^^ richard brody, yeah

^^ la?

i'm going today or tomorrow and i've previously declared my goal

jenkins

plays at the academy on sunday, btw

Sleepless

Five star review prominently featured on The Guardian

EDIT: That's actually their Sundance review recycled from January
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Ghostboy

That New Yorker review was a good one to wake up to. So was the Salon piece. 78% on Rotten Tomatos - not too shabby thus far!

A bunch of the negative reviews are good too. Slant, Reverse Shot...I don't like 'em but their points are valid and well made and are the type of negative review that would make me still want to see the movie.

polkablues

I feel like the Slant review really misread Ruth's character. Like, to the extent that it makes me think they weren't really paying attention to the movie.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Tictacbk

Really rave reviews just now on KPCC (NPR station in LA).  Guy said you've got "the best debut film [he's] seen in probably 15 years!"

Excited to see this at some point this week. 

jenkins

ahhh, debutt. i should've played st. nick around town

Ghostboy

Quote from: polkablues on August 16, 2013, 02:36:43 PM
I feel like the Slant review really misread Ruth's character. Like, to the extent that it makes me think they weren't really paying attention to the movie.

I agree, and it was really surprising to me - but I was interested in the very fact that they were able to read her in that way. It made me think about the movie in a new way.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Tictacbk on August 16, 2013, 02:38:44 PM
Really rave reviews just now on KPCC (NPR station in LA).  Guy said you've got "the best debut film [he's] seen in probably 15 years!"

Whoa! That is awesome.

ST NICK was a minor enough blip on the cinematic landscape that I don't blame anyone for not knowing about it. I can't wait for it to get some sort of release in the near future though. It holds up.

Alexandro

goddamn it. these are some great reviews. all the luck in the world with the academy awards, man. we all know it's possible.

jenkins

i'd be going to see this anyway, because of course i don't want to punch my computer, but beyond that and beyond what i've read and beyond etc, st nick. st nick holds the fuck up, for sure. imo there's nothing minor, there's something great. not at all some kind of movie you'd have to deny for the rest of your life, no way

xerxes

I was going to wait until tomorrow, but all this press is so exciting that I think I'm just gonna skip my friend's birthday party and go see it tonight instead. Woohoo!

MacGuffin

In Ain't Them Bodies Saints, the Sundance award-winner that opens in theaters today, Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara play two outlaws whose 1970s crime spree ends with him in jail and her pregnant with their child. Years later, he escapes, intent on reuniting with his family, but not altogether aware of what dangers await him at home. For most of the film, the two lovers are apart, but their scenes together proved so fun and rewarding that writer/director David Lowery wrote what he hoped would be a follow-up short film, a prequel of sorts that captures their Bonnie and Clyde days. ''Casey and Rooney and I talked about it on the set, that we wanted to prolong that experience,'' says Lowery. ''But it never worked out because everyone's schedules are so complex.'' Instead, IFC Films suggested a comic book, and put him in touch with Criterion Collection artist Eric Skillman. Together with comic-book artist Matthew Southworth, they made New Tattoo, a compelling prelude to the events that occur in the film. ''I really loved these characters and I loved getting to spend a little more time with them on the page,'' says Lowery. —Jeff Labrecque

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20726041,00.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Tictacbk

You can hear the review I was talking about starting around the 16:50 mark here: http://www.scpr.org/programs/filmweek/2013/08/16/33285/filmweek-08-16-13-lee-daniels-the-butler-kick-ass/

They start saying really nice things about Ghostboy (though they insist on using his real name) around 18:40.

congrats again!