Optimism as a revolutionary act.

Started by children with angels, March 05, 2003, 10:23:25 AM

Him

what's wrong with cliches? i love 'em!  :wink:

anyhoo, you should know what i'm going to say about abstract film-making. by definition, it doesn't meet the first of my two pre-set conditions for films...

although it would be exempt from the perfect form theory, because there's just no way you could apply it.

look at the way critics review films - they place an absolute premium on entertainment (or at least how enthralled they are by the film). i'm not denying the film's right to exist, but just because one person loved, say, 8mm with an unhealthy passion, this does not make 8mm as good as E.T.

thus, abstract films are, i think by definition, always going to be second place to conventional film-making.

i'm not even sure ytou could describe it as film in the same way that i-spy is a film. it's probably a different kind of art. a "moving picture" maybe...

i've never been a big fan of abstract art.

Cecil

Quote from: The Walking Clichewhat's wrong with cliches? i love 'em!  :wink:

anyhoo, you should know what i'm going to say about abstract film-making. by definition, it doesn't meet the first of my two pre-set conditions for films...

although it would be exempt from the perfect form theory, because there's just no way you could apply it.

look at the way critics review films - they place an absolute premium on entertainment (or at least how enthralled they are by the film). i'm not denying the film's right to exist, but just because one person loved, say, 8mm with an unhealthy passion, this does not make 8mm as good as E.T.

thus, abstract films are, i think by definition, always going to be second place to conventional film-making.

i'm not even sure ytou could describe it as film in the same way that i-spy is a film. it's probably a different kind of art. a "moving picture" maybe...

i've never been a big fan of abstract art.

well. i guess thats that.

Julke

I agree that people who match more films recognize the clichés, but someone who knows the clichés for what they are and actually likes them shouldn't be called ignorant.  

But I agree that people who've seen more older films and films other than mainstream can tell better than some other, but once again, it's a matter of choice.  We chose to get involved and learn more about our passion, these other people didn't and that's why studios keep making mainstream movies, because it has a large audience.  I don't think studios should sotp making mainstream films, what do I care about them, I just don't pay to see them, but I agree that they should make more fresher films as you put it.  The problem is in the proportion.  Though in the end, I assume that people would benefit from seeing other types of films.  It's all about being open minded.  I've been studying film for a long time now and I still find some blockbusters good and interesting.  And who can blame me for that.

Cecil

i just found this quote from sean penn: "movies are too important to be considered only as entertainment. If you want to be entertained, buy an eight-ball and a hooker."

ProgWRX

so i guess he forgot all about Spicoli ?  :P
-Carlos

Cecil

man, im so sick of this

Quote from: cecil b. dementedmovies are too important to be considered only as entertainment

ONLY

ONLY!!!!!

OOOOOOOOONLY!!!!!

ProgWRX

too much caffeine?

i was merely commenting on the latter part of his quote, rather than that.
-Carlos

Cecil

hm.

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi really really really really really HATE coffee. maybe thats whats wrong with me.

Quote from: ProgWRX
i was merely commenting on the latter part of his quote, rather than that.

hm

Him

sean penn is such a pretentious, hypocritical shit. i mean, he was in friends for chrissake! and that short film he made for the 9/11 short film compendium stank.

ProgWRX

The phrase is also used in Jerry Maguire, by Dorothy..

QuoteDOROTHY
                       I loved your memo, by the way.

He stops.  Turns.  She flashes the well-thumbed copy in her
             purse. Jerry takes a step closer, interested and flattered.

JERRY
                       Thanks... actually, it was just a
                       "Mission Statement."

Ray has taken Jerry's free hand, and begun swinging on him.

DOROTHY
                       I think in this age, optimism like
                       that... it's a revolutionary act.

JERRY
                              (eager for feedback)
                       You think so?

DOROTHY
                       Oh tsht. Yes.

JERRY
                       I appreciate that, because some of
                       that stuff... you know, it was two
                       in the morning and...

8)
-Carlos

Cecil

i think when i first saw jerry maguire and heard that line, i thought he was being sarcastic.

ProgWRX

you mean Cameron as a writer, when he wrote that dialogue?
-Carlos

children with angels

I'm certain that wasn't intended to be ironic. There's a vein of self-depreciating humour related to idealism running through the movie in general, granted, but there's a big difference between acknowledging the perhaps ridiculous optimism of your ambitions and mocking them.

I'm a little embarassed I didn't remember that line from Maguire - considering I started the thread. But the fact that it's recurred backs up the point that - however cynical one part of him, or others, may feel - he truly means it...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

cine

Does anybody here think they can link what Crowe truly means to his autobiographical "Almost Famous"?