The Snowman

Started by wilder, July 19, 2017, 04:38:29 PM

wilder

Haha?

When an elite crime squad's lead detective investigates the disappearance of a victim on the first snow of winter, he fears an elusive serial killer may be active again.  With the help of a brilliant recruit, the cop must connect decades-old cold cases to the brutal new one if he hopes to outwit this unthinkable evil before the next snowfall.

Directed by Tomas Afredson (Let the Right One In, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)
Starring Michael Fassbender, Rebecca Ferguson, J.K. Simmons, Toby Jones, Jakob Oftebro, Chloƫ Sevigny, and Val Kilmer
Release Date - October 20, 2017

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

If this didn't have the people involved that it does, I would think this looks terrible.

Lottery

Not the most promising trailer. I really hope we didn't have to wait 6 years for Tomas Alfredson to not release something brilliant.

It seems used to be very prolific in his TV movie days. I would have thought TTSS would have really gotten his career going internationally. Or at least given him the opportunity to do the sequel for TGwtDT or something.

Quote from: RegularKarate on July 21, 2017, 10:04:32 AM
If this didn't have the people involved that it does, I would think this looks terrible.
But yeah, kinda this.

Drenk

Fassbender really seems to act in a movie where a snowman is a serial killer.
Ascension.

lewissimo

does anyone know the name of the track/song that is playing in sylvia otturson's house and later in harry's flat when the workman is dancing please ?

BB

Any of y'all actually see this? It truly is astonishing. Bad in a way I've only seen in student films. Have to believe it's the product of meddlesome, incompetent producers.

Fernando

I did, it was beyond bad, watched it despite the bad reviews thinking how bad can it be? It has a good director, good cast, etc. and boy did the reviews fell short.

If you haven't seen this do yourself a favor and don't.

polkablues

Well now I have to watch it.

polkablues

Watched this today. It was bad, sure, but not nearly as bad as it could or should have been. Routinely bad, not memorably bad. And frankly, the line between this and something like Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is razor thin. Cork up a few leaky plot holes, tell JK Simmons not to do whatever accent he thought he was doing, spend more than 50 bucks and a long weekend on the VFX, and you have a perfectly serviceable crime flick that probably turns into a franchise.

Alethia

One of the Joker producers (and Scorsese's right hand lady as of late) also produced this, so I feel sort of personally obligated to endure it.

BB

Quote from: polkablues on December 15, 2018, 04:39:05 PM
It was bad, sure, but not nearly as bad as it could or should have been. Routinely bad, not memorably bad.

Oh man, totally disagree. I found it bad in a special way. As though all these talented people got together with a bunch of money to tell a story so dumb they forgot how to make movies in the process. Much more than a few plot holes away from a Dragon Tattoo. It's almost completely incoherent. Try recapping the plot in your head. There's no way.

It's not fun bad, just broken and depressing, even though the hero's name is Harry Hole. A mosaic of bizarre and improbably bad decisions by people who should know better. To me, a fascinating disaster. I can't recall a studio film like this in recent memory.

samsong

the "spiritual sequel" to The Counselor, but instead of cormac mccarthy trolling universal, we get the most catastrophic misappropriation of hollywood funds in recent memory, edited my thelma schoonmaker to boot.  bad film as performance art.  i too found value in its shittyness.  one of my favorite moviegoing experiences of 2017 (thank you moviepass). 

ElPandaRoyal

Well, HUGE SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING, I GUESS:

I loved the fact that the dude's name is Harry Hole and he's saved in the end because the bad guy literally falls into a hole in the ice - top THAT, writers everywhere. That's the only thing that I remember from the movie. That and the fact that Val Kilmer's voice seemed dubbed.
Si

polkablues

I COMPLETELY BLOCKED OUT VAL KILMER'S ROLE IN THIS MOVIE FROM MY BRAIN.

Holy shit, yeah. Apparently he was recovering from tongue cancer or something, which rendered his voice unintelligible, so obviously the solution was to very badly dub over his dialogue with a different actor. Also, his entire character had no place in the story and could have been cut right out without it even being noticeable that anything was missing.

Okay, I'm on board, you guys. This movie was horseshit.