Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

godardian

Been listening to the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack, and was wondering if anyone here is a fan of Thom Yorke's contributions...

...also his contribution to "The Mess We're In" on PJ Harvey's Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

classical gas

I'm not sure of the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack, never heard it.  But the song he did with PJ Harvey is great.  listening to it right now...

tpfkabi

the best is the one with Bjork from the Dancer in the Dark soundtrack, "I've Seen it All."

godardian

Quote from: bigideasthe best is the one with Bjork from the Dancer in the Dark soundtrack, "I've Seen it All."

I like that one, too. Probably my favorite song from that soundtrack (I think it was nominated for an Oscar, too... at least, Bjork sang it at the Oscars. Memorably.)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

tpfkabi

Thom didn't sing with her, did he?
if not, who sang the male parts?

godardian

Quote from: bigideasThom didn't sing with her, did he?
if not, who sang the male parts?

If I remember correctly- it's possible I don't- they truncated the song (as they always do when they're performed Oscar night) to exclude the male parts...??

Someone refresh our memory.

modage

thom was originally scheduled to sing the duet, but unfortunately all the muscial performances had their time allowances cut down to like 2 minutes.  so, he didnt go.  bjork sang all parts, as she does in the film.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

i thought the actual actor sang in the film.....i remember because he's very out of tune......but then again, i haven't seen it in a long time

godardian

Yorke also duetted on Drugstore's single, "El Presidente," which has a chorus that goes, "Kill the president," and seems more timely now than when it was released...

aclockworkjj

talk show host is a very underrated song I believe...if it weren't for that movie...hmmm, could be close to one of their best...imho.

Jeremy Blackman

Talk Show Host is definitely one of their best.

Quote from: godardianYorke also duetted on Drugstore's single, "El Presidente," which has a course that goes, "Kill the president," and seems more timely now than when it was released...
It's a really annoying song, though.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIt's a really annoying song, though.
and a very unappealing video.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanTalk Show Host is definitely one of their best.

Quote from: godardianYorke also duetted on Drugstore's single, "El Presidente," which has a course that goes, "Kill the president," and seems more timely now than when it was released...
It's a really annoying song, though.

Well, I like it better than the current Radiohead stuff. Drugstore's earlier album was a sight better, though.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianWell, I like it better than the current Radiohead stuff.

Morrissey has warped your mind. Curse you, Godardian!