Richard Ashcroft/The Verve (new single and video out/ Ri still hot)

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 04, 2003, 11:58:11 AM

Redlum

Urban Hyms is solid. Never ever get bored of listening to it.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

NEON MERCURY

damn.....i was just listening to urban hymns again....and the drugs don't work has be an example of a flawless song.......it phucking sucks that the verve is no longer.....i have both ashcroft's ....and i thonk alone w/ everybody is better as a whole than human conditions.....but check the meaning is the best song he has written solo.....poeple need to buy his sh*t....

SoNowThen

And people need to pay more attention to early Verve. History could be their best song.

But the 1st album is soooooooo brilliant. One of my favorite writing cds. He did See You In The Next One at the acoustic show I saw, and put 30 second pauses in the silent parts, then he'd kick back into it. It was perfection.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: NEON MERCURYand i thonk alone w/ everybody is better as a whole than human conditions.....but check the meaning is the best song he has written solo.....poeple need to buy his sh*t....
god in the numbers is ekzellent also.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SoNowThenAnd people need to pay more attention to early Verve. History could be their best song.

...i have A Strom in Heaven , A Nothern Soul , and Hymnns....i use to have that ep with the gravity grave song (live).....you're right about history......i thinks its their slow/balled-esque song s that rock.......i also like life's an ocean.......that line about .."buying some feelings ....from a vending machine".......<---------genius.........

SoNowThen

and the whole bass part to that song

amazing

yeah, that b-sides album is tops, too

any word on when RA is gonna release the next solo album?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

Quote from: SoNowThenany word on when RA is gonna release the next solo album?
"early this year" according to the official website.

SoNowThen

SHAFTR

I have Alone with Everybody and I really like it.  How is Human Conditions?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Pubrick

bout the same. more stringy. check the meaning itself is better than AWE.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SHAFTRI have Alone with Everybody and I really like it.  How is Human Conditions?

...i personally don't thinkit is as good as AWE..but if you liked AWE ...get  Human Conditions anyway...its still solid.....and like P said...check the meaning is worth the monney just for that one song.....its flawless.....God in the numbers is good...and science of silence, and the miracle...buy it in bottles ...all are good..............just get it though.....

SoNowThen

The last track, w/ Brian Wilson, is my personal fav.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SoNowThenThe last track, w/ Brian Wilson, is my personal fav.

....you must have a different version or something...b/c the last track on my cd is "the miracle".... :? ......i know the song you speak of-nature is the law ..and yes its good

Pwaybloe

I wish I could comment on Ashcroft's new one, but I still haven't gotten around to buying it yet... lazy.  I have heard "Check the Meaning."

A piece from the auto-biography of Pawbloe:
"When I was in college, I dated a girl for about 2 years.  We broke up... well, she broke up with me.  For about a month or so all I listened to was 'A Northern Soul' and (more importantly) the song 'History.'

'Because it's you and me, we're (sniff) history
There ain't nothing left to say (sob)'"

All jokes aside, that's a true story.