Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom Of The Opera

Started by MacGuffin, August 29, 2004, 06:53:34 PM

MacGuffin

Release Date: December 3rd, 2004 (limited release); expands wide at a later date.

Cast: Gerard Butler (Erik the Phantom), Emmy Rossum (Christine), Alan Cumming, Minnie Driver (Carlotta), Patrick Wilson (Raoul, Vicomte de Chagny).

Director: Joel Schumacher (Tigerland, A Time to Kill, Batman & Robin, Phone Booth, Veronica Guerin)

Screenwriter: Joel Schumacher (Flawless, The Wiz, D.C. Cab, Car Wash, Sparkle) and Andrew Lloyd Webber

Based Upon: The Broadway play written by Andrew Lloyd Webber (with lyrics by Charles Hart and Richard Stilgoe), which has grossed over $3 billion since its debut in 1987, and which was originally based upon the novel by Gaston Leroux.

Premise: This romantic musical epic is about a mysterious masked figure, Erik (Butler), who roams the undergrounds of 19th century Paris, centering his activity around (or under) the Opera Populaire, where he tutors a beautiful young soprano, Christine (Rossum), who goes on to upstage the city's most famous opera singer, Carlotta (Driver). The Phantom thinks he's found love, until Christine's childhood boyfriend, Vicomte de Chagny (Wilson) shows up... (Cumming plays an opera house owner.)

Trailer here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

minnie driver is in this. that's funny.

i had a chorus teacher in elementary school who used to love this show. he was a big fat guy who made us listen to the soundtrack and read through the show. he used to get real pissy at us when we were loud. that's the word for it is pissy... yeah...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Find Your Magali

I just saw the U.S. Tour version of this in Baltimore. Much smaller scale than Broadway, but still a wonderful, powerful musical. ... I'm very much looking forward to the movie. It should have been a no-brainer to do this on film years ago....

Thrindle

I don't know how "no brainer" this one actually is... I recall it being done before with the chick from Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman (know the face, name escapes me).  It was done all 80's rockish and was awful.

This piece has been raped so many times.  I just hope that the spirit of the Phantom (which is amazing to see as live theatre) is not butchered.
Classic.

matt35mm

I was excited until I read "A Film By Joel Schumacher."

bonanzataz

falling down was pretty awesome. and i like the client and a time to kill also. but i don't like musical theatre. i think i'm going to skip this one.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Jeremy Blackman

For some reason, I think Milos Forman would be a better choice.

Ghostboy

Or heck, get Alan Parker back.

And it's not that Joel Schumacher can't make a good movie, because he's done so in the past and I'm sure there's a definite possibility that this will be a quality film -- it's just that, moreso than almost any other current director, he's tainted his name so terribly. The Phantom Of The Opera trailer would be far better served without his name credit.

I've never seen the show, but I used to listen to the CD all the time. It'd be cooler if The Phantom had more Lon Cheney-esque makeup, but oh well. Emma Rossum is adorable.

I want to see Les Mis adapted. Actually, I'd like to adapt it myself because I'm particularly fond of that musical, but I'd want to do it in French so no one would notice how bad the lyrics are.

Pedro

Quote from: GhostboyI want to see Les Mis adapted. Actually, I'd like to adapt it myself because I'm particularly fond of that musical, but I'd want to do it in French so no one would notice how bad the lyrics are.
"one little scream and you'll regret it for a year"

some lyrics are pretty bad, but it's a lot better overall than phantom.  do you have any specific plans for how you'd shoot any of your adaptation?

Chest Rockwell

I don't understand why Phantom of the Opera is synonymous more with the musical than the book nowadays. Never saw the show, but I LOVED the book. I'll see this. And hey, Joel Schumacher can sometimes create some nice artistic effects that I'm assuming would work for a musical, i.e. Batman Forver.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest RockwellI don't understand why Phantom of the Opera is synonymous more with the musical than the book nowadays.

Quote from: MacGuffinThe Broadway play written by Andrew Lloyd Webber (with lyrics by Charles Hart and Richard Stilgoe), which has grossed over $3 billion since its debut in 1987
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

Macguffin, love your profile photo. i just saw corridors of evil for the first time yesterday.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pubrick

Quote from: ddiggler6280Macguffin, love your profile photo. i just saw corridors of evil for the first time yesterday.
i call it carnival of souls.

Quote from: GhostboyI want to see Les Mis adapted.
u mean for the 20th time time?
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

What I meant was, I want to see the Broadway musical Les Miserables adapted.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Chest RockwellI don't understand why Phantom of the Opera is synonymous more with the musical than the book nowadays.

Quote from: MacGuffinThe Broadway play written by Andrew Lloyd Webber (with lyrics by Charles Hart and Richard Stilgoe), which has grossed over $3 billion since its debut in 1987
I saw that. What I'm saying is that I don't see how that many people could have seen it, and yet probably 70% of them never read the book. No one seems to have read the book. Moreover, it was a rhetorical question.