Favorite Painting

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, November 18, 2003, 05:23:06 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MacGuffinhttp://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=860

I almost feel like apologizing everytime you redirect me.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

godardian

A better David Hockney than the one I posted before. A Bigger Splash, from 1967.

I was inspired to check out just who this David Hockney character was by Chuck Stephens's great liner-note essay for the Boogie Nights (double) DVD.

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

When I was in Vegas one time, the Bellagio had Steve Martin's paintings on exhibit. He had some amazing ones, included among them were a few Hockney's. That was my first experience with him.

I think one of them was ...Splash. Or at least a swimming pool one, anyway.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Hockney's photography is great too if anybody here is familiar with it..

Anyway, this is one of my favourite paintings:

aclockworkjj

is it just me (I fit here too) or does it seem like alot of us are Dali fans.  Is it cause he is that good, or is it cause our knowledge of painters is that small???

Granted, I feel I know a bit in regards to art (more than the average joe), but I will be the first to admit that I would like to know more...maybe there is someone else I would like more, but just don't have knowledge of him yet.

SHAFTR

Ditto to Walrus's.

I don't like Dali just because I'm sick of his stuff.  That is my best explanation, first time I saw it I was impressed.  Now, I just am sick of it.  In contrast, I see Van Gogh just as much and I don't get sick of his stuff, ditto with escher.

I want to point out that i HATE Warhol, his paintings and especially his films.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SHAFTRI want to point out that i HATE Warhol, his paintings and especially his films.
I will agree with that...that fucker owe's me 35 minutes of time (at least) for having to sit through Blow Job.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: SHAFTRI want to point out that i HATE Warhol, his paintings and especially his films.
I will agree with that...that fucker owe's me 35 minutes of time (at least) for having to sit through Blow Job.

You mean you owe $35...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SHAFTR

Quote from: aclockworkjj

He took 66 minutes of my life for My Hustler.

cine

Quote from: aclockworkjjIs it cause he is that good, or is it cause our knowledge of painters is that small???
Well, for me, I just love surrealist art. I know a good deal of art (hence knowing the Death of Marat when that banner was made) but I can see what you mean about people being limited to a small number of main works, such as the Persistence of Memory.

godardian

Hey, let's give credit where credit is due:

...this band would probably not have existed if not for him.

His work also bestowed another great album cover (from Flesh):

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SHAFTR

Quote from: godardianHey, let's give credit where credit is due:

...this band would probably not have existed if not for him.

His work also bestowed another great album cover (from Flesh):

I'll give him that.  I love the Velvet Underground.  In my mind, perhaps the greatest American Band.

SoNowThen

Also, his cover for Sticky Fingers is great.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

coffeebeetle

I'm obsessed with this guy's work.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Jeremy Blackman

That looks like the Fear and Loathing Criterion art.