Remake Remake Fucking Remake

Started by modage, March 05, 2005, 10:02:37 AM

MacGuffin

'Yakuza' redo on the map for Warner Bros.

Billy Gerber, hot off the success of "The Dukes of Hazzard," is remaking the 1975 film "The Yakuza" for Warner Bros. Pictures. It will be written by Oliver Butcher and Stephen Cornwell.

"Yakuza" was directed and produced by Sydney Pollack and starred Robert Mitchum as a man who returns to Japan after a lengthy absence to rescue a friend's kidnapped daughter, ensuing in samurai swords slashing and guns blazing. It was written by Paul Schrader and Robert Towne. Leonard Schrader wrote the story.

The new version, which the studio is envisioning as a two-hander, will be set in contemporary times and also will reflect a more multiethnic Japan.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rififi Heist Remake En Route
Al Pacino will star in the caper.

Over 50 years since its original release, the French film Rififi remains a classic of the heist genre. Naturally, it was only a matter of time before Hollywood decided up one-up it, and American filmmaking is on a bit of a caper streak thanks to hits like The Italian Job and Ocean's Eleven.

Variety reports that Al Pacino will have a leading role in the new Rififi. Harold Becker, who previously worked with Pacino in City Hall and Sea of Love, will be directing the remake.

Rififi is the story of a career thief who returns to crime after leaving prison and discovering his wife has left him. The movie was famous for a 30-minute heist sequence without a word of dialogue.

There's no suggestion yet as to when Rififi will go into production, nor whether it will keep the original name.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

killafilm

I'd be more into the remake if it had a French director attached.  One who has left France and settled in America.  Or even get Polanski to direct it and continue the streak of people leaving the states and making Rififi.

w/o horse

With Don't Look Now and Rififi getting remade it's pretty clear that nothing is safe anymore.  I've heard that Universal in talking with David Lowery about remaking his catalogue.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

MacGuffin

Trio to remake van Gogh

TORONTO -- Steve Buscemi, Stanley Tucci and Bob Balaban have signed on to direct U.S. remakes of three films by the late Dutch director Theo van Gogh. Van Gogh was murdered in November in Amsterdam by Islamic radical Mohammed Bouyeri, who confessed to the slaying and was jailed for life. Van Gogh's murder followed a televised airing of his short film "Submission," which portrayed violence against women in Islamic societies. Van Gogh's final feature "06/05: The Sixth of May" has its North American premiere Thursday at the Toronto International Film Festival. As a tribute to the filmmaker, the three U.S. actor-directors have agreed to helm remakes of three of his films -- "06," the 1994 Dutch foreign-language Academy Award submission; "Blind Date" and "Interview."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Why don't they just release the original films?

MacGuffin

Farrow Gets a Bad 'Omen'

Mia Farrow is set to return to classic horror almost 40 years after she starred in Rosemary's Baby, following her decision to sign on to star in The Omen remake. Hannah and Her Sisters star Farrow will play sinister nanny Mrs. Blaylock in the project, which also stars Liev Shreiber and Julia Stiles as parents who adopt the devil's spawn when their own child is stillborn. According to website Moviehole.net, John Moore will direct the remake of the 1976 horror classic.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Eye 2 Redo
Hollywood remake of Hong Kong horror sequel.

The Hong Kong horror film The Eye 2 is getting the Americanized treatment. Variety scoops that Gold Circle Films and Vertigo Entertainment are mounting a new version of the flick to be titled In Utero.  

Like the original, the movie will tell the story of a pregnant woman who has a near death experience and is left with the disturbing ability to seeing spirits of the dead.  Newbie scribe Todd Stein will reportedly write the script for the film.

The first movie in the Eye series is also being redone by Vertigo and Paramount Pictures. Similarly, it tells the story of a blind woman who undergoes a cornea transplant and begins seeing ghosts and having supernatural premonitions. The Ring Two director Hideo Nakata may be attached to direct that film.

