The Departed (Infernal Affairs remake)

Started by MacGuffin, February 13, 2004, 02:09:12 AM

MacGuffin

Michael Ballhaus, 'The Departed'
Source: Variety

Awards: Nominated for three Oscars, three BAFTA awards and one ASC award; slated to receive the ASC Intl. Achievement Award in February.

Tools: Arri studio cameras with Zeiss BP series lenses, Arri Ultra-Primes, Arri Master Primes and Angenieux Optima zooms; Kodak Vision 5217, 5218 and 5229 stock; and the Mo-Sys Remote Digital Head system.

Aesthetic: Ballhaus deliberately focused on "using a different style" from his previous collaborations with Martin Scorsese. "We tried to find different angles and colors for different scenes, with lighting that reflected noirish looks from movies that Marty showed us," says Ballhaus. "I especially tried to find different colors for scenes. For instance, all scenes in (Matt Damon's) office, I tried to keep on the cool side, a little bluish. Scenes with the romantic love interest, I did with different stock, softer and warmer. And then, for scenes with Jack Nicholson's character, we stayed more neutral, with different shades of darkness, since he plays a very dark character."

Visual references: "Marty gave me a couple movies to look at from the late 1940s, particularly 'T-Men' (1947) and 'Raw Deal' (1948), both shot by (film noir cinematographer) John Alton. They were a nice guideline for what he had in mind -- how to accomplish the darkness and mood of those films."

Challenges: "Probably the most difficult scene to shoot was toward the end of the movie, where the Costello gang is trapped by police in an old abandoned shipyard and they have a shoot-out. Marty and I had never really done a big cops-and-robbers shoot-out before, so it was fun, but hard to shoot. The location was huge, about the length of four football fields and 100 feet high. And because it was a big action scene, we used four or five cameras and very specialized light. Such places are normally dimly lit, so it starts off dark and then, when the police come in and the shoot-out starts, it lights up and gets very complicated."

What's next: Since lensing "The Departed," the 71-year-old Ballhaus says he has been pondering retirement.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 10, 2007, 12:32:18 PM
http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script=departed

so, di caprio is not a good actor, marty will do anything to win an oscar, nicholson only knows how to play nicholson and other easy targets /critcism cliches sorrounding the departed...besides not being very original this parody is not very funny either, or any of the other ones i've read...amazing some people actually can even make money of trashing others like this.

Derek237

polkablues

Quote from: Fernando on December 20, 2006, 09:00:45 AM
Quote from: polkablues on August 05, 2006, 10:01:31 PM

Haha, I love that in polka's poster Leo is happy.

And I'm amazed at how prescient my placement of Vera Farmiga was in terms of her place in the story.

But now, in hindsight, I would make Marky Mark smaller and put Alec Baldwin in there next to him.  And maybe a little upside-down Martin Sheen coming down from the top.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

China blocks entry to Scorsese's "Departed"

China's movie censor will not approve Golden Globe-honored film "The Departed" for domestic cinematic release due to its mention of a Chinese plan to buy military equipment, government sources said on Wednesday.

Martin Scorsese was named best film director at the Golden Globes on Monday for "The Departed," a crime thriller many think might earn him first Oscar either for best directing or for best film.

"There is no chance 'The Departed' will be shown in mainland cinemas because the U.S. side declined to change a plot line describing how Beijing wanted to buy advanced military computer hardware," said one source.

"That part of the plot is definitely unnecessary," added the source, who asked not to be identified as he does not have permission to speak to the foreign media.

"The regulators just cannot understand why the movie wanted to involve China. They can talk about Iran or Iraq or whatever, but there's no reason to get China in," added the source, who is close to the country's movie regulator.

Another government source, who also asked for anonymity, confirmed the decision.

An executive in Hong Kong at Media Asia, which has the distribution rights for "The Departed" in the mainland, said that the film did not pass the Chinese censor, but declined further comment.

The ruling is likely to have little impact on stopping Chinese people seeing the movie, as pirated versions can already be bought on DVD off the street in China.

"The Departed," a cops versus criminals saga starring Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon, is a Hollywood remake of hit Hong Kong movie "Infernal Affairs."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 17, 2007, 09:55:09 AM
"The regulators just cannot understand why the movie wanted to involve China. They can talk about Iran or Iraq or whatever, but there's no reason to get China in," added the source,

hahaha, what the fuck china, if you want to play with the big kids you're gonna have to grow some balls.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

DiCaprio says it's a joke Scorsese has no Oscars

Hollywood star Leonardo DiCaprio said on Thursday that director Martin Scorsese deserved to win an Oscar for his new movie, "The Departed," adding it was a "joke" the veteran director still had not been awarded for any of his works.

"It would be wonderful if this film was rewarded, I think it very much deserves it," said DiCaprio, who stars in the crime thriller that won a Golden Globe award for best film this week.

"And I certainly think the man to my left does. It's quite long overdue, almost a practical joke at this point that that hasn't happened," he said, referring to Scorsese who was also attending a news conference ahead of the film's opening in Japan this weekend.

Despite being regarded by many as a master of cinema, Scorsese has never received an Academy Award for a single film, including for such revered works as "Raging Bull" and "Taxi Driver."

In addition to the Golden Globes, the Broadcast Film Critics Association named Scorsese the best director and "The Departed" the best film, raising expectations that he might finally win an Oscar either for best picture or best director.

The director said he did not have any expectations about an Academy Award.

