Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

Pubrick

hedwig, are you capping movies with a camera phone? jesus christ. kubrick must be spinning in his BED.

deathbed.
under the paving stones.

hedwig

haha yeah.. and if i hadn't used my phone, bigideas still wouldn't have understood the message. :doh:

idk

Quote from: bigideas on November 24, 2007, 12:42:08 AM
idk, if you have Turner Classic Movies, search the schedule, I've seen several of Woody's films free in my own home that way.

Take the Money and Run airs today (Sat the 24th at 10:15 est).
It's his first solely directed film and it's very funny.

I picked up Sleeper in the used DVD bin for a few bucks not too long ago, and it's great as well.

Did anyone buy the Allen box sets from 2000/01?

Well thanks for the info but i missed it, i don't really care though nothing can beat Scoop

What is Hedwig talking about?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

idk

hahahahahah, whats wrong with asking questions

I was hoping you'd appreciate my Scoop praise

hedwig

i recommend staying out of this thread until you've seen some other woody allen movies.

idk

geez, i was just messing with Pubrick

you guys seem a little uptight

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: idk on November 25, 2007, 09:45:38 PM
you guys seem a little uptight

nerds are a little too serious sometimes.

tpfkabi

Quote from: idk on November 25, 2007, 08:42:27 PM
Well thanks for the info but i missed it, i don't really care though nothing can beat Scoop

The Woody that made Woody Woody is the earlier stuff.
That's why they're saying that.
I enjoyed Scoop as well, but it doesn't give you an idea of what Woody has done in the past.

It would be like saying you know the Beatles having only heard Let it Be.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 25, 2007, 09:50:01 PM

you're talking about yourself right?
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick on November 25, 2007, 10:38:16 PM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 25, 2007, 09:50:01 PM

you're talking about yourself right?

I try to take movies seriously. I notice some others take themselves a little too seriously.

hedwig

i don't know what you're talking about. this isn't a personal thing. i advised idk to check out some of woody allen's classics before he posts about woody and how Scoop compares to his other work. pretty reasonable.

anyway my favorite is Curse of the Jade Scorpion.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Hedwig on November 25, 2007, 10:47:39 PM
i don't know what you're talking about. this isn't a personal thing. i advised idk to check out some of woody allen's classics before he posts about woody and how Scoop compares to his other work. pretty reasonable.

anyway my favorite is Curse of the Jade Scorpion.

Haha, I thought his comment about uptightness was general so I gave him a general responce. I've always been against the "stupidest thing you've heard" thread so I saw uptightness as the manner that usually takes place in that thread. I'm also not trying say I'm perfect either. In context to the thread you got cute with the Eyes Wide Shut reference. It it was joking, alright, but it didn't look that way. When he made his original comment about Scoop I smiled because he did seem young, but I didn't think it was something to reply to. I liked Pubrick's first reply because it was genuine but things seemed to unwind from there.

It's good to know Woody Allen's history before commenting on his best, of course, but is Curse of the Jade Scorpion more Woody-esque than Scoop? A legitimate question because I haven't seen either but I thought Curse of the Jade Scorpion was a standard project for him as well.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 25, 2007, 10:58:28 PM
In context to the thread you got cute with the Eyes Wide Shut reference. It it was joking, alright, but it didn't look that way. When he made his original comment about Scoop I smiled because he did seem young, but I didn't think it was something to reply to. I liked Pubrick's first reply because it was genuine but things seemed to unwind from there.

you don't realise it but you're talking about two different ppl there. hedwig's EWS reference was a joke aimed at bigideas, the joke had one level, he asks a lot of questions. no one got it. then i explained it by linking to he moment where bigideas finally stopped asking a question in every single post. but u know, i was just explaining the joke that no one got, like i'm doing now. i wasn't making any point. just like:

Haha, I thought his comment about uptightness was general so I gave him a general responce. I've always been against the "stupidest thing you've heard" thread so I saw uptightness as the manner that usually takes place in that thread.

i also wasn't making any point with that link. it also was a joke response to idk repeating how much he loves Scoop, it was an exaggerated reaction to his own exaggerated statement that Scoop is all he never needs to see. then HE either didn't get it or thought i was uptight, cos he says "i thought you'd appreciate my scoop praise". appreciate is too strong a word, cos it wasn't a very good joke, but i did acknowledge it and it went over everyone's head. just like:

It's good to know Woody Allen's history before commenting on his best, of course, but is Curse of the Jade Scorpion more Woody-esque than Scoop? A legitimate question because I haven't seen either but I thought Curse of the Jade Scorpion was a standard project for him as well.

another joke you didn't get. the gag here is that after all this talk of making (light) fun of idk cos we've seen actual woody allen films, hedwig makes the hilarious (FAKE) confession that Curse of the Jade Scorpion is his favourite. the joke is what you half-guessed, the movie is mediocre at best and the irony is the nonchalant way he admits it.. it's faux self-effacing hypocrisy with a subtle delivery which like many times in the past, has gone way over your and ( as the last page has shown) many ppl's heads.

so to draw further conclusions from this very revelatory series of posts.. the ultimate divide is not "those who take themselves too seriously" and those who don't. no, cos the flaw in that is you seem to have placed yourself in the latter, and that cannot be so because you couldn't identify that no one else was taking themselves seriously either. a conundrum!

the solution is a new dichotomy: the real division in any group of ppl is between those who get the joke, and those who don't. the schism is mitigated by a patient explanation from the former, and a recognition of misunderstanding from the latter.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Duly served. Do I need to keep making dumb comments to inspire such long thoughts by you? I can only imagine the possibilities of it applied to a film review.

I think a few years ago my original comment would have been laced with fire and brimstone and defended until the death, but now it's dumb ignorance. I'm happy to jump ship and admit stupidity.

I still revolt against "The Stupidest Thing You've Heard" thread :salute: