Ghostbusters 3

Started by Sleepless, September 04, 2008, 09:14:05 PM

Sleepless

'The Office' writers to script Ghostbusters III. From Variety:

Columbia Pictures is getting serious about scaring up a new installment of its blockbuster "Ghostbusters" franchise.
The studio has set "The Office" co-exec producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky to write a script for a film designed to bring back together the original cast of Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson.

Studio would not comment on the development and has been mum on recent rumors that there was interest in making another installment of the franchise.

The scribes just wrote "Year One," a comedy that was directed by Ramis. Ramis with Aykroyd wrote the first two installments of the films. Ivan Reitman directed both the 1984 original and the sequel that was released in 1989. The close proximity between the writers and original Ghostbuster Ramis is evidence that the ghost chasers have sparked to the idea of returning.

"Ghostbusters" was Columbia's highest grossing film ever, until it was beaten by "Men in Black" and then "Spider-Man." An attempt to make a third installment of the franchise was stymied in the dealmaking stage. Sources said so much gross was pledged to the participants that it was next to impossible for the studio to make any money on a third installment.

No deals will be made with the original cast until the script is ready, but the gross percentage will certainly be an issue. Sony has a standing policy not to allow more than 25% of first dollar gross out the door.

The scribes, who are Emmy- nominated for their work on "The Office," just set up another picture at Columbia, selling their spec script "Bad Teacher" to the studio for Jimmy Miller to produce.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

Ramis has directed a bunch of episodes of The Office, so this isn't very surprising. It's kind of interesting.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

the last news i read about any GB 3 was something about a new videogame that would take the place of GB 3 because they're weren't going to do one - i believe words of Aykroyd.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Harold Ramis talks 'Ghostbusters' revival

There are more details on the effort to scare up a new "Ghostbusters" film. Flixster has a post about an e-mail interview with Dr. Egon Spengler himself, Harold Ramis. Here's what the actor and filmmaker shared:

"Yes, Columbia is developing a script for 'GB3' with my 'Year One' writing partners, Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg. Judd Apatow is co-producing 'Year One' and has made several other films for Sony, so of course the studio is hoping to tap into some of the same acting talent. Aykroyd, Ivan Reitman and I are consulting at this point, and according to Dan [Akroyd], Bill Murray is willing to be involved on some level. He did record his dialogue for the new Ghostbusters video game, as did Danny and I, and Ernie Hudson. The concept is that the old Ghostbusters would appear in the film in some mentor capacity. Not much else to say at this point. Everyone is confident a decent script can be written and I guess we'll take it from there."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 09, 2008, 09:58:36 AM
The concept is that the old Ghostbusters would appear in the film in some mentor capacity.

Boo. :yabbse-angry: Hopes suddenly dashed.

I smell Shia. Or Jonah.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

Bill Murray commented on GHOSTBUSTERS 3 tonight at Fantastic Fest!
Source: AICN

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Tonight's closing night film at Fantastic Fest was CITY OF EMBER with director Gil Kenan in attendance and a surprise appearance by Bill Murray. I dug the movie (more on that later), but the reason you're reading this is due to a question Kraken asked during the Q&A.

I'm sure at some point the video of this will come out, but the non-line for line version of the question was how would Murray feel about strapping on the proton pack and kicking some ghost ass again?

I was very curious to hear Murray's answer. He's not as available to the press or public as Dan Aykroyd or Harold Ramis and he also seemed to be the least enthusiastic about a Ghostbusters sequel...

But tonight he said that he knew "some writers from THE OFFICE" were taking a stab at the script right now (which we already knew) and that he thinks that's a good start. He paused for a few seconds then said that he thinks enough time has passed and that "the wounds from GHOSTBUSTERS 2 are healed" and that he would definitely be into doing another GHOSTBUSTERS movie, stating that the first 40 minutes of the original film is some of the best stuff he's been associated with and the whole shoot was an amazing amount of fun.

He also went on to say that his enthusiasm for Ghostbusters was heightened after recording the voice of Peter Venkman for the video game over the summer. In fact, he said he found himself walking down the street singing the Ghostbusters theme song and then thought people walking around him were going to start yelling at him to "get over yourself, Bill," so he stopped... But the enthusiasm was there.

How cool is that?!?!?

And I got to shake his hand (down in a cave an hour and a half outside of Austin, no less) and have about 30 seconds of smalltalk with the man, where I blubbered something about STRIPES, CADDYSHACK and GHOSTBUSTERS being seminal films growing up and quickly ran back into the huge crowd trying to get at him. I found him to be a lot nicer and down to earth than I expected. It was a great day to be a geek...

Just thought I'd share the words from the man himself on GHOSTBUSTERS 3. If I was concerned about yet another '80s cornerstone being revisited (and possibly ruined) I'm totally over that now. If Murray is excited, then goddamn... who couldn't be excited?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ghostbusters 3 Starts Filming in the Fall?
Source: ComingSoon

Dan Aykroyd participated in a chat with The Boston Globe in celebration of a new House of Blues opening and was asked by someone about the status of Ghostbusters 3. Here's the opening bit from the chat:

[Comment From Tom] Dan, I'm extremely excited for the HOB to be back in its birth-city!! I will be attending many shows. On a side note, and I'm sure you get these questions a lot, so I apologize in advance...Ghostbusters 3? I've heard that the writers of the Office are currently penning a script? How is this coming along, and should we look forward to this movie seeing the light of day? Thanks Dan!

Dan Aykroyd: Script is commenced early summer. Hope to be in production by late fall 2009.

It was announced last September that "The Office" co-executive producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky were going to write the script for the third film designed to bring back together the original cast of Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson. It was reported then that the concept is that the old Ghostbusters would appear in the film in some mentor capacity.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Apatow's Ghostbusters?
Studio boss weighs in on sequel rumors.

