Robert Altman's "The Company"

Started by cine, April 03, 2003, 06:05:11 PM

soixante

The Company finally showed up at a theater near me.  I enjoyed it.  It is on the level of stuff like Cookie's Fortune and Dr. T and the Women, not as good as Gosford Park or Short Cuts, but certainly better than Gingerbread Man and Ready to Wear.

I think Ebert's review nailed it -- The Company is as much about filmmaking as it is about dancing.
Music is your best entertainment value.

cine

Director Robert Altman's "Company, The" will be released on DVD from Columbia / Tristar on June 1st.
Disc specs:
Extended Dance Sequences
The Passion Of Dance and The Making Of The Company Featurettes
Audio Commentary With Director Robert Altman and Actress Neve Campbell
Play All Dance Sequences Featurette
Extended Dance Sequences
Bonus Trailers

ono

Not to repeat myself or anything, but it's still in theatres, I haven't had a chance to see it, and they're talking DVD.  How about a Short Cuts DVD instead?  Chop chop!

ono

So ... I finally saw The Company.  Anyone else?  No?  Yeah, thought so.

It was, well, felt, like a documentary to me in a way.  Altman's films have been described as jazz.  This film is like a dance set to jazz or something.  It just flows from one thing to the next more than any film of his I can think of.  Very little plot, very little dialogue, and that means that all the dialogue there is important.  Great set design and choreography, which is a must for a film like this.  A good film to check out for Altman fans or ballet fans.  Others may be bored, though I feel sorry for you if you are 'cause there are just so many memorable visual scenes here.  Can't wait for Ultraviolet, er, I mean Paint.

it was okay, but i didn't remember that i had ever watched  it until 2 minutes ago
context, context, context.