Richard Ashcroft/The Verve (new single and video out/ Ri still hot)

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 04, 2003, 11:58:11 AM

NEON MERCURY

KEYS TO THE WORLD[/B]:  TRACK BY TRACK REVIEW  

WHY NOT NOTHING?:  to be honest when i first heard the horns i was like..how the fuck could he follow-up check the meaning with this song as the album opener?  on all of his solo efforts, the opening songs are killer...song for lovers and check the meaning...check the meaning is my personal favorite ashcroft song and one of the greatest songs recorded in the last 10 years...it's one of those songs that you measure someone's taste in music with...if you hate that song then you have shit for taste..and i take that to the grave w/me...why not nothing? is so loud and scattershot..much like buy it in bottles...but after some time with it, i began to embrace it..it's sort of a fun rouser.

MUSIC IS POWER:  i love how this song opens w/a bang..it's very soulful and funky..different from most of his shit..it's odd like nature is the law...but in a good way.

BREAK THE NIGHT WITH COLOUR[/I]:  great fucking song...i immediately fell in love w/it..it's the perfect example of why i love ashcroft..it has a tremendous melody, it's catchy and a fun sing-along song...it has feeling..it's gorgeous...if i was making a mix cd of his greatest shit..this would be on it...

WORDS JUST GET IN THE WAY:  this is a song that had to grow on me...the melody seems borrowed from on a beach...it's slow and sort of meanders..doesn't go anywhere...and the lyrics are pretty bad..exspecially the part where he screams "ABC"...but even still i think its an okay track.

KEYS TO THE WORLD:  after dozing off during the previous song..this one opens brilliantly..it's very revved up and i like the touch w/the female haunting vocals..adds a nice layer to the song...this is another song i'll put on a ashcroft mix...thank you ashcroft for this one.

SWEET BROTHER MALCOLM:  i hate this song..every ashcroft album has a shit song..and this one's it....the way he sings is annoying..like when he constipates the word "celophane"...this song just plain sucks..

CRY TIL THE MORNING[/I]:  once again he bounces back w/a stellar track..this one is similar to break the night with colour...just a great melody and catchy..simple but fun song..nice ambiance...like all of ashcroft's great songs..they are unmistakenbly his..they have a trademark to them..in the way that they are melodic, sexy, ethereal....my only complaint it that like alot of his songs ..he repeats the chorus way to much at the end..but still good anyways.

WHY DO LOVERS?:  i think his best lyrics on this album are in this song...it's a pretty good song..the emotional peak is there in the chorus..it has a nice verse/chorus transition.....this song has the potential to become one of my favorites..

SIMPLE SONG:  now this song is a great rocker..reminds me of something by the rollling stones...the song has the most transitions of any of the other songs on this album..from slow-fast-meduim-slow-fast...it's the most interesting song on the album..i like it

WORLD KEEPS TURNING[/I]:  just like the american version of human conditions closed with a great song, the miracle, this album has a great, melodic, feel good song...it's a nice closer..

FINAL THOUGHTS:[/U]  i think this is better than human conditions as a whole..there are only one-maybe two dull moments..but it's definately enjoyable..and the bonus dvd is great...and i may be the only person who does this but i tend to smell all my cd inserts..and this one has the most unique smell yet...pubrick, et al....... i would like to here your opinions.

mogwai

(wtf???)

Boozed-up Ashcroft nicked

RICHARD ASHCROFT was arrested after bursting into a youth club and demanding to work with the baffled teens.

Witnesses say the former VERVE frontman appeared drunk and looked like a tramp as he began swearing and refusing to leave.

Staff called cops and Ashcroft was taken into custody for a couple of hours, then given an £80 fixed penalty fine for disorderly behaviour and released.

One eyewitness told me: "He was very strung out and close to tears at one point. He kept saying he wanted to work with kids, that he wanted to do 'good things'.

"He wasn't aggressive, in fact he was quite charming and friendly. He kept hugging some staff and kids.

