The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

hedwig

this is my current There Will Be Blood/The New World/The Fountain/INLAND EMPIRE/WALL·E/Synecdoche, NY -- the one movie I WANT SO BADLY that it makes me not care about anything else. :|

New Feeling

Our picture is a cosmic epic, a hymn to life.

We trace the evolution of an eleven-year-old boy in the Midwest, Jack, one of three brothers. At first all seems marvelous to the child. He sees as his mother does, with the eyes of his soul. She represents the way of love and mercy, where the father tries to teach his son the world's way, of putting oneself first. Each parent contends for his allegiance, and Jack must reconcile their claims. The picture darkens as he has his first glimpses of sickness, suffering and death. The world, once a thing of glory, becomes a labyrinth.

Framing this story is that of adult Jack, a lost soul in a modern world, seeking to discover amid the changing scenes of time that which does not change: the eternal scheme of which we are a part. When he sees all that has gone into our world's preparation, each thing appears a miracle — precious, incomparable. Jack, with his new understanding, is able to forgive his father and take his first steps on the path of life.

The story ends in hope, acknowledging the beauty and joy in all things, in the everyday and above all in the family -- our first school -- the only place that most of us learn the truth about the world and ourselves, or discover life's single most important lesson, of unselfish love.

indeed

private witt

I hope Malick makes another masterpiece with all natural light again. 
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

Fernando

yep, this is my most anticipated film this year.

damn brad pitt is on a fucking roll in his last 4 choices:

coens
fincher
malick
tarantino

Bethie

my son's name is gong to be terrence malick, eff the fathers say
who likes movies anyway

Xx

modage

SPOILERS!

"We're just starting work on a project for Terrence Malick, animating dinosaurs, the film is The Tree of Life, starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. It'll be showing in IMAX -- so the dinosaurs will actually be life size -- and the shots of the creatures will be long and lingering." -- from an Empire magazine interview with VFX artist Mike Fink that some sources claim to have read but which can't be located by the mag's search engine.

I over-wrote a very long piece about Malick in '91 that was called Malick Aforethought. I described an ambitious film that Malick wanted to film in the wake of the 1978 release of Days of Heaven, called Q. (A title later appropriated by Larry Cohen when he made Q, The Winged Serpent .) There was a passage about a dinosaur sleeping and dreaming in a sea of magma -- I remember that much. The story spanned millenia. We all know there's a present day portion in which Pitt (I think) plays Penn's dad in flashbacks. I realize this sounds a little vague.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2009/03/pitt_penn_dinos.php
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

SiliasRuby

Whoa is right. After reading that, this trumps my anticipation for everything else coming out this year. Just, wow, man. Wow.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

john

Yeah, no shit.

Before this, I hadn't read anything about this film other than it was by Malick and Penn was in it. That was, and is, more than enough for me. This, however, just gave my anticipation for this film a good, hard kick in the ass. Can't wait.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

modage

AICN Exclusive: You Now Have 2001 More Reasons To Be Excited For Malick's THE TREE OF LIFE!
Source: AICN

SOME SPOILERS!

Ever since running that TREE OF LIFE story last night (most of which was essentially purloined from Jeffrey Wells's Hollywood Elsewhere), I've been receiving emails from people who've "heard things" about what Terrence Malick is up to in Austin, Texas. I'm still trying to clarify/verify some of these tips, but the scoop that hit my inbox a few minutes ago is so big, it deserves its own story.

Visual f/x legend Douglas Trumbull is working on THE TREE OF LIFE.

In what capacity? Is he assisting Mike Fink on the dinosaur footage? I don't know just yet. But he has been seen knocking around Austin with Malick's crew, and I can confirm that he has been shooting footage of some sort fairly recently. Personally, I hope he's involved with the NASA-shot sequences that will allegedly be included in the IMAX movie.

And when I say "IMAX movie", I mean a whole second movie. That's right, we'll be getting two new Malick movies in the next year or so: the first is THE TREE OF LIFE (which one source tells me is "massive"); the other will be an "IMAX-only" feature depicting the birth and death of the universe. It's important to note that these films are not narratively connected; to the best of my knowledge, they're thematically complementary pieces. Hopefully, I'll be able to elaborate on this by the end of the week (though I'd kinda like to stay a little vague on the details if only to preserve the air of mystery that's surrounding this production).

But Douglas Trumbull, the visual f/x pioneer who collaborated with Stanley Kubrick on 2001 and Steven Spielberg on CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, will be receiving his first feature credit since Ridley Scott's BLADE RUNNER. On a Terrence Malick film. It don't get any cooler than that.

Stefen

haha, it's like a fucking dream, man.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Fernando

Quote from: Stefen on March 02, 2009, 10:19:09 PM
haha, it's like a fucking dream, man.

No shit, im already deep into it, and Malick on IMAX :infinite-drool:

Quote from: Pubrick on June 12, 2005, 05:49:21 AM
this'll be beyond brilliant. i'm beginning to think that mallick was just waiting for kubrick to die so he could take over being The One. there just couldn't be two.

Malick will rule this decade century...