"pollock" by ed harris

Started by The Red Vine, March 07, 2006, 04:59:38 PM

The Red Vine

this movie seems to be really over looked. Ed Harris did an equally outstanding job here as an actor and director. it's not one of the most upbeat movies ever made, but definitely one to look out for.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Jeremy Blackman

Wasn't the greatest movie, but I think it did Pollock justice.

(I can't stand Marcia Gay Harden.)

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reinhold

i saw this for the first time when i was completely depressed--my girlfriend at the time and i realized that a breakup was coming very soon but were kind of ignoring it for the moment-- we picked this up pretty much at random because we thought it'd be something relatively light, each only knowing that we liked his art, but nothing about Pollock himself. that was probably the most mercilessly depressing nights of my life.

nice movie, though. i think ed harris is very good on both sides of the camera.  i remember thinking that it's sort of strangely paced, but it could have just been the sheer awkwardness of the circumstances in which i saw it.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Derek237

This was a great movie. Yes, I also found it unexpectedly depressing, but so interesting as well. I only rented it because I was doing some research on Pollock at the time and was studying his paintings...I thought, eh, I'll learn about his life, etc. Never expected this. Of all the times Harris was nominated for an Academy Award for acting (this being the only lead actor nom), I'm the most sour that he lost this one. Not only because Russell Crowe won for the good-but-not-great performance in Gladiator, but because Marcia Gay Harden of all people walks away with an Oscar for the movie. What the hell? Didn't she kill someone with her truck? Eh, whatver.

On the subject of films based on artists, I want to give mention to Frida, with Salma Hayek. I loved that movie. Highly reccomened, especially if you liked Pollock. Personally, I thought Frida was superior but they're both terrific.

The Red Vine

Quote from: Derek237 on March 20, 2006, 06:41:03 PM
On the subject of films based on artists, I want to give mention to Frida, with Salma Hayek. I loved that movie. Highly reccomened, especially if you liked Pollock. Personally, I thought Frida was superior but they're both terrific.

"Frida" is decent, but everyone be warned that it's a fuckin romantic comedy compared to "Pollock". totally different movies. I prefer "Pollock" by a long shot, but these are both good movies at showing great artists.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

SiliasRuby

Redvines is right, something to look out for but nothing to go out and search. A Wonderful Downer.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection