Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Started by MacGuffin, May 19, 2005, 07:07:27 PM

MacGuffin

Creators plan sequel for dark 'Sin City'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

CANNES - Not everyone is enamoured with Robert Rodriguez's ultra-violent movie 'Sin City,' based on the dark comics of Frank Miller, but the creators are working on a sequel and the cast of stars is keen to carry on. The film, which has earned more than $72 million at the U.S. box office alone, is in Cannes as part of the main competition, raising eyebrows among veteran festival-watchers who are used to more artistic, less commercial fare.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

That's excellent news. I'd be extremely happy to see more of Miller's stories turned into film. Yay to art and mainstream. Shake hands and dance!
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

metroshane

Where do they get off calling it mainstream?  There's absolutley nothing out there like it.  He's inventing a new media.  commercial?  Yes, that's just what middle America is waiting for...an ultra violent, cheesecake, black and white slut of a film.

I hate the people in the film world.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: metroshaneWhere do they get off calling it mainstream?  There's absolutley nothing out there like it.  He's inventing a new media.  commercial?  Yes, that's just what middle America is waiting for...an ultra violent, cheesecake, black and white slut of a film.

I thought 'commercial' and 'mainstream' were synonymous.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Raikus

Quote from: ranemaka13
Quote from: metroshaneWhere do they get off calling it mainstream?  There's absolutley nothing out there like it.  He's inventing a new media.  commercial?  Yes, that's just what middle America is waiting for...an ultra violent, cheesecake, black and white slut of a film.

I thought 'commercial' and 'mainstream' were synonymous.
Exactly.

"He brought art to the masses." How's that? It was a compliment towards Rodriguez, so unbind your doggy britches and take a walk.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

More info:

Sin City Sequel in the Works
Rodriguez reveals the next Miller book coming to screen.
Source: IGN.FilmForce

In many ways, CG has cheapened modern film. It's overused and it often replaces elements that probably would have looked better using more conventional methods. On the other hand, a stylized film that exists outside of reality can use CG work to its advantage. Sin City is the foremost example of this.

Based on Frank Miller's graphic novels and heavily steeped in sex and violence, Sin City is a visual assault on the senses. Each frame looks like a near work of art, complete with splattering blood, nude women and gritty film nourish cityscapes.

Sin City has had a terrific run at the box office, which now opens the door to adapting Miller's other books in the Sin City series. Speculation has existed since City's opening weekend of a likely sequel.

This weekend at the Cannes Film Festival, Rodriguez revealed to BBC that A Dame to Kill For would be the basis for the film and that it would feature many of the same characters from the first film. It's unclear at this point whether the film would be based on other Sin City stories as well.

Sin City is in contention for the Palme d'Or prize at this year's Cannes Film Festival.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Dame to Kill For is a good one (it brings the best character, Marv back), but it doesn't have enough material to fill an entire film without just adding unneeded shit.

I think a sequel would be a mistake anyway.

Myxo

Quote from: RegularKarateDame to Kill For is a good one (it brings the best character, Marv back), but it doesn't have enough material to fill an entire film without just adding unneeded shit.

I think a sequel would be a mistake anyway.

So, will they go with Sin City 2 or Dame to Kill For?

I like the second title.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Miller on Sin City 2
An original story makes the film a true sequel.

Little Nancy Callahan is making a return in Sin City 2. At last week's WonderCon in San Francisco, Frank Miller spoke briefly on the sequel to 2005's Sin City. Filming is expected to being in May or June, meaning that a spring 2007 release is likely.

It was already revealed that the film would adapt one of the best Sin stories, "A Dame to Kill For". That, however, won't be the only story featured in the next movie. Miller is writing a brand new story to weave throughout the film. The new tale follows Nancy Callahan after the events of "That Yellow Bastard" and shows how she was affected by Hartigan's suicide.

Several shorts are also going to be featured. Miller hinted that "Blue Eyes" and perhaps a few other shorts from the book Lost, Lonely, and Lethal could make the final cut and see near-perfect panel-to-screen translations.

