Suicide Club

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, December 10, 2003, 07:57:57 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I was looking at this and pondering blind-buying it, but I don't know...

What's the low down on this flick, anyone know?  If you've seen it, give me your opinion on it please.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ghostboy

I've been meaning to get this for a while. I hear the opening scene is worth the price alone.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'll just buy it and post what I felt.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

©brad

Ghostboy

It's a Japanese movie about...well, I think the title is explanatory. Supposedly it's along the lines of Battle Royale.

©brad

say, who was it that had this idea for a script that was posted in the brainstorming thread. it was about this club of people who try to get people to commit suicides by sneaking into their houses and placing knives and stuff all around/putting on depressing music, etc. was that here, or am i thinking of something else?

i found the idea quite intriguing.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©bradsay, who was it that had this idea for a script that was posted in the brainstorming thread. it was about this club of people who try to get people to commit suicides by sneaking into their houses and placing knives and stuff all around/putting on depressing music, etc. was that here, or am i thinking of something else?

i found the idea quite intriguing.

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=611
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

oh yeah, it's all coming back now.

i guess i coulda just used the search engine. i really still am a newbie in many ways.  :(

Weak2ndAct

Well, I finally saw this.  By no means, does the movie add up or make 100% sense.  Don't see Suicide Club if you expect a tidy package and all the answers.  Despite that, it's worth checking out for the first 75 minutes alone, which has some insanely creepy and shocking stuff.  The lead actor, a detective investigating the suicides, is the same guy from 'Audition,' and he's great.  There's a couple big twists... but I won't spoil here.  The ending... well, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

I guess this movie sums up what I like/dislike about Asian cinema these days.  You never know what's going to happen next.  The movie has a great premise, great scenes, great scares, shocking moments... but it doesn't quite work in the end.  And that's okay.  The journey was completely interesting and fascininating, so I didn't mind as much finding out we were lost in the end.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Thanks, I'll look into it sometime.

Rudie Obias

it's a good movie.  everything you want in a movie.  japanese school girls committing mass suicide, a 12 year-old j-pop girl band and a very metro-sexually guy singing a song about the darkness of life.  i dig it!

it's like heathers meets the rocky horror picture show in this blender of japanese humor and mayhem!!!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

pete

it's okay, it tries to cash in on the battle royale success but it ended up cashing in more on the "Dude those Japanese people are fucked up" success.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Duck Sauce

With all the success of Battle Royale, why hasnt it been released here yet?

also, anybody ever once belong to the Pen15 club?

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Duck SauceWith all the success of Battle Royale, why hasnt it been released here yet?

because it's about grade school kids killing each other in school with guns and knives.  i still think america is senstive about that subject matter.  we don't want another columbine on our hands......  or do we?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Duck Sauce

Yeah but when money is involved Im sure there is somebody willing to ignore Americas morals