To Newbs, introduce yourself.

Started by Xixax, January 08, 2003, 01:13:48 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: christian on August 31, 2006, 04:19:08 PMi used to have a tendency to buy loads of dvd's months in and months out. this has worn out recently and i really don't know why.

Hope I never catch that disease. That's like the ebola virus of DVD shopping.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Champion Souza

Hi, I have been lurking on this board for months and I thought I should introduce myself.  I first heard about xixax from the old ptanderson website.  I found this site again earlier this year.  Xixax is the only board I frequent about movies.  It's become my main source for movie news.
Directors I like include the Andersons, Coen bros (from the 90's in particular), Francis Ford Copolla (70's in particular), the Kaufman/Jonze/Gondry collaborations, Woody Allen, Hitchcock, Kubrick to name a few.

I don't post on forums very much but I like to read this one.  So I thought I'd say hi.

I am an animator living in Canada.

matt35mm

Quote from: Champion Souza on September 10, 2006, 12:42:47 PM
Hi, I have been lurking on this board for months and I thought I should introduce myself.  I first heard about xixax from the old ptanderson website.  I found this site again earlier this year.  Xixax is the only board I frequent about movies.  It's become my main source for movie news.
Directors I like include the Andersons, Coen bros (from the 90's in particular), Francis Ford Copolla (70's in particular), the Kaufman/Jonze/Gondry collaborations, Woody Allen, Hitchcock, Kubrick to name a few.

I don't post on forums very much but I like to read this one.  So I thought I'd say hi.

Hello back.  Good intro, good avatar, good name... I like you already!  Please feel welcome to post more often.

RegularKarate

See, when your first post is in this thread, you get points, people.

Pubrick

Quote from: Champion Souza on September 10, 2006, 12:42:47 PM

excellent.
under the paving stones.

pete

canadian animators are the best.  I think I just mean frederic back though.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

...and Norman McLaren and Ryan Larkin.

essbe

Hey, I just recently joined here after finding out about the site from someone who reads but never posts.  I'm a 20 year old film student.  It's not something that I'm just sorta interested in, it's my life and passion.  A few of my inspirations: Scorsese, Godard, Truffaut, Cronenberg, Coppola, Lang, Ray, Hitchcock, Welles, Hawks,Kubrick, Fellini.  I consider film the perfect artform; it's the closest approximation in art that we have to the actual flow of consciousness, in both the dream  and everyday perception of the world.  I joined this board to have thoughtful discussions with people of similar interests.
Film lovers are sick people

polkablues

Quote from: essbe on September 30, 2006, 11:25:16 PM
I joined this board to have thoughtful discussions with people of similar interests.

Please lower your expectations to an achievable level.

:yabbse-grin:

Good intro.  Nice to have you on board.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

This is more of a Ratner, Bay, Shadyac, Shankman kind of forum.

essbe

Uwe Boll is better than all of those clowns combined.  He directed such seamless video game to film masterpieces as: Bloodrayne, Alone in the Dark and House of the Dead

:doh:
Film lovers are sick people

ASmith

MacGuffin shouted at me that I must post here.  All I will say is "snakes in an octagon," and so I dare not cross him.

Hello Xixax!

I lurked for a few days, reading a few threads just to see what sort of community this was.  I saw long, well thought out posts; intelligent posters; and not a single thread that had forgotten its topic in favor of personal attacks: rare in most people's daily internet experience.  As far as forums go in general, mature, constructive discourse is a rarity. 

In fact, my search for a place to discuss movies began when I realized that the IMDB forums, with some exception, was one of the worst forums in which I had ever participated.  Much like how your tastes refine in movie watching itself, I just knew there had to be something better out there. 

Luckily I have a friend "in the biz" and he spoke highly of you guys.  He said to check Xixax out, and out I have checked it.

Some films that define me:

• Big Lebowski
  • Office Space
  • Groundhog Day
  • The complete works of Wes Anderson, Gondry/Jonze/Kaufman
  • plenty of non-comedies too, but those don't seem to stick out in my mind

Hopefully this was a proper introduction.  In the future I'd like to swear more though, so if someone could brief me on the board's policy on that, that'd be great.

ASmith

Pubrick

Quote from: ASmith on October 04, 2006, 04:09:02 AM
I saw long, well thought out posts; intelligent posters; and not a single thread that had forgotten its topic in favor of personal attacks
that's cos we hide this forum.

Hopefully this was a proper introduction.  In the future I'd like to swear more though, so if someone could brief me on the board's policy on that, that'd be great.
yep excellent intro. regarding swears, you can do whatever you want. i can only suggest a reminder that like in real life, doing it gratuitously/excessively just makes you sound stupid and when used to express excitement it tends to instantly overrate the subject in question. use wisely. and welcome.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pubrick on October 04, 2006, 04:24:02 AM
yep excellent intro. regarding swears, you can do whatever you want. i can only suggest a reminder that like in real life, doing it gratuitously/excessively just makes you sound stupid and when used to express excitement it tends to instantly overrate the subject in question. use wisely. and welcome.

Fuckin' A, Bitches!

Reinhold

lovely.

we try to only allow curse words if written out in acrostic poems. as in real life, haiku is allowable if it's absolutely necessary.  if you're a little nervous, here's an example to get you started:

"feel free to let loose with
urges to swear are
common, especially among artists.
* is an odd piece of punctuation, isn't it?"

welcome to xixax. don't forget to introduce yourself to the search function.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.