Casting is still unknown, but "A Dame to Kill For" would bring back several characters from last film, including Gail, played by Rosario Dawson. Dwight, played by Clive Owen in the first film, is the star of "Dame". However, in this story (which takes place before the events of the first film), Dwight has a different face, so it's unclear if Owen would still be cast in the role. Also appearing in "Dame" and likely Sin City 2 are Miho, Manute and Marv. Yeah, Marv is back, albeit in a smaller role.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jolie in Sin City 2?
So says Rosario Dawson.

Rosario Dawson told Sci Fi Wire that Oscar winner Angelina Jolie might star in Sin City 2. Filmmaker Robert Rodriguez has postponed production on the highly anticipated sequel in order to accomodate Jolie's pregnancy.

"The film's been kind of postponed because Robert has been interested in Angelina Jolie for the lead," Dawson said. "But she's very pregnant right now. So that's putting an understandable hold on the film."

Sin City 2 will reportedly be based on Frank Miller's tales "A Dame to Kill for" and "Lost, Lonely and Lethal." Dawson will reprise her role as the ass-kicking hooker Gail.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Sin City' Characters — Even Dead Ones — Returning For Sequel
Time-jumping film will resurrect star Mickey Rourke; Jessica Alba, Clive Owen are back too.
Source: MTV

Marv died in "Sin City" — but that doesn't mean Mickey Rourke won't be back for the sequel.

Ditto for Dwight (Clive Owen), Shellie (Brittany Murphy), Nancy (Jessica Alba), Manute (Michael Clarke Duncan), Gail (Rosario Dawson) and the rest of the Old Town gang. That's because "Sin City" is the "Pulp Fiction" of comic-book adaptations — since the interlinking stories aren't linear, when it comes time for the next installment in theaters, you'll get a prequel and a sequel at the same time.

"It jumps around a bit," writer/co-director Frank Miller said, "but mostly it's one story, incorporating some short stories that weave in and out of that."

Miller, who wrote and illustrated the hard-boiled graphic-novel series the films are based on, said he is "well in progress" on the screenplay for "Sin City 2" and anticipates that he and co-director Robert Rodriguez should be shooting as early as June in Austin, Texas.

The first "Sin City" took its stories from the first, third and fourth books — "The Hard Goodbye," "The Big Fat Kill" and "That Yellow Bastard." This next one will jump back in the sequence and derive most of its story from the second book, "A Dame to Kill For." But even though it's the second book, the action is set before book one, developing Dwight's past, loves, lusts and alliances.

Before Marv sleeps with Goldie, before Detective Hartigan finds skinny little Nancy all grown up and dancing at a strip joint, Dwight has a love affair with Ava, who leaves him to marry someone wealthy. Four years later, Ava's back, claiming the marriage is no good, and asking Dwight to help her out. This being "Sin City," you know there's more to the story than that. (And that to-die-for dame? Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek and Rose McGowan have all been tipped to play the femme fatale, but a rep for the studio said there's no word on Ava yet.)

Miller is also toying with incorporating "Blue Eyes," a short story that introduces the assassin Delia. The chain of events helps set up "The Hard Goodbye" and "The Big Fat Kill" in the original film, but what about what happens next? Miller is also writing a new story that'll explore what happens to Nancy after Hartigan's suicide. "Yeah, there will be surprises, but they wouldn't be surprises if I told you, would they?" Miller said.

The stories are also going to be as graphic as the first "Sin City" film — graphic in violence as well as style, showcasing the fully digital live action that made the film one of the most faithful comic adaptations yet to hit the screen. "My drawings were up on a special monitor, where they would move the camera to match my compositions," Miller explained.

After more than 10 years of turning down offers to sell the screen rights to his work, Miller finally relented because Rodriguez demonstrated that he could re-create the comic's stark look. That's what made him sign on for a sequel, due in 2007, as well as more to follow.

