Viewing Habits?

Started by Teen Wolf, September 16, 2003, 04:49:37 PM

Teen Wolf

Okay, so this is kind of a throwaway topic, but I was just wondering if any of you, like me, have certain... rituals (for lack of a better word) that you have for watching a movie at home. For example, is there a certain chair you must sit in, a particular beverage you must have at your side? Or maybe the lighting in the room has to be just right. I, for example, won't watch certain movies if I know there will be distractions. When I first saw The Thin Red Line, there were others in the room (I was sharing an apartment) that were not watching the movie, just talking amongst themselves. I thought I could tune them out, but I couldn't and as a result the movie washed over me like a giant tsunami, leaving me with the vaguest of impressions.

I will shut the fuck up now, sorry that was so long-winded, and leave you to (hopefully) fill me in on some of your own viewing habits.

Sleuth

I must always sit directly in front of the screen or I won't watch it

in theaters, there is no chair directly in front, so I sit on the middle-left chair
I like to hug dogs

Jeremy Blackman

I'm probably too obsessed with sound. It has to be centered (i.e. I have to be centered). And it has to be loud.

Also, in the theater, I never get concessions unless I'm with someone.

Anachronism

Hehehe yeah that whole apartment scenario has lead to a couple of fist fights in my early University years. My ritual isn't so much of a ritual but a code of ethics:

1.) STFU, 2.) Don't ask me what just happened 3.) STFU 4.) Widescreen or Noscreen 5.) STFU 6.) No crunchy snacks 7.) No external lighting 8.) STFU 9.) If you are going to scream leave the room. 10.) S T F U

But yeah aside from people talking while I am watching a film in the supposed sanctity of my own domicile I am relatively benign when it comes to the enforcement of these ethics. Which is to say I merely chop off the left hand (sinister!) of first time offenders, dang but those Saudis have it down pat. Repeat offenders are converted into confectionery to be purchased by 1st time offenders before they too partake in the offense/confection cycle anew.

picolas

i must always be facing the screen, or i won't watch it.

NEON MERCURY

....when watching filmS At  NEON MERCURY's house you must:

1.0  not fake laugh at anything
2.0  not  speak unless spoken to
3.0  watch the trailer before the feature
4.0  drink decent beer
5.0  make sure I get the  recliner
6.0  not crinkle the bag of chips
7.0  no crying
8.0  not walk out and say the film was/is total garbage
9.0  watch the film w/out light
10   applaud my brillaint tastes in film upon my request
11   not quote the dialogue at the same time onscreen characters do so. :roll:
12   not dance like you are in a rave whe generic techno pops up in a film
13   use an ashtray
14   have a good time or at least pretend to are........................ :lying:

cine

Quote from: Anachronismcode of ethics:
1.) STFU, 2.) Don't ask me what just happened 3.) STFU 4.) Widescreen or Noscreen 5.) STFU 6.) No crunchy snacks 7.) No external lighting 8.) STFU 9.) If you are going to scream leave the room. 10.) S T F U

great fuckin' code. I follow that too.

Pas

Quote from: NEON MERCURY....when watching filmS At  NEON MERCURY's house you must:

1.0  not fake laugh at anything
2.0  not  speak unless spoken to
3.0  watch the trailer before the feature
4.0  drink decent beer
5.0  make sure I get the  recliner
6.0  not crinkle the bag of chips
7.0  no crying
8.0  not walk out and say the film was/is total garbage
9.0  watch the film w/out light
10   applaud my brillaint tastes in film upon my request
11   not quote the dialogue at the same time onscreen characters do so. :roll:
12   not dance like you are in a rave whe generic techno pops up in a film
13   use an ashtray
14   have a good time or at least pretend to are........................ :lying:

Why do you watch the trailer before the movie ?

Vile5

maybe the only ritual i have to watch a movie at home is watch it alone..
but yesterday i met a man who told me that he noticed that film fans have a special attitud, for example he said that every film fan he knew use to sit in the 5th or 6th row and in the middle, to have the screen just in front of them, and i realized i use to do exactly the same! and i see for some posts before i was not the only one....
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Anachronism

"Why do you watch the trailer first?"

The same reason I eat my green beans before I eat my succulent Turkey bathed in gravy.

MrBurgerKing

The same reason I insist on studying the overhead menu while standing in line at BK everytime. I see where all you pricks are coming from though.. Foreplay isn't for everyone, some just want to go directly for the sex.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Although it's a natural reaction to do so, and I am guilty of it a few times myself, I hate when people ask "what's going on?" or "what just happened?"  I just want to scream at them "MAYBE IF YOU FUCKING WATCH THE MOVIE AND STOP ASKING SO MANY GODDAMN QUESTIONS, YOU'D KNOW!"  

Only because people ask in the worst movies to talk during.  People know (or should know) that not just in my house, but anywhere I'm watching Pulp Fiction, Clockwork Orange, Punch Drunk Love, etc. you are only allowed to laugh at the appropriate times.  Unless everyone has seen the movie, it is sacred and all must behold.

I hate especially when people say it sucked immediately afterwards.  You can't just say it that fast.  That means at one point you decided it sucked and never gave it a chance and you closed off your perspective to it.  That's just not cool.  Like when I watched PDL with some people immediately after the line "Where to now?" and the as soon as the credits popped up I heard from one unfortunate fool:

"I don't get it, I just wasted 90 minutes of my life."

I would've killed them, but I remembered they liked Buying the Cow, so I knew that they weren't too cultured in moviemaking and overlooked all the cinematography in the movie.

Bastards.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas RapportWhy do you watch the trailer before the movie ?
maybe he likes to know everything that's gonna happen before he watches it.. a lot of ppl here are into that..
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Vile5every film fan he knew use to sit in the 5th or 6th row and in the middle, to have the screen just in front of them, and i realized i use to do exactly the same! and i see for some posts before i was not the only one....

That's too close, the best place to sit is 2/3rds of the theater from the screen in the center because that is where the sound mixers are in the dub theater.

But this is about home experiences.

Just this: No lights, No Lip

Banky

Quote from: P
Quote from: Pas RapportWhy do you watch the trailer before the movie ?
maybe he likes to know everything that's gonna happen before he watches it.. a lot of ppl here are into that..

p, i seriously dig the shit you post on this site