themselves as The Classic Collection.

And also, it was mentioned the horror pic "Eyes Without a Face is coming to Rialto which automatically suggests a Criterion release in the future. No cute article from Variety on that one, but here's the site for it at film forum with more info: http://www.filmforum.com/films/eyes.html

~rougerum

Find Your Magali

Groovy news! :-D

PTA, of course, called "Algiers" one of his inspirations for Boogie Nights and, in his introduction to the published script, tells readers to, "stop reading this stupid introduction and see ... Battle of Algiers."

godardian

Claire's Knee is Rohmer at his best. Diary of a Country Priest is my personal favorite Bresson. The list above is mouth-watering. l

Anyone who picked up or has otherwise had a chance to watch any of the Fassbinder BDR box, please post to the Fassbinder item in the "Director's Chair" board!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

edison

From Criterion's site:

"The Battle of Algiers," Italian director Gillo Pontecorvo's legendary re-telling of the struggle for Algerian independence from France, will be re-released in January 2004 by Rialto Pictures and Janus Films. New 35mm prints featuring a new subtitle translation will open in theaters in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington D.C. Look also for a Criterion DVD of "The Battle of Algiers" in 2004.

Gold Trumpet

Rumor had it a little while that yet another Preston Sturges movie would be released through Criterion to join his other films in the collection (The Lady Eve, Sullivan's Travels) and now it is finally confirmed: Unfaithfully Yours is the title that will be released.

Confirmation of its Criterion release (scroll to bottom): http://www.prestonsturges.com/bulletin_dvd.html

Info on film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040919/

Reason why I look forward to this and will likely pick it up is because Sturges is always reliable for good humor and word has it that Rex Harrison was one of the best at what he did then. Its just hard a lot of his films in my location of acquiring hard to get movies.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

sullivan's travels rocks. i can't wait for this one and i'm now compelled to put the lady eve on my netflix.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: bonanzatazsullivan's travels rocks. i can't wait for this one and i'm now compelled to put the lady eve on my netflix.

Both completely excellent. Another great Sturges: Christmas in July. It would make a prime Criterion release for a holiday season sometime...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

Major annoucement in the Tokyo Story dvd. It has releases announced for January or early next year in its catalog. Here's the rundown along with spine numbers:

#216: Jean Renoir's Rules of the Game
#221: Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru
#222: Robert Bresson's Diary of a Country Priest
#223: Barbet Schroeder's Maitress
#224: Sam Fuller's Pickup on South Street.

All, besides Maitress, are priced at $39.95. This could indicate 2 disc special editions or some very meaty single discs. Some of these films are movies that fans have been waiting on for a while. For me, I'm getting all of them besides Maitress. I've been waiting for Criterion to release these films and this is major news.

(only changed title to "Major News!" because couldn't fit all title or director names in slot. And it is major news anyways)

~rougerum