Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

*******FOR UPDATED NEWS, PLEASE SEE LAST PAGE********

Ok, annoucements have come for the April releases from the Criterion Collection, along with other things. This isn't confirmed by Criterion Collection website but dvdtalk has this:

Coming on 04/29/03:

The White Shiek ($29.95): Federico Fellini's 1952 comedy about a young woman dreaming of a comic-book hero who can make her happier than her new husband.

The Adventures Of Antoine Doinel Box Set ($99.95): A 5-disc set covering four features by Francois Truffaut, detailing the multi-movie adventures of a character based on the director himself. Beginning with The 400 Blows (1959) and continuing through the 1960s and 70s with the short film Antoine and Colette and the features Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board? and Love on the Run, Truffaut collaborated with actor Jean-Pierre Leaud to create a long-running cinematic character and follow him through marriage, children, divorce and adulthood.

and then there are these links to the pre order of these movies from dvdplanet.com:

www.dvdplanet.com/product...format=DVD

www.dvdplanet.com/product...format=DVD

Next does come news from Criterion Collection itself of three dvds that are going to see the light of day come this late fall, and this for me personally is huge news because it contains two movies that are on the top of my list of movies to see.

Criterion Honors the Centennial of Ozu's Birth

In honor of the 100-year anniversary of the birth of renowned Japanese filmmaker Yasujiro Ozu (b: December 12, 2003; d: December 12, 1963), Criterion has acquired several of his most highly-regarded films. Among the Ozu films slated for DVD release in 2003 and 2004 are such classics as Floating Weeds, Early Summer, and Tokyo Story. Look for the first of Criterion's upcoming Ozu titles in the fall of 2003. Look also for an Ozu theatrical retrospective, travelling the world in 2003 and appearing as part of the 2003 New York Film Festival (Oct. 5 - Nov. 6).

Then there are some rumors that have been pushed with air of truth to it. It has been rumored that some Fox titles will be making their way to the Criterion Collection - namely Russ Meyer's "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls"; Robert Altman's "3 Women" and Akira Kurosawa's "Kagemusha". These three movies were rumored together part of a deal between the two companies. With Beyond the Valley of the Dollls, someone wrote an email to Roger Ebert (screenwriter of the film) if he going to do anything for the dvd release. Roger Ebert responded in an interview that a live discussion of BVD that included him was recorded for Criterion. This is a majoy indication that these dvds are going forth.

Also for more news on Ebert's front, when he was asked if he was doing any more commentaries, he said he had a commentary coming out for Casablanca and was going to do one for Ozu's Floating Weeds!

I AM FUCKING PUMPED BEYOND BELIEF.

~rougerum

xerxes

wow, 'tokyo story' and 'kagemusha.'  i am very much looking forward to seeing them on DVD. yay for me!  :P

Gold Trumpet

Here are links to the covers for almost all the Trauffaut films. Personally, I love the idea for the films as it shows one man's life as it grows and how the cover tries to convey that idea itself:

The 400 Blows w/ Antoine and Colette

www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/5_box_348x490.jpg

Stolen Kisses

www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/186_box_348x490.jpg

Bed and Board

www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/187_box_348x490.jpg

Love on the Run

www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/188_box_348x490.jpg

Then there is a very good cover and info for a very early subpar Fellini film, The White Sheik:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=189

~rougerum

Pwaybloe

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetHere are links to the covers for almost all the Trauffaut films. Personally, I love the idea for the films as it shows one man's life as it grows and how the cover tries to convey that idea itself:

The 400 Blows w/ Antoine and Colette
Stolen Kisses
Bed and Board
Love on the Run

Looking forward to these.  The covers look like J. Crew catalogs, but they're still nice.

Gold Trumpet

Teen Wolf

You're right about the J Crew look... my sister gets that catalogue. I'm so fucking excited about the Doinel series, though. All I gotta say is About fucking time!

Gold Trumpet

Criterion to Release Wrong Men & Notorious Women: Five Hitchcock Thrillers 1935-1946

Criterion is currently preparing Wrong Men & Notorious Women: Five Hitchcock Thrillers 1935-1946, a single-package gift set containing The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca, Spellbound, and Notorious, to be sold together at a reduced price. The individual releases of these five titles will continue to be available separately, featuring the same transfers and extras as the discs in the gift pack. Look for Wrong Men & Notorious Women: Five Hitchcock Thrillers 1935-1946 in May.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

I guess I would cream my pants, if I didn't have them all already. File under "Double Dipping Makes Sphinx MacGuffin Sad."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

What's with this whole creaming pants thing? I've been meaning to ask for a long time because I think I've been left in the dark.

Anyway, the plot description alone of The White Sheik is almost cool enough for me to blind buy it. That movie sounds awesome.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ebeaman69What's with this whole creaming pants thing? I've been meaning to ask for a long time because I think I've been left in the dark.

I'm sure MacGuffin is working on this redirect as we speak. It could be his magnum opus.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: ebeaman69What's with this whole creaming pants thing? I've been meaning to ask for a long time because I think I've been left in the dark.

I'm sure MacGuffin is working on this redirect as we speak. It could be his magnum opus.

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=276

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=130

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=128

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/groupcp.php

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=453
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

don't ebeam, it is a movie that can only really be appreciated and liked by hard core enthusiasts of Fellini himself, like me who get giddy when any of his films get royal treatment though we identify fellini has made some of the best films ever, and some of the worst ever. White Shiek isn't one of the worst ever, but its a film in Fellini's early day where very little sign of his mastery was evident. Even La Strada, a good film, but very overrated when being called "a classic", is with only some small signs of the director's mastery.

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetit is a movie that can only really be appreciated and liked by hard core enthusiasts of Fellini himself, like me

:?  Well, I bet Picolas would understand it, and he'd probably give you a new perspective, like.. what's with the giant octopus?

Gold Trumpet

There are rumors swirling around that along with the Trauffaut box set and The White Sheik, Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru may also be released for that month as well. Rumors for now, though. This would be a major release considering it is the biggest Kurosawa film maybe ever and the biggest to not get a dvd release yet. Stay tuned.....

~rougerum

picolas

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman.. what's with the giant octopus?

what isn't with the octopus?