global malnutrition and human misery will be unimaginable...

Started by molly, February 20, 2004, 02:04:37 PM

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pas

godardian

Ugh, I can guarantee I have never in my life participated in rainbow-looking anything... I'm more of a:

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Ghostboy

No one ever points out the the majority of crops grown in the US go towards feeding cattle and other livestock; if people could cut down drastically on their low grade beef consumption, these resources could be redirected and world hunger would be greatly alleviated, both now and in the future.

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyNo one ever points out the the majority of crops grown in the US go towards feeding cattle and other livestock; if people could cut down drastically on their low grade beef consumption, these resources could be redirected and world hunger would be greatly alleviated, both now and in the future.

Absolutely... there are many other reasons to become at least a quasi-vegetarian than the direct moral contradiction of the slaughterhouse... the domino effects on the environment and global economy are shocking when investigated...

Sleuth

People need to stop having kids.

Nobody wants them and nobody cares about your legacy
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

analogzombie

what needs to happen is Europe needs to stop overreacting about genetically engineered food. The EU has a ban on them, and so do most Asian nations. America produces so much food that we destroy tons of it to maintain price levels. We have the technology to feed the world, but ignorance is keeping that from happening.

I wouldn't be too worried though, this is just like those ads in the 80's about how all life on Earth would be dead by 2005 b/c of deforestation. nature always finds way to make it work, either through human initiative or something else. If the population is really going to exceed carrying capacity I am sure there will be a nice plague, war, drought or something else to thin the herd. Historically 10-20 years before a huge major war the birthrate of males jumps very high. It's nature's way of providing soldiers. When Europe was getting over-populated, bang-o, the black death. I would expect a major plague to spread through south asia any year now.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Ravi

Quote from: GhostboyNo one ever points out the the majority of crops grown in the US go towards feeding cattle and other livestock; if people could cut down drastically on their low grade beef consumption, these resources could be redirected and world hunger would be greatly alleviated, both now and in the future.

But what would Mr. Burger King do then?

Sebastian Haff

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: P2054? i'll be long gone..

That's what every generation says before the next.  When I first read the 2054 thing I initially thought the same thing, but it's not fair to dump all these problems on them...

Maybe some genocide is in order?  Rather than pushing our problems onto the next generation, why don't we just wipe out 7/8 of them all and encourage using strong contraceptives and abortions so we can reduce the chance of a population outburst again.

Hey, just a thought...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

godardian

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob
Quote from: P2054? i'll be long gone..

That's what every generation says before the next.  When I first read the 2054 thing I initially thought the same thing, but it's not fair to dump all these problems on them...

Maybe some genocide is in order?  Rather than pushing our problems onto the next generation, why don't we just wipe out 7/8 of them all and encourage using strong contraceptives and abortions so we can reduce the chance of a population outburst again.

Hey, just a thought...

That's an awfully free (read: incorrect) use of the word "genocide."

molly

the western society is dying. Here in croatia more people died than were born, for years. The major increase in population happens in Asia, and maybe in Africa.