Has Pulp Fiction dated?

Started by budgie, January 20, 2003, 09:21:02 AM

budgie

Saw it a little while ago, not having seen it for a time.

I felt that yes, it had, and that it didn't seem to have the zip it once did. Just less dangerous, I suppose, and also over-stretched?

Familiarity breeding contempt, maybe. Still love the music, the scene with the adrenalin shot still works, still love Harvey Keitel and those scenes.

Cecil

i felt a little the same way when i bought the se dvd and watched it. i hadnt seen it in a couple of years.

Duck Sauce

I think its dated but hasnt lost its zip. When it came out it was so original, and now we are kind of used to it, and Tarantino rip offs. Still has it for me though .

phil marlowe

Quote from: Duck SauceI think its dated but hasnt lost its zip. When it came out it was so original, and now we are kind of used to it, and Tarantino rip offs. Still has it for me though .

I totally agree. It is with Pulp Fiction as it is with every other film that is groundbreaking and original, like The Godfather and Starwars, the "rush" it gave you will wear off. On the otherhand it will grow as a classic, and get that unique feeling of purity. Pulp Fiction is , for me, not what it was, but still fuckin enjoyable.

RegularKarate

I grew sick of the film years ago... Hated how many people held it so high and hadn't even seen Reservoir Dogs.  

I just watched it a couple months ago and fell in love with it again.  Just a great film.

Satcho9

I just watched it yesterday and it (to me) still has the "zip" it used to. Over time i guess people just became used to the film. Its a classic, 'nuff said.

picolas

in terms of date: it's dated
in terms of "zip"ing-action: i don't think so

try watching the trailer for Pulp Fiction. that is dated.

Newtron

Thecowgoooesmooo

yes the trailer is very dated... the trailer looks like shit to me... but i still can't find a movie to this day that has the realness in dialogue that pulp does so well

chris

life_boy

I like it more the more I watch it.

soixante

We are getting close to the 10th Anniversary of Pulp Fiction's premiere at Cannes, and its subsequent American release in October 1994.  Ten years is a good benchmark to see how a film holds up.  OK, so it has only been nine years, but still, Pulp Fiction is getting better with age (unlike Butch).

Let's put Pulp into perspective -- before it came out, no independent film had grossed $100 million at the domestic box office.  Think of all the Pulp Fiction ripoffs that have followed.  All of these films merely demonstrate how great the original is.

The landscape that Tarantino helped to create has changed, and it will be interesting to see how Kill Bill plays in 2003.
Music is your best entertainment value.

av8raaron

No - Pulp is one that stays in my DVD rotation.
Fresh buttered toast.

SHAFTR

I don't think so.

It gets better and better with each viewing.  I find it very refreshing.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

some of it has dated

thats why i would rather watch Jackie brown right now then pulp. Jackie has a timeless quality to it where as pulp just seems rather mid 90's right now, and even though it helped create lots of those cliches that other people later drove into the ground, it still falls into that category.

when i watch the royal with cheese scene i keep feeling overkill, because it was quoted and used to death. But yet the scene with marsalous trying to get butch to throw the fight, that feels still as fresh as it was in 94. But other stuff to me feel played out and dated, like the piercing scene feels mad mad dated, and well son of a preacher man will always now remind me of every annoying college girl in that era who used that song for their answering machine message

so in all pulp is a better overall statement, but Jackie brown is more satisfying.

so in all pulp is a better overall statement, but jackie brown is more satisfing.

pgr

Umm.... I don't think its dated. It is one of the best films ever made and I'm sure many people share my opinion. I've watched it countless times and it still seems fresh.