Takeshi Kitano

Started by (kelvin), April 14, 2003, 07:25:44 AM

(kelvin)

I first saw his chef-d'oeuvre "Hana-Bi" and at first I couldn't believe that someone dared to mix aching beauty and rough violence in such a deeply honest and intimate film. Since then, I am a great admirer of this truly unique artist, filmmaker, painter, singer, writer, and comedian. (although I do not appreciate so much his songs and comedy shows...very weird and very japanese...). I would also recommend "Sonatine", which is great as well.

budgie

Quote from: Pubrickgood for u buttercup

may have misquoted by the absence of a comma

Pubrick

Quote from: budgiemay have misquoted by the absence of a comma
and a kiss.
under the paving stones.

budgie

Quote from: P
Quote from: budgiemay have misquoted by the absence of a comma
and a kiss.

My flesh is weak.

Duck Sauce

I saw Hana-Bi a long long time ago and it was pretty interesting, whats Sonatine about?

(kelvin)

Sonatine is about some tired yakuzas that try to escape their meaningless lives on a far-away beach, kidding and playing childish games. Amazing beauty, harmony, violence and pitch-dark humour describe this film pretty good. Enjoy it. :)

Pwaybloe

Quote from: chriskelvinSonatine is about some tired yakuzas that try to escape their meaningless lives on a far-away beach, kidding and playing childish games. Amazing beauty, harmony, violence and pitch-dark humour describe this film pretty good. Enjoy it. :)

Yeah, I really liked that movie... up until it added on the John Woo ending.  

But, the gangsters hanging out and playing games was perfect.

(kelvin)

Hmm...I don't think that the film had a "John Woo ending"...the violence at the end was the only plausible consequence to their meaningless existence. Woo would have presented a one-man-army-Chow Yun Fat dancing a final bullet ballet against all the evil guys. Kitano's violence is much more rough and sharp, it's not aesthetic, just cold-blooded and calculated. His anti-heroes are nihilists by definition. They just kill until they are killed themselves. The yakuzas in the film tried to escape this logic, unlike the Hong Kong-gangsters who are all driven by a certain desire (they belong to the more "conservative" mobsters :) ).

xerxes

hana-bi was really amazing... i remember not liking sonatine as much though

Cecil

brother is amazing. i didnt find violent cop to be THAT good. it was pretty good, but not as good as the rest

(kelvin)

Has anyone seen Dolls? Since I saw it, Kitano resides for me at the sides of Kubrick and Welles. I really think he is the best filmmaker alive, although he paradoxically knows hardly anything (as far as I know) about film history in general. That is why he makes films like there had never been a century of cinema before.
Just saw the trailer for his new movie Zatoichi...a samurai film...

rustinglass

His first film, Violent Cop, is very good.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

©brad

u guys and ur silly directors!

(kelvin)

Quote from: ©bradu guys and ur silly directors!

Well, that is a contribution...
no , seriously, anyone who hasn't seen Dolls or Hana-Bi has missed an opportunity to reconsider the art of filmmaking. Kitano is to cinema what Nietzsche was to philosophy, I would say: the guy with the hammer...

(kelvin)

Quote from: rustinglassHis first film, Violent Cop, is very good.

It is quite interesting to see how Kitano develops his style. An even better example for this is Jugatsu.