No director has come onboard In Utero. It appears that the two remakes will be developed independently of each other.

The original Hong Kong version, by Peter Chan, has emerged as a popular franchise with a third film in the series currently in the works.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Eisner helms 'Lagoon' redo for Uni, Ross
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Breck Eisner has been tapped to direct Universal Pictures' remake of "Creature From the Black Lagoon." Gary Ross, whose father, Arthur Ross, was a writer on the 1954 original, is producing via his Larger Than Life banner.

Part of Universal's rich legacy of black-and-white monster movies, the original "Lagoon" followed a scientific expedition searching for fossils in the Amazon that discovers a prehistoric creature able to breathe underwater. The creature, named Gill-Man, terrorizes the group and falls in love with the fiancee of a member of the expedition. The studio began developing updates of its creature features after the success of 1999's "The Mummy."

Ross wrote the current draft of the screenplay. Tedi Safarian also wrote a draft.

Eisner, son of Michael Eisner, met Ross at a dinner party thrown by William H. Macy. After some conversations, Ross sent Eisner the script to "Lagoon," and he wanted in.

"I've always been a fan of the original, but for this I would love to just update and modernize the film," Eisner said in an interview. "We see it as an aggressive sci-fi horror film in the vein an 'Alien' or like John Carpenter's 'The Thing.' We want to elevate the source material."

The studio plans to update the look and the technique of shooting and use a combination of CGI and some practical effects for the monster. Designing the creature is under way.

The studio is planning on a summer shoot in the U.S. as well as Central or South America.

Universal Pictures president of production Donna Langley and vp production Jeff Kirschenbaum are overseeing the project for the studio.

Eisner made his feature film directorial debut this year with "Sahara."

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Quote from: MacGuffinEisner helms 'Lagoon' redo for Uni, Ross

when i first read this i was hoping for a remake of the Blue Lagoon starring Ally Sheedy and Kirk Cameron...
a weird fantasy of mine...one of the veggie tales characters is mixed in there too but that's different story
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

hedwig

Hmm, I guess I'll need to check out Eisner's Sahara now. I'm a fan of the original "Creature from the Black Lagoon"; one of the greatest monster films of all time, I'd say. I'm generally annoyed by remakes (for the same reasons most of us are.) This is one whose release date I'll look forward to and dread simultaneously.

Ravi

Quote from: squints

when i first read this i was hoping for a remake of the Blue Lagoon starring Ally Sheedy and Kirk Cameron...
a weird fantasy of mine...one of the veggie tales characters is mixed in there too but that's different story

I thought it was a remake of Lagaan.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: squints

I thought it was a remake of Lagaan.

I carry a very close personal attatchment to Lagaan, if anyone were to remake it would be .  . . terrible.

MacGuffin

Warner Bros. dusting off 'Creepshow' for remake

"Creepshow," the 1982 horror anthology movie written by Stephen King and directed by George A. Romero, is getting the remake treatment from Warner Bros. Pictures.

Although in the original anthology the stories -- which were written in the 1950s EC Comics style -- were unconnected, the plan is to structure the new movie a la "Go," where stories will have linking characters and situations. A screenwriter has not yet been chosen for the project.

The original spawned two sequels, and the studio is viewing the remake as a way to kick-start a franchise.

"Creepshow" finds itself in the hands of production companies with well-established horror credits: Vertigo Entertainment and OZ LA, which produced both the original versions and English-language remakes of "The Ring" "The Grudge" and "Dark Water." James Dudelson, the original rights holder, also will serve as a producer on the new version.

Skeleton FilmWorks

analogzombie

Unless the vignettes in the enw CREEPSHOW are the same as before Iw ouldn't exactly consider it a remake. I'm all for an ongoing horror anthology franchise, could be really cool.

But isn't Mick Garris (or whatever his name is) already doing something close to this by getting every horror master to write and direct a one hour short?
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."