"I was very, very fortunate," Miller said. "I won the lottery the first time out and got to do the movie it needed to be, a movie that knew what it was, and didn't have to go through the bureaucratic nonsense that most movies do."

So many movies are being made from graphic novels lately because "Hollywood sees us as a vital source of material," Miller said. The problem, though, is that Hollywood usually wants to tinker with the source material and make it "some vehicle with some star with a slapped-on happy ending because some focus group asked for it," he said.

And Miller, like his pulp characters, isn't about to let anyone sully his name. He's resolved not to let any of his other comics be adapted without him behind the camera. "I can't send my little baby down like Moses in the river and say goodbye to her," Miller said.

Of course, it's a little too late with "300," his graphic novel about the Battle of Thermopylae, the film version of which is being directed by Zack Snyder ("Dawn of the Dead"), because he sold the screen rights before he caught the directing bug. Miller is one of the producers, however, so he does have some say about the script, and so far, he's happy with how it's turning out.

"What I've seen of it, when I saw the set, when I saw the script, it looks like the book, it feels like it," Miller said. "It's always hard to predict these things, especially if you're not the director, but I like what I've seen."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rachel Weisz In Sin City 2
Source: Cinema Blend

Almost since the first Sin City debuted back in 2005, it's been pretty clear that Robert Rodriguez has wanted Angelina Jolie as the star of the sequel Sin City 2: A Dame To Kill For. Somehow though, Jolie just hasn't been able to fit it into her schedule. Now, after a lot of delays on the project, it looks like she may have been replaced.

A source claiming to be close to the production contacted me tonight to let us know that Angelina Jolie is out, and Rachel Weisz is in. Our source, who asked to remain anonymous, says that Rachel is in talks with Robert Rodriguez's people about taking on the role of Ava Lord, the titular "Dame to Kill For" in the original comic on which Sin City 2 is going to be based. If she gets locked in, rumor has it that Sin City 2 will finally start shooting in 2008.

Now a disclaimer. I hate anonymous sources as much as anyone else. Don't rely on them, I don't. Please take the above as nothing more than a wild and completely unsubstantiated rumor until we can find some less anonymous confirmation.

As for Rachel Weisz, Sin City 2 definitely sounds like the kind of movie she'd be interested in. In that sense the rumor works. But I have hard time picturing her as a dame to kill for. I love Rachel Weisz, she's a brilliant and beautiful actress, but she's not exactly the same type of smoking hot bombshell you'd get in Angelina Jolie. If you're looking for someone to play a woman so hot men kill for her, you look for a more smoldering beauty. Scarlett Johansson maybe.

But that doesn't mean Robert Rodriguez won't cast her anyway. We'll keep an eye out for more information on this rumor as it develops.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

cinema blend is right, she ain't a dame to kill for.

since rodriguez only cares about getting the job done on time and under budget, he might never realize this.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Miller: Sin 2 Is Ready To Go

Frank Miller, who wrote and co-directed Sin City based on his popular graphic novels, told SCI FI Wire that Sin City 2 is a go and that he hopes to be in Texas to shoot the film by late spring. Miller and Robert Rodriguez will again share directing duties on the sequel.

"The script is largely done, and now we're in that limbo zone where we're casting and making script adjustments as we go," Miller said in an interview while promoting 300, which he executive-produced and which is also based on one of his graphic novels.

Miller added that the sequel will be based on A Dame to Kill for, the second Sin City tale and a prequel to The Hard Goodbye, which was the basis of one of the first film's storylines. The sequel will also deal with "a couple of old stories and one brand-new one," Miller said. "The old ones are a couple of 'Blue Eyes' stories, and there's an 'Old Town Girls' story, and the new one features Nancy Callahan [played by Jessica Alba] in a very different, very scary role. I'm hoping we'll start in late spring. It gets pretty hot in Austin, so there might be a summer's interruption there, but both Robert and I really want to be shooting this thing as soon as possible."

Skeleton FilmWorks