Judging by the online rumor mill, you would think that 40 Year-Old Virgin and Funny People director Judd Apatow was going to be involved with the newly reinvigorated Ghostbusters 3 and that some members of his company of actors, such as Seth Rogen, would appear in the sequel as a younger group of GBs. But is it true?

"It's not true," Doug Belgrad, president of Columbia Pictures, advised The Los Angeles Times. "We have some great new writers working on a new script, but Judd isn't involved. Judging from the frenzy on the Internet, there still seems to be plenty of interest in the idea of doing another film, so we're certainly taking that as a good sign."

Columbia Pictures has tapped the Emmy-nominated writing team of Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky (co-executive producers of The Office) to pen the screenplay. They also scripted the upcoming prehistoric comedy Year One for Columbia and Harold Ramis, who played Dr. Egon Spengler in the previous two Ghostbusters films.

Original GBs Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, and Ernie Hudson are not signed for the sequel but are reportedly willing to reprise their roles if the script is right. Aykroyd recently said production on GB3 could begin as soon as this fall if everything comes together.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I am really looking forward to this, but I fear it will be terrible.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

john

I watched both of them again a few years back when they were re-released on DVD. The first was just as pleasant and sly as it was when I was younger. The second film... not so much. So it's not like a mediocre third entry could tarnish the series anymore than the second already did.

So I don't fear it will be terrible... won't be much of a loss... but I do hope it will be great. The kind of fun, inventive humor and special effects spectacles that most summer films promise but rarely deliver.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

MacGuffin

Original 'Ghostbusters' Cast Onboard For Reboot, Harold Ramis Says
'We're going to be the sage mentors,' says Ramis, who starred in and co-wrote the '80s comedy.
Source: MTV

Two movie trends have converged and brought us a project that had been rumored for years that almost no one thought would actually happen.

Right now, remaking '80s comedies is hot ("Arthur" and "Beverly Hills Cop") and anything supernatural is really hot ("Twilight" and, uh, "Twilight"). To capitalize on these trends — or maybe just because it's not fair to deny longtime fans any longer — Columbia Pictures announced that a third "Ghostbusters" movie is in the works, two decades after the last one came out.

Earlier this week, Harold Ramis stopped by MTV News to chat about his new Jack Black comedy "The Year One" (in theaters June 19). But we also asked Ramis — who co-wrote the first two "Ghostbusters" movies and, of course, starred in them as uptight-but-lovable Dr. Egon Spengler — to dish details on the upcoming reboot.

Ramis promised that all the old core players will take part in the updated version, including Bill Murray (Dr. Peter Venkman) and Dan Aykroyd (Dr. Raymond Stantz), who co-wrote the original films. "We're all going to be in it in different kinds of roles," Ramis said. "We're going to be the sage mentors. There are going to be young Ghostbusters."

As of now, no decisions have been made about just who those new Ghostbusters will be. But with Judd Apatow signed on as a producer, the Internet has been buzzing with gossip that comedians from his cinematic universe, such as Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen, will join in.

At the moment, Ramis is waiting on a first draft of the script, which is being penned by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, two writer/producers on "The Office," who also wrote "Year One." "Gene and Lee, both of whom I mentored, are now writing the new 'Ghostbusters,' " Ramis said. "I'm consulting with them, as is Dan Aykroyd and [original director] Ivan Reitman.

"Bill Murray is just waiting for the truckload of money to arrive to get him out of his office," Ramis joked.

After taking a jab at his old friend, Ramis assured us that Murray is definitely "in," even though the two haven't communicated directly about the project. "I haven't talked to him about it," Ramis said. "I want to talk to him about it eventually. I think we just need a script, because he's the thorniest of the group."

Another open question is who will take over directing duties, since neither Ramis nor Reitman is planning on helming the picture. "I'm sure we're all hoping someone else will do it," the 64-year-old Ramis said. "It's a lot of work!"

While we await casting and directing news, Ramis was able to shoot down gossip about certain stars once thought to be attached to a third "Ghostbusters." "Here's how old the rumors are," Ramis said. "Chris Farley was one of the rumors. It was going to be Chris Farley, Ben Stiller and Chris Rock."

Whichever actors end up portraying the fresh crew of wisecracking ghost fighters will be in for a challenge. "Someone asked Seth [Rogen], and he said, 'What?' " Ramis recalled. "He said, 'That'd have to be one great f---ing script for anyone to touch that.' He's right about that."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Oh how I love MTV's awful reporting. First of all, are those two trends even really trends at all? No. And the 'original' actors would also include Ernie Hudson and Annie Potts. But really, how could they ignore Ernie Hudson?
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Ghostbusters 3 Arriving in 2011
Source: ShockTillYouDrop.com

More talk from the Ghostbusters 3 camp to put a production timeline in perspective.

Within the last year, there's been much speculation, fake fan videos that have been erroneously identified as pre-production FX and recent talk from Sigourney Weaver to keep us guessing as to where the story will take the characters next.

Harold Ramis recently spoke to Heeb and had this to say about the project:

Something's going to happen. Dan [Aykroyd] did write a spec GB3 screenplay a few years ago, but no one was motivated to pursue it. Now, 25 years after the original, there seems to be some willingness to proceed and apparently a substantial public appetite for a sequel. We'll introduce some new young Ghostbusters, and all the old guys will be in it, too. Think Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future...GB3 is progressing with plans to shoot next summer and release in 2011.

This summer might be an exciting time to live in New York City, home of the Ghostbusters, especially if the production decides to set up shop there. Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky are penning the third film.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I will bet all my marbles that Seth Rogen is in this.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

My enthusiasm for this hangs on Bill Murray's participation.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.