"But when the police arrived he was almost begging to be arrested. They told him to go quietly but he wouldn't."

The singer, famous for songs like The Drugs Don't Work and who earned the nickname "Mad Richard" during his Verve heyday, entered The Bridge club in Chippenham, Wilts, just before 8pm on Monday.

The club is near where his wife Kate's family live.

Around 60 youngsters in their early teens were relaxing and playing games when he arrived.

The witness said: "It was surreal and we couldn't believe it at first. He looked like a tramp. He was dishevelled and unshaven, with filthy clothes, and there was saliva caked around his mouth.

"He was off his head, although he wasn't slurring his words. One of the staff said, 'You're the spitting image of Richard Ashcroft'. And he said, 'That's because I am.'

"When they asked what he was doing there he said, 'I've just come to see the kids. I want to see what's going on in the youth club.'"

Ashcroft then announced he would like to work with the youngsters but the woman in charge of the club told him he would have to go through the proper channels.

The insider added: "He kept swearing and saying, 'I'm Richard, I'm going to be doing some youth work here. You'll be seeing a lot more of me, this is my first night.' The woman was getting more and more anxious and rang her boss and I think he told her to call the police."

Ashcroft then slumped on a sofa and the kids gathered around and asked him: "Are you really a rock star?"

When a lone police officer arrived, the star was seen arguing with him outside.

The insider said: "He started getting aggressive towards the policeman and was swearing and asking him what his 'f***ing problem' was. The officer called for back-up and a patrol car arrived and took him away."

A spokesman for Wiltshire Police said Ashcroft was arrested for a public order offence and taken into custody.

A police source added: "It looked like he was drunk. He was discharged once he had calmed down."

Pubrick

the whole thing is hilarious, but this is my favourite part:

Quote from: mogwai on June 21, 2006, 12:06:00 PM
The insider added: "He kept swearing and saying, 'I'm Richard, I'm going to be doing some youth work here. You'll be seeing a lot more of me, this is my first night.' "

Ashcroft then slumped on a sofa and the kids gathered around and asked him: "Are you really a rock star?"
ah richard, your latest album had 4 great songs and too many bad ones. and yet you're still as entertaining as ever. like the friendly crazy town drunk rock star.

haha i love how everyone is saying he was drunk, he sounds like he was fucked on something harder than that. seriously, that story is great.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

from wikipedia:

(2007-present) Reunion

Regarding the possibility of a Verve reunion, Ashcroft ruled it out a couple of times when asked the question by Jam Showbiz, Ashcroft responded by saying: "You're more likely to get all four Beatles on stage."

On June 26, 2007 the band's reunion was announced by Jo Whiley on BBC Radio 1. They are to release an album at the end of the summer 2007 which will coincide with a tour in November 2007. The tour starts in Glasgow on the 2nd November, and will include performances at The Carling Academy Glasgow, The Empress Ballroom and the London Roundhouse. In a statement the band stated they were "Getting back together for the joy of the music". Missing from the band line-up is Simon Tong, who is tight with his work with Damon Albarn.

Pwaybloe

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pwaybloe on June 27, 2007, 12:38:36 PM
Holy shit!  Is this true?

The Verve Reunite — New LP, Tour On The Way
Group, famous for worldwide hit 'Bittersweet Symphony,' split at the peak of its popularity in 1999.
Source: MTV

Nearly eight years after their acrimonious split, British rockers the Verve have announced that they are reuniting for a winter U.K. tour and their first new album in a decade.

Lead singer Richard Ashcroft announced the reunion on his official Web site, writing, "The Verve, Richard Ashcroft, Nick McCabe, Simon Jones and Pete Salisbury, were back recording together in a London studio last week. After a summer break, they will return to the studio to complete their next album."

The only reunion dates scheduled thus far will take place in the U.K. early in November, with two dates each scheduled for Glasgow, Blackpool and London.

