Fernando Meirelles

Started by Spike, February 07, 2004, 09:55:07 AM

rustinglass

Just saw on TV that his next film will be an adaptation of josé saramago's novel "ensaio sobre a cegueira" ("blindness", in english).

I don't really know what I feel about this, I like the book, though not a great fan... but I bet he will do wonders with the film.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

modage

a little more info...

Fernando Meirelles to Direct Blindness
Source: Variety September 13, 2006

Fernando Meirelles (The Constant Gardener, City of God) is returning to Brazil to direct Blindness, an English-language film based on the 1995 novel by Portuguese Nobel Prize winner Jose Saramago.

The book is a philosophical thriller about an epidemic of blindness that sweeps through an unnamed contemporary city and pushes society to the brink of breakdown.

The $25 million project is being set up as a Brazilian/Canadian co-production. It will shoot next summer in Sao Paolo, Meirelles' hometown, and Toronto.

The script is by Don McKellar, the Canadian writer-director-actor. McKellar also will play a supporting role in the movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

wow i just read this and had a test on it today. 

i liked it fine, and it certainly can be adapted into something greater, so i'm in.

A Matter Of Chance

I saw one of his earlier movies this summer, 'Domesticas.' I highly recommend it.

rustinglass

It was adapted to theatre before, i didn't see it, but people who did say the play sucked.

All day I was remembering moments of the novel, and I get more and more excited about this film!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

polkablues

Quote from: modage on September 13, 2006, 05:05:22 PM
The script is by Don McKellar, the Canadian writer-director-actor. McKellar also will play a supporting role in the movie.

That's good news.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Meirelles pic has eye on talent
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Daniel Craig is in talks and Julianne Moore is in negotiations to star in the Fernando Meirelles-helmed drama "Blindness" for Focus Features International.

Adapted by Don McKellar from Nobel Prize winner Jose Saramago's acclaimed novel, the story chronicles an epidemic of blindness that sweeps through an unnamed contemporary city and pushes society to the brink of breakdown.

Potboiler Prods., Rhombus Media, Bee Vine Pictures and Meirelles' shingle 02 Filmes are producing. Focus is handling foreign sales for the film, which does not yet have a U.S. distribution deal.

Niv Fichman, Simon Channing-Williams and Gail Egan are producing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Daniel Craig is in talks and Julianne Moore is in negotiations to star in the Fernando Meirelles helmed drama "Blindness" for Focus Features International says The Hollywood Reporter.

Adapted by Don McKellar from Nobel Prize winner Jose Saramago's acclaimed novel, the story chronicles an epidemic of blindness that sweeps through an unnamed contemporary city and pushes society to the brink of breakdown.

Focus is handling foreign sales for the film, which does not yet have a U.S. distribution deal.

Excellent. Meirelles contines to develop into one of the best filmmakers going today and he gets two actors I really like. Moore has always been a favorite, but her choice of roles lately have been underwhelming and Craig is my boy. The best Bond and a legitimate actor.

Pubrick

did you forget how to quote?
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

No. My original post was a topic thread in the Grapevine forum. I didn't see that Mac already posted the same information here. Admins just moved it here.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Sounds like he wants to pull a Cuaron. It's even got Julianne Moore in it.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Meirelles takes a crack at 'Love'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

CANNES -- Brazilian director Fernando Meirelles will switch gears after wrapping the dark drama "Blindness," by directing a romantic comedy based on the novel "Love's Labors Lost" by Brazilian screenplay writer Jorge Furtado.

Moving between Brazil, London, Denmark and New York, "Love's Labors Lost" is a very loose adaptation of Shakespeare's comedy and follows the lives and romantic entanglements of a group of international students. Meirelles' shingle O2 Filmes will produce with Furtado adapting his novel for the screen.

Furtado's many credits including an episode for 02 Filmes-produced Brazilian TV series "City of Men."

Meirelles plans to begin shooting "Love's Labors Lost" by the end of 2009.

"After I do 'Blindness,' which is a very dark story, I'll really need to do a comedy," Meirelles said in an interview. "I like comedy a lot and I have done some for Brazilian television, but somehow my films like 'City of God' and 'The Constant Gardner' are all these very dark subjects. I should probably talk to my psychologist about that."

Meirelles is wearing several hats at this year's Cannes.

He is finalizing casting on "Blindness," meeting with actors to take on the lead role of a doctor who is the only man who can see in a village where everyone else is suddenly struck blind. Daniel Craig was in talks to take the role but is no longer attached.

Meirelles is also acting as a co-producer on the Un Certain Regard title "El Bano Del Papa," which Bavaria Film International is selling at Cannes. The film, the directorial debut of "City of God" cinematographer Enrique Fernandez, premieres on Monday.

"It's a wonderful, true story of the Pope's visit to a small town on the Uruguayan/Brazilian border," Meirelles said. "They are expecting 80,000 Brazilians to come and one man, to make money, invests all he has to try to build a toilet to rent out to the tourists. It's funny but also very touching."

If all that weren't enough, Meirelles is also prepping "Adrift," the first project to be made under the co-development/production deal O2 Filmes has with Focus Features and Universal. Heitor Dahlia, whose "Drained" premiered at Sundance this year, will direct the story of a young girl who discovers her father is having an affair.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 20, 2007, 08:03:01 PM
Meirelles is wearing several hats at this year's Cannes.

the effects of global warming are becoming harder and harder to ignore.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

'Blindness' in Ruffalo's sight
Actor to star with Moore in Meirelles film
Source: Variety

Director Fernando Meirelles has set his sights on Mark Ruffalo for "Blindness."

Ruffalo will star with Julianne Moore in an adaptation of the Jose Saramago novel about an outbreak of blindness that sweeps an unidentified town. Shooting begins this summer in Sao Paolo, Brazil. Focus Features is selling international rights.

Ruffalo will play a doctor who loses his sight along with everyone else in town, except the doc's wife. Don McKellar wrote the script, and Meirelles' 02 Filmes will produce. Meirelles most recently directed "The Constant Gardener" and "City of God."

Ruffalo, last seen in "Zodiac," recently completed the Terry George-directed "Reservation Road," the Spike Jonze-helmed "Where the Wild Things Are" and the Ryan Johnson-directed "Brothers Bloom."

Skeleton FilmWorks