"I learned a long time ago that, with "Mean Streets" and "Taxi Driver," that you can't make a film to get the golden statue. And if you try it doesn't work."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 18, 2007, 10:15:24 AM
the crime thriller that won a Golden Globe award for best film this week.
invalidated.

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 18, 2007, 10:15:24 AM
"I learned a long time ago that, with "Mean Streets" and "Taxi Driver," that you can't make a film to get the golden statue. And if you try it doesn't work."
unless you're haggis, eastwood, minghella that one time..
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

I think Scorsese will win this time, and I've never bothered to make that prediction before.

The Academy is there for one purpose: to suck as much cock as possible.  (I can only wish that that were literal, as Brokeback would've then won last year... but alas, I only mean that the Academy's purpose is to whore itself on an even lower level)  This year, there's so much cock on Scorsese's side.  I don't really think that The Departed was all that great (it was fine, which is more than good enough for the sake of this award), but there's no other director that the Academy would be interested in giving an Oscar to.

It's POSSIBLE that Clint might win, if they nominate him for Letters, but even then it'd just seem odd to give him another Oscar so soon and for a movie that wasn't as loved as the movies that he did win Oscars for.  If Clint is nominated twice, then he's out of the game.  There were better directed movies than the current contenders, but they're not "in the game."

That leaves, who... Condon and Inarritu?  I don't see them winning Best Director.

Oh fuck it, I don't want to do anymore Oscar speculating.  How lame of me.  I do, however, want to post this so I can quote it if Scorsese does win.

Gold Trumpet

Scorsese will win and considering the movie, he should not show up for the award show. It was the least that Paul Newman could do when he finally won for In the Color of Money. That film was a fluff performance from a master and so is The Departed for Scorsese.

I use to watch The Hustler repeatedly to just be in awe of Newman's performance. The scene where he describes the thrill of winning was as nuanced and perfect as well thought out acting could get. His effort in In the Color of Money was a deflated tire. Not only was he relaxing the character to show his age, but he was relaxing the character of any thoughtful ideas. Newman had done too many star roles beforehand, I think.

Scorsese still has talent, but this was a sale on his part to get closer to his dream project, Silence. Nothing more. Anything that has anything to do with the mafia is given great lip service from everyone as being very personal for Scorsese, but Scorsese himself could offer very little personal in himself when he was describing why he was attracted to this project. He's been playing compliments to old Hollywood directors who were able to move from project to project which makes me think he no longer has the power he once had and he knows it.

Xx

Derek

While I agree with you on The Aviator, I would hate to think that if Scorsese does indeed win for the Departed, that people would consider it a sympathy vote.

For nearly 40 years, Scorsese has given us relevant and brilliant movies, The Departed among them. Apart from Spielberg, I can't think of another who has done the same in that era.

If he didn't deserve an Oscar this year, I would hate for him to get it because of overlooked opportunities. But when has that stopped the Academy Awards?

This is Marty's year. He deserves it.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

A Matter Of Chance

I don't know. I'd like to say I think that could save it for a lifetime achievement award, but I don't think I'd like to see any of the others who will probably be nominated take it.

MacGuffin

Scorsese planning Departed trilogy
Source: Moviehole

Robert De Niro might still win his muse back – from Leo - after all.

According to MTV [see below], the Raging Bull is in talks with director Martin Scorsese – his director on such classics as "Raging Bull", "Mean Streets" and "Taxi Driver" - to join the cast of an upcoming sequel to "The Departed".

"Infernal Affairs", the film that the Golden Globe Award Winning film was based on, spawned two sequels, so it's not at all surprising to hear that Scorsese is considering following up his version. And after the mint the first film has made at the box office, Warner Bros won't be flipping the thumbs upside down to the idea either. Any sequel would wanna be damn good though... they've a lot to live up to; and Scorsese's definitely a man who puts dignity right up there with Guinness beer.

Did you know that De Niro was actually offered the role that Martin Sheen ended up playing in the film? True. Bob couldn't do it because of his commitments to "The Good Shepherd".

Mark Wahlberg, who will also return for the sequel, said Scorsese also has an idea for a prequel. The actor tells the aforesaid site that it would be a way to "bring back the rest of the guys." (By 'the rest of the guys', he means the original – now 'Departed' characters – played by Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson and Martin Sheen).

Lets see how this one pans out, I'm not totally convinced that this is an idea of Scorsese's and not some crazy apparition that came to someone (like, ah, Mark Wahlberg) in a dream.

Departed Trilogy
Martin Scorsese considers prequel, sequel to cop drama
Source: MTV

When you hear the words "prequel" and "sequel," the last name you might imagine is fiercely original filmmaker Martin Scorsese. But now, following his Golden Globe victory and unprecedented box-office success, the legendary director is reportedly considering bringing back "The Departed." "We really didn't know what to expect [when we made it]," star Mark Wahlberg said. "I'm fascinated with that [gangster] world, but I'm from that world. I didn't really think that the rest of the world would respond like it did." Revealing Scorsese's purported plans, Wahlberg added: "We may do another one, because it's based on a Hong Kong film ['Infernal Affairs'], and there is a trilogy. So we may do a sequel with a new cast, and a prequel and bring back the rest of the guys." Either movie would mark the first time Scorsese revisited one of his own films, and Wahlberg said the director is already lining up assistance from some old friends. "They're talking to Robert De Niro and a couple of other people," he said. "Anybody who is anybody wants to work with Marty."

Skeleton FilmWorks