Steve Jobs and Pixar vs. Disney

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 10, 2003, 05:56:32 PM

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin
Walt Disney Feature Animation will release Home on the Range on April 2, featuring songs performed by Tim McGraw, Bonnie Raitt and k.d. lang.

What a horrid soundtrack.

modage

Would Pixar Bring Marvel's Characters to Life?
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Tuesday, February 3, 2004

The Hollywood Reporter has up an interesting interview with Marvel vice chairman Peter Cunio who says they have met with Pixar. Pixar will only work with Disney on two more films, The Incredibles and "Cars". After that they will be looking to other companies to make films with.

In terms of Pixar -- which announced last week that it was talking to other studios after breaking off negotiations to re-up with Disney -- Cunio said it was too early to tell whether the company might do business with Marvel.

"Pixar until very recently has been committed to creating their own characters," Cunio said. "Will their strategy change now? I don't know. It's possible."

The goal for Marvel is to have 15 "James Bond-type" franchises going at any given time in filmed entertainment and in licensing, Cunio said. He said that with that many longterm franchises active at once with various studios, there would be a "cushion" for those years when there wasn't a big hit film based on a Marvel character.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Pixar to Start Talks with Studios in March
Source: Reuters

While Pixar Animation Studios said in an official statement that the company would not begin discussions with other studios to distribute its films until 2006, Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs said today that deal will happen much sooner.

He said Pixar would begin looking for a new film distribution partner in March with the hope of getting a deal in place by fall 2004. In a teleconference with analysts and reporters following Pixar's fourth-quarter earnings release, Jobs said that at least four other studios could successfully distribute its films and that renewed talks were "very unlikely."

Jobs said Pixar could easily fund production of its movies in the future. It has over $520 million in cash and cash equivalents currently, expects to have $650 million by this summer, and as much as $800 million to $1 billion by 2006, Jobs said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Disney Studio Chief Sees Big-Screen 'Toy Story 3'

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - "Toy Story 3" will be big.
Walt Disney Co. studio chief Dick Cook said on Friday he was leaning toward making the third installment of "Toy Story," Pixar Animation Studios Inc. 's 1995 hit, as a feature movie rather than a straight-to-home video project in a few years.

Pixar and Disney plan to part ways after two more films together, but Disney retains the rights to make the sequels to the movies they have already produced, including the two "Toy Story" movies.

Pixar, which has said sequel rights were a sore point that helped torpedo contract extension talks, could take part in "Toy Story 3" but has said it was unlikely to do so.

"My hunch is big screen," Dick Cook, the studio chairman, told Reuters in an interview. But he said that no decision had been made and that the movie was a few years or more away.

"We are nowhere on it right now," he said.

Disney's sequel to its own hit "The Lion King" went straight to video and DVD this year. DVD sequels work well for studios that can build on a household name without major investments, but Cook said the "Toy Story" sequel was worth a bigger release.

"I think it deserves it. These are two of the most beloved characters in the last generation. Buzz and Woody are fantastic characters, and I think that is something that would fit on the big screen nicely."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin"I think it deserves it. These are two of the most beloved characters in the last generation and we cant wait to rape their legacy with an awful theatrical release of a straight-to-video quality film."
if/when this happens, i WILL NEVER SEE IT.  i'm banning a non-pixar sequel.  i hope Hanks and Allen refuse to come back and they're forced to use like, teenage mutant ninja turtle voice actors in their places and everyone catches on that something is fishy and  the disney empire crumbles for this evil.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