The group — which formed in Wigan, England, in 1990 — split in April of 1999, less than a year after guitarist McCabe bailed on the band's U.S. and European summer tour dates. Ashcroft and McCabe have had a famously contentious relationship that includes an earlier split in 1995 following the release of their second album, A Northern Soul. Ashcroft broke up the band, then reformed it with Simon Tong on guitar. Tong — who has since worked extensively with Damon Albarn in Blur, Gorillaz and The Good, the Bad & the Queen — is apparently not involved in the reunion.

With an intense live show that mixed hazy psychedelia, shoegazer rock and blue-eyed soul, the band broke through with the 1997 LP Urban Hymns, which contained the hit "Bittersweet Symphony." McCabe returned in time to work on the album and tour behind it, but quit in July of 1998, citing the wear and tear of life on the road.

Ashcroft went on to release three low-key, moderately selling solo albums that had an expansive sound similar to the Verve, but which often focused on more domestic issues and his spiritual side. Tong and Jones formed a short-lived psychedelic rock band called the Shining.

Salisbury has toured with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and opened a drum shop in England in 2004, while McCabe has kept a fairly low profile since leaving the group, working on a remix by the Music and contributing to tracks from an album by veteran British singer John Martyn.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

mogwai

The Verve break silence about inter-band fighting

The Verve have revealed how they settled the differences that split up the band after the release of their classic album, 'Urban Hymns'.

Richard Ashcroft and his band members explain how they resolved their issues in the new issue of NME, on sale now.

"We had quite a lot of time being angry," guitarist Nick McCabe explained, talking about the fighting that split the band. "Then, once you've sort of resolved a lot of things in your own mind, you kind of realise that it wasn't such a big deal in the first place.

"Then you think, 'God, what went on there?' All the stuff that happened since is a bit of a nonsense, really."

"It's all bollocks really," frontman Richard Ashcroft went on to say. "We're not here to get on the fucking couch. We've got our lives, we've got kids, we've got our wives. There's a lot of sacrifice goes on making a record and we're prepared to do that."

The band are set to tour the UK in November. To read the interview with The Verve in full, get the new issue of NME, on sale now.

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwai on October 04, 2007, 07:41:22 AM
frontman Richard Ashcroft went on to say. "We're not here to get on the fucking couch."

Redlum, what the hell is this straight up loon talking about??
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrick on October 04, 2007, 08:13:08 AM
Quote from: mogwai on October 04, 2007, 07:41:22 AM
frontman Richard Ashcroft went on to say. "We're not here to get on the fucking couch."

Redlum, what the hell is this straight up loon talking about??

Doesn't it mean:

Or it could mean:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Other languages should be outlawed. Everyone should speak American. Fuck yeah.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

mogwai

The Verve: A World Exclusive

Three weeks ago, in their first interview together for nine years, The Verve recounted to NME the exact moment that they started making music together again.

"We all decided," Richard Ashcroft told us, "That rather than meeting for a cup of coffee or a beer or whatever, we should meet in a studio where we can do what we do. Straight away."

Now, in a phenomenally exciting world exclusive, The Verve are giving away the first fruits of the recording session – the actual first 14 minutes they laid down together – through NME.com. No rehearsal, no fine tuning, no limits: just Richard Ashcroft, Nick McCabe, Simon Jones and Pete Salisbury back together in a room, making music.

The first new material by The Verve in 10 years is now just a click away...

download session

Pwaybloe

Thanks Mog.  This is fantastic.  My anticipation just sky-rocketed. 

Pwaybloe

Does anyone have any clear evidence on who is producing their latest album?  Chris Potter?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pwaybloe on October 23, 2007, 10:08:10 PM
Thanks Mog.  This is fantastic.  My anticipation just sky-rocketed. 

word!  anyone who has the gift of hearing should check this out!  i cannot believe that, if my understanding is correct, this is just the guys getting together for the first time and fucking around.  that is simply amazing.  it sounds like a more polished vibe of a storm in Heaven.  thanks mog.

if anyone could answer pway's question...do so please.