20,000 Days on Earth

Started by MacGuffin, September 21, 2014, 07:24:52 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: September 19, 2014

Starring: Nick Cave, Susie Bick, Warren Ellis, Darian Leader, Ray Winstone, Blixa Bargeld, Kylie Minogue

Directed by: Iain Forsyth, Jane Pollard

Premise: Writer and musician Nick Cave marks his 20,000th day on the planet Earth.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Garam

I like Nick Cave but he has to be one of the biggest egomaniacs in the music industry.

On his last album he wrote a song about what he did right after he wrote another song on the album. He had more of a sense of humour in his Birthday Party days...his music was better back then too...

I'll be curious to see the extent to which they concealed his baldness.

ElPandaRoyal

I think Push the SKy Way was one of, if not his best album. And certainly the concert I saw of his last year was one of the greatest experiences I ever had with live music. He and his band were phenomenal on stage, it was hypnotic.

Egomaniac or not, he's great and I loved this trailer. I'm in.
Si

Garam

This film's worth watching but only if you're a fan. It's not made for people who don't know the guy, it doesn't give you any context to his career or background at all. There are scenes that feature him having imaginary conversations in his car with Blixa Bargeld, Kylie Minogue and Ray Winstone. If you don't know why they're in the car, the film doesn't help you. The conversation with Blixa especially is very specific to the ending of their professional career, which is cool for me cause i'm a fan, but any casual listener will have no idea who this is and what they're talking about, and why it's so important to both of them.

He veers between being very self-effacing, open and likeable and coming across as the most laughably overblown art student adolescent in the world. The ending shot is one of the silliest things i've seen in a long time.

But yeah he is the one of the greatest musicians of his generation and deserves a film, and this is more interesting than most rock bios. I do wish there was more about the early years, but that's just wishing for a different film. It is what it is. Almost of the live performances are from Push the Sky Away.