What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: kotteFear and Loathing in America : The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist
by Hunter S. Thompson

I don't know much about Hunter and his work but this had me intrigued. I haven't read it but I'm thinking about it.

Anyone read it?

It's great.  Like Jay Tee Em said, you don't need to read in chronological order but I'd suggest reading some of his actual work before you read his letters, if you don't know much about him.  I imagine the letters would work better if you know what projects he's referring to in them.

In either case, it's a good read.

kotte

You know, I think I'll start with The Great White Shark Hunt.

How much does Fear & Loathing differ from the film?

Reinhold

i'm lookin for a recommendation on a good book to get me into yoga. any suggestions?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

jtm

Quote from: kotte
How much does Fear & Loathing differ from the film?

not much at all but it's still really fun to read even if you've seen the movie before reading it.

kotte

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
by Patrick Süskind

People here got me really excited about it. Starting it today.

Ghostboy

And you'll probably finish it tomorrow, with a massive smile stretched across your face.

kotte

Quote from: GhostboyAnd you'll probably finish it tomorrow, with a massive smile stretched across your face.

Hehe...great!

socketlevel

city of glass, Paul Auster

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Ultrahip

EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE

by Jonathan Safran Foer.

I believe Foer is to contemporary literature what PTA is to contemporary cinema.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Redlum

I just couldnt get in to "To the White Sea", to be honest I thought the internal monologue got a bit repetitive. Finding cover, blending with the environment, being like a rabbit. I was about 100 pages in so I might pick it up over the summer.

I just started "Say a Prayer for Owen Meany" and I'm enjoying that a lot more.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Sleuth

is your avatar from Ghostbusters 2
I like to hug dogs

Myxo

Quote from: Reinhold Messner

Great book..

Ghostboy

Quote from: ®edlumI just couldnt get in to "To the White Sea", to be honest I thought the internal monologue got a bit repetitive. Finding cover, blending with the environment, being like a rabbit. I was about 100 pages in so I might pick it up over the summer.

I just started "Say a Prayer for Owen Meany" and I'm enjoying that a lot more.

Ah, you passed up greatness for mere goodness! But to each his own. A Prayer For Owen Meany is a fine book. I'm not sure how I feel about John Irving, though - he's an excellent writer, but I haven't been anxious to pick anything of his up since the first few I read.

I'm currently reading:

The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy
Cassavetes On Cassavetes
Brighton Rock by Graham Greene
And this wonderful graphic novel called THB from a totally amazing artist named Paul Pope.

rustinglass

Quote from: Ghostboy
Brighton Rock by Graham Greene

I like this novel a lot. Have you ever read "The Confidential Agent"? It's my favourite Greene, it's like it could make the perfect film noir. Actually there is a film with Lauren Bacall, but I can never find it. I wonder if it's lost....
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica