Dredd

Started by MacGuffin, August 04, 2012, 08:36:37 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: September 21, 2012

Starring: Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby, Lena Headey, Rachel Wood

Directed by: Pete Travis

Premise: In a violent, futuristic city where the police have the authority to act as judge, jury and executioner, a cop teams with a trainee to take down a gang that deals the reality-altering drug, SLO-MO.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I might hate myself for it later, but I will watch the everloving crap out of this.
My house, my rules, my coffee

polkablues

I watched the everloving crap out of this, and didn't even hate myself for it.  Is it good?  Probably not.  Is it AWESOME?  Most definitely, yes.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Quote from: polkablues on October 07, 2012, 09:08:08 PM
I watched the everloving crap out of this, and didn't even hate myself for it.  Is it good?  Probably not.  Is it AWESOME?  Most definitely, yes.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. The 3D kinda ruined it. I like the violence and some of the fancy visuals, but there's no understanding of how to heighten... why can't big budget action movies ever figure out how to heighten?

pete

what do you mean there's no heighten? didn't they keep going up the stairs?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reel

I'll tell ya who knows how to heighten. Tina Fey's husband, Jeff Richmond.

Look at this candid shot taken of them in public. See how embarrassed they are to be seen?

Jeff's like " WTF guys. A little privacy? "

Then, at an event. Look how happy they seem. Jeff's looking suave, that's because he has his 9" platform boots on.

Dredd 3D could learn a lot from him.

Pubrick

i'm with polkabutt on this. permit me to paraphrase:

I completely let go with this one and wasn't watching it like a stuck-up, heartless prick so I loved it.

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 08, 2012, 11:33:12 AM
I saw it a couple of weeks ago. The 3D kinda ruined it. I like the violence and some of the fancy visuals, but there's no understanding of how to heighten... why can't big budget action movies ever figure out how to heighten?

Seriously though, I do not get what you guys are saying, but I was moved to excitement and thought the whole idea was that the story was through the child's eyes 3D glasses which were totally awesome so it made sense in that their reality was filtered through kid-brain slo-mo drugs sometimes which i have to stress was totally awesome. The innocecontrivance while   s he was reading the narration stuff on the tacked on ending felt like a the only disappointing stylistic choice.
under the paving stones.

squints

Spoils,

Can we all agree that the scarface chick's face exploding on the concrete at the end was fucking awesome?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Pubrick, you have put so much work into that conversion that you have convinced me to like this movie more. Well done. (still no Raid: Redemption)

and yeah, Squints, that was pretty cool.

jenkins

When it was neon drenched and during other moments when I felt like Anthony Dod Mantle was in control, I loved this movie. I think mainly the beginning and the end I enjoyed very much. Sometimes during the middle I was kind of bored.

Overall I think this movie was overlooked, and I champion it alongside Red Tails and Three Stooges, if that means a thing to you.