BonBon85

Is this going to be 2d or 3d? I remember Disney releasing some straight to video movies about Buzz that were 2d. I think that making it 2d would be the only feasible to make this without Pixar, especially if Pixar holds all of the character files that can only be opened by their own software. If it is 3d, Disney will definitely make it a feature because they'd be investing too much work into it to send it straight to video.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: MacGuffin"I think it deserves it. These are two of the most beloved characters in the last generation and we cant wait to rape their legacy with an awful theatrical release of a straight-to-video quality film."
if/when this happens, i WILL NEVER SEE IT.  i'm banning a non-pixar sequel.  i hope Hanks and Allen refuse to come back and they're forced to use like, teenage mutant ninja turtle voice actors in their places and everyone catches on that something is fishy and  the disney empire crumbles for this evil.
I'm Crossing my Fingers on that as well, hoping that the disney empire will distergrate to rubble Muhahahahahahahahahahaha.....God, am I a dork
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

bonanzataz

Quote from: SiliasRubyI'm Crossing my Fingers on that as well, hoping that the disney empire will distergrate to rubble Muhahahahahahahahahahaha.....God, am I a dork

hey, come on! what's wrong with you people?! are you not aware that disney is the studio that produces all of wes anderson's movies? i'm sure there are more that i can't think of now (sorority boys, anybody?), but disney does a lot of good.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

mutinyco

Wes could make his movies elsewhere. All Disney does is squeeze every drop of money it can.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: bonanzatazdisney does a lot of good.
Hitler was a painter.

Pwaybloe

Boy, is that a typical JB response.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: bonanzatazdisney does a lot of good.
Hitler was a painter.

Must be why the animators call Disney, Mouschwitz.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Quote from: bonanzataz
Quote from: SiliasRubyI'm Crossing my Fingers on that as well, hoping that the disney empire will distergrate to rubble Muhahahahahahahahahahaha.....God, am I a dork

hey, come on! what's wrong with you people?! are you not aware that disney is the studio that produces all of wes anderson's movies? i'm sure there are more that i can't think of now (sorority boys, anybody?), but disney does a lot of good.
I was mildly joking that remark. Disney movies and theme parks brings alot of joy to alot of kids. I am just frusterated that they are going ahead and doing a Toy Story 3, without pixar. Other than that I like disney movies. But I think paying 6 dollars for a cheesburger and and 2 dollars for a drink at Disneyland is insane.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Disney Building a Unit to Make Pixar Sequel Movies

The Walt Disney Co. is building a new animation unit to create feature film sequels to the hits it made with Pixar Animation Studios, starting with a "Toy Story 3" feature film due by 2008, studio Chairman Dick Cook told Reuters on Tuesday.

Fans have wondered for years whether Disney would make the next "Toy Story" as a straight-to-DVD project, like follow-ups to Disney hits such as "Lion King."

But Cook said it would be a theatrical release.

Disney has the right to make sequels to films from the Pixar relationship, with which Pixar could cooperate or not.

Pixar has not shown interest thus far, but Disney is moving ahead with plans of its own.

Disney's "Toy Story" sequel will be built at a new division in Glendale, California, near the feature animation division's headquarters in Burbank, Cook said.

"It would be another unit," he said, adding that Disney was still deciding how many animators it would hire.

"They'll have individual projects in there, using the same technology and the same infrastructure that we have at the main location in feature animation, and it will primarily be doing sequels to Disney/Pixar films," he said.

Speaking to Wall Street analysts who were meeting with company executives at Walt Disney World, Cook said that feature animation planned to produce one major film each year, for release around summer or winter holidays.

Cook said the Pixar sequel planned for 2008 would not be the main Disney animated feature for that year.

Disney, best known for its hand-drawn style films, also showed analysts previews of "Chicken Little," it's first computer-animated feature.

Disney's feature animation division has been under fire in recent years as Disney cut jobs and restructured, turning to computer animation in the shadow of Pixar. The two studios will part ways after one more jointly produced film, "Cars."

"We're not falling on our swords anymore," Cook told analysts. "This is a new beginning for feature animation."

One investor gave Disney credit for putting feature animation back on its feet with "Chicken Little" and other original work that was previewed at the meeting.

"Not everything is going to be wonderful, but my guess is this will be a credible departure from dependence on the Pixar situation," media investor Hal Vogel told Reuters at the conference.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Tom Hanks is cool. He's right not to come back for a Toy Story 3 without Pixar attached.