NAME THIS MYSTERIOUS MOVIE

Started by Jake_82, April 24, 2003, 08:53:14 PM

Jake_82

There was a post about some Japanese horror flick on the old board that everyone said was shocking or something, the cover of the video had a woman holding a needle... sorry this is vague, but does anyone have a clue what I'm thinking of? Thanks!
your reality is at the end of your dream

MrBurgerKing

Hmm.. that's Audition.

True story, a friend of mine loaned it to me when I was on a date. He told me it's a good foreign chick flick. I thought, 'hey, maybe it will be great like My Sassy Girl.' It turned out to be on par with finding a two headed rat in the middle of your burger with it's eyes bubbling. As you bite into the head and chew on its brain, you don't realize that you have just eaten a maggot filled animal.

children with angels

It's a shame you already know it's a horror movie though, because I stumbled into it not knowing what to expect, being met first with a mild romantic comedy drama, and then greeted by... Well, those who've seen it know what I'm saying...

I saw another movie by the same director which was perhaps the most abrasive, in-your-face film I've ever seen, called Dead or Alive. Really quite silly. I like how the guy mixes his genres though...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

(kelvin)

The director is called Takashi Miike, and in my opinion, he's a genius. "Dead or Alive" may look "silly", but in fact it's a brilliant film. Just think of the opening scene...THAT was the original movie, based on the screenplay. Now think about what Miike made of it. And the final scene is really unique experience...
I know, his films are..."sick" would be the best description. Nevertheless, I have never found a director who dares to make such mixtures between arthouse style and trash. Just watch "Visitor Q". Don't watch "Ichi the Killer" if you didn't like "DOA". Don't even think of it.  :)

Ghostboy

Have you ever had sex with your daughter? Have you ever been hit in the head?

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=538

Miike is pretty awesome.

Pubrick

i think it's a mexican film. it from the early 60s and not by Bunuel or anything. it was in black and white and was sort of a western, i remember there being a shoot out at the end and the main dude goes off running across mexican desert terrain with his chick, but she falls behind and he keeps on running. the camera pulls far back and that's how it ends.

i really need to know what the title is.. i keep thinking devil sumthing, devil, evil.. it's significant to many latin directors working today so it's not just a random thing i remembered.. any ideas? evil.. dark.. evil..

u hav 2hrs max. thanksabunch.
under the paving stones.

ono

Well, I don't know the film myself, but I don't know if you know about the IMDb power search or not.  It's been really useful for me in the past.  I was able to narrow it down to 32 with the info that you gave me, though I don't know if it'll help you any.

A tiro limpio (1960)
Ahí vienen los Argumedo (1962)
Amor a balazo limpio (1961)
Amor llegó a Jalisco, El (1963)
Chacales, Los (1963)
Charro de las Calaveras, El (1965)
De hombre a hombre (1961)
Diligencia de la muerte, La (1961)
Dos rivales, Los (1965)
...aka Two Rivals, The (1965) (International: English title)
Encapuchados del infierno, Los (1961)
...aka Hooded Men From Hell, The (1961) (USA)
Enmascarado justiciero, El (1961)
Fanfarrones, Los (1960)
...aka Braggarts, The (1960) (International: English title)
Hermanos del hierro, Los (1961) 9.6/10 (7 votes)
...aka My Son, the Hero (1961) (USA)
Juan sin miedo (1961)
Ley de las pistolas, La (1960)
Martín Santos el llanero (1962)
Muerte en la feria (1962)
Pantera de Monte Escondido, La (1960)
Pistolas invencibles (1960)
Pistolocos, Los (1960)
Pueblo fantasma, El (1965)
Renegado blanco, El (1960)
Rey de la pistola, El (1962)
Robo al tren correo, El (1964)
Río de las ánimas, El (1964)
Siete de copas, El (1960)
Sombra del mano negra, La (1964)
...aka Shadow of the Black Hand (1964) (International: English title)
Tiempo de morir (1966) 7.0/10 (11 votes)
...aka Time to Die (1966) (USA)
Valientes no mueren, Los (1962)
...aka Brave Don't Die, The (1962) (International: English title)
Venganza Apache (1960)
Venganza de la sombra, La (1961)
Vivo o muerto (1960)

Criteria used:
Color info: Black and White
Countries: Mexico
Genres: Western
Year: 1960-1970

Link to the search page itself:
http://us.imdb.com/list

Enter this criteria in the search engine to get links to those films.

Maybe you can go from there.  I tried entering stuff like devil or diablo in the title, or gunfight in the keywords field, but that didn't turn up anything.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: And, I know a little Spanish if you want some translations of those titles, but I bet Vile5 would be better at that.  Or, you can use http://babelfish.altavista.com/.

Pubrick

woah, thanks dude! just as i posted it i went to power search and did the exact search, i'm currently lookin through all of them but very few hav any plot description or director bios.

i can speak spanish tho, so translation ain't a problem.

i'm thinkin Time to Die (1966) might be it, based on the blurb about the director and his significance to mexican film. also i'm now doin cross checks of films with similar filming locations. eff my feeble memory.
under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

is it EL TOPO by jodorowsky? very similar to some of Bunuel's earlier work...
...your excuses are your own...

Pubrick

nah that's not it but u reminded me that's a dope movie.

anyway, thanks everyone who tried. too late now, i'm dead.
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

do you rmemeber a movie from the 80s about some bad kids who are getting flown to like boot camp (maybe) and then either their plane gets hijacked or they hijack it??
I like to hug dogs

cine

lamas

Weird. Oh

just a shot in the dark but there was Camp Nowhere and Space Camp.

Edit: I think you are talking about Lord of